Sunday 19 April 2015

Qohelet 2

This is a long argument with 10 words repeating more than seven times. Basically, there is nothing left - so what is left? [changed this gloss to variations on advantage] Nothing for the earthling, except for this preacher, if Solomon, a memory of excess. So is there a residue of non-futility for the earth's Adam? If you consider the end of suffering that is in the presence of that second Earthling who gave his life for the life of the world. Qohelet exposes the presence of death as enemy. Qohelet will return to this in chapter 9.

Qohelet 2 Fn Min Max Syll
אָמַ֤רְתִּֽי אֲנִי֙ בְּלִבִּ֔י לְכָה־נָּ֛א אֲנַסְּכָ֛ה בְשִׂמְחָ֖ה וּרְאֵ֣ה בְט֑וֹב
וְהִנֵּ֥ה גַם־ה֖וּא הָֽבֶל
1 I myself said in my heart, go on please.
I will spill out gladness and see into good.
And note well, even this is futility.
3d 4C 21
7
לִשְׂח֖וֹק אָמַ֣רְתִּי מְהוֹלָ֑ל
וּלְשִׂמְחָ֖ה מַה־זֹּ֥ה עֹשָֽׂה
2 Of laughter I said, Boasting,
and of gladness, What does it do?
3e 4B 8
7
תַּ֣רְתִּי בְלִבִּ֔י לִמְשׁ֥וֹךְ בַּיַּ֖יִן אֶת־בְּשָׂרִ֑י
וְלִבִּ֞י נֹהֵ֤ג בַּֽחָכְמָה֙ וְלֶאֱחֹ֣ז בְּסִכְל֔וּת עַ֣ד אֲשֶׁר־אֶרְאֶ֗ה אֵי־זֶ֨ה ט֜וֹב לִבְנֵ֤י הָאָדָם֙ אֲשֶׁ֤ר יַעֲשׂוּ֙ תַּ֣חַת הַשָּׁמַ֔יִם מִסְפַּ֖ר יְמֵ֥י חַיֵּיהֶֽם
3 B I explored in my heart to draw away my flesh into wine,
my heart drove itself with shrewdness, and to hold fast into silliness until I could see what is this good for the children of the earthling that they do under the heavens in the record of the days of their lives.
3e 4C 13
45
הִגְדַּ֖לְתִּי מַעֲשָׂ֑י
בָּנִ֤יתִי לִי֙ בָּתִּ֔ים נָטַ֥עְתִּי לִ֖י כְּרָמִֽים
4 I made myself great from deeds.
I built for me houses. I planted for me vineyards.
3e 4C 6
13
עָשִׂ֣יתִי לִ֔י גַּנּ֖וֹת וּפַרְדֵּסִ֑ים
וְנָטַ֥עְתִּי בָהֶ֖ם עֵ֥ץ כָּל־פֶּֽרִי
5 I made, for me, gardens and orchards,
and I planted in them every type of fruit tree.
3e 4B 10
10
עָשִׂ֥יתִי לִ֖י בְּרֵכ֣וֹת מָ֑יִם
לְהַשְׁק֣וֹת מֵהֶ֔ם יַ֖עַר צוֹמֵ֥חַ עֵצִֽים
6 I made, for me, blessing pools of water,
to irrigate from them the forest growing from the trees.
3e 4B 9
12
קָנִ֙יתִי֙ עֲבָדִ֣ים וּשְׁפָח֔וֹת וּבְנֵי־בַ֖יִת הָ֣יָה לִ֑י
גַּ֣ם מִקְנֶה֩ בָקָ֨ר וָצֹ֤אן הַרְבֵּה֙ הָ֣יָה לִ֔י מִכֹּ֛ל שֶֽׁהָי֥וּ לְפָנַ֖י בִּירוּשָׁלִָֽם
7 I purchased slaves and slave-girls, and children of the house I had, for me,
even more livestock, oxen and sheep, for me, than all who were before me in Jerusalem.
3d 4C 15
24
כָּנַ֤סְתִּי לִי֙ גַּם־כֶּ֣סֶף וְזָהָ֔ב וּסְגֻלַּ֥ת מְלָכִ֖ים וְהַמְּדִינ֑וֹת
עָשִׂ֨יתִי לִ֜י שָׁרִ֣ים וְשָׁר֗וֹת וְתַעֲנוּגֹ֛ת בְּנֵ֥י הָאָדָ֖ם שִׁדָּ֥ה וְשִׁדּֽוֹת
8 I garnered, for me, even silver and gold and the treasure trove of kings and the provinces.
I made, for me, singers male and singers female and the exquisite delights of the children of the earthling, concubines galore.
3d 4C 20
24
וְגָדַ֣לְתִּי וְהוֹסַ֔פְתִּי מִכֹּ֛ל שֶׁהָיָ֥ה לְפָנַ֖י בִּירוּשָׁלִָ֑ם
אַ֥ף חָכְמָתִ֖י עָ֥מְדָה לִּֽי
9 So I was great and I had added more than all that were before me in Jerusalem.
Also my shrewdness stood with me.
3d 4B 20
7
וְכֹל֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר שָֽׁאֲל֣וּ עֵינַ֔י לֹ֥א אָצַ֖לְתִּי מֵהֶ֑ם
לֹֽא־מָנַ֨עְתִּי אֶת־לִבִּ֜י מִכָּל־שִׂמְחָ֗ה כִּֽי־לִבִּ֤י שָׂמֵ֙חַ֙ מִכָּל־עֲמָלִ֔י וְזֶֽה־הָיָ֥ה חֶלְקִ֖י מִכָּל־עֲמָלִֽי
10 And all that my eyes required I did not hold in reserve from them.
I did not withhold my heart from any gladness, for my heart was glad from all my toil, for this was my share from all my toil.
3e 4C 15
31
וּפָנִ֣יתִֽי אֲנִ֗י בְּכָל־מַעֲשַׂי֙ שֶֽׁעָשׂ֣וּ יָדַ֔י וּבֶֽעָמָ֖ל שֶׁעָמַ֣לְתִּי לַעֲשׂ֑וֹת
וְהִנֵּ֨ה הַכֹּ֥ל הֶ֙בֶל֙ וּרְע֣וּת ר֔וּחַ וְאֵ֥ין יִתְר֖וֹן תַּ֥חַת הַשָּֽׁמֶשׁ
11 Then I myself faced in all my deeds that my hands had done and in the toil that I had toiled in the doing.
And note well: total futility and tending of wind, for there is no advantage to it under the sun.
3e 4B 27
20
וּפָנִ֤יתִֽי אֲנִי֙ לִרְא֣וֹת חָכְמָ֔ה וְהוֹלֵל֖וֹת וְסִכְל֑וּת
כִּ֣י ׀ מֶ֣ה הָאָדָ֗ם שֶׁיָּבוֹא֙ אַחֲרֵ֣י הַמֶּ֔לֶךְ אֵ֥ת אֲשֶׁר־כְּבָ֖ר עָשֽׂוּהוּ
12 Then I myself faced the appearance of shrewdness and boasting and silliness,
for what about the earthling that comes after what the king has already done?
3e 4C 17
22
וְרָאִ֣יתִי אָ֔נִי שֶׁיֵּ֥שׁ יִתְר֛וֹן לַֽחָכְמָ֖ה מִן־הַסִּכְל֑וּת
כִּֽיתְר֥וֹן הָא֖וֹר מִן־הַחֹֽשֶׁךְ
13 But I myself saw that there is some advantage in shrewdness over silliness,
like the advantage of the light over the darkness.
3d 4B 17
8
הֶֽחָכָם֙ עֵינָ֣יו בְּרֹאשׁ֔וֹ וְהַכְּסִ֖יל בַּחֹ֣שֶׁךְ הוֹלֵ֑ךְ
וְיָדַ֣עְתִּי גַם־אָ֔נִי שֶׁמִּקְרֶ֥ה אֶחָ֖ד יִקְרֶ֥ה אֶת־כֻּלָּֽם
14 The eyes of one who is shrewd are in its head but the dullard walks in darkness,
and I knew, even I, that one scandal eventually meets them all.
3e 4B 16
17
וְאָמַ֨רְתִּֽי אֲנִ֜י בְּלִבִּ֗י כְּמִקְרֵ֤ה הַכְּסִיל֙ גַּם־אֲנִ֣י יִקְרֵ֔נִי וְלָ֧מָּה חָכַ֛מְתִּי אֲנִ֖י אָ֣ז יוֹתֵ֑ר
וְדִבַּ֣רְתִּי בְלִבִּ֔י שֶׁגַּם־זֶ֖ה הָֽבֶל
15 And I myself said in my heart, As it eventually meets the dullard it will eventually meet even me so why then (I myself am shrewd) is there advantage?
Then I spoke in my heart that even this is futility.
3c 4C 31
12
כִּי֩ אֵ֨ין זִכְר֧וֹן לֶחָכָ֛ם עִֽם־הַכְּסִ֖יל לְעוֹלָ֑ם
בְּשֶׁכְּבָ֞ר הַיָּמִ֤ים הַבָּאִים֙ הַכֹּ֣ל נִשְׁכָּ֔ח וְאֵ֛יךְ יָמ֥וּת הֶחָכָ֖ם עִֽם־הַכְּסִֽיל
16 ~ For there is no memory of the shrewd or the dullard for ever,
in that already in the days to come the whole will be forgotten and so it is that the shrewd dies with the dullard.
3c 4C 13
23
וְשָׂנֵ֙אתִי֙ אֶת־הַ֣חַיִּ֔ים כִּ֣י רַ֤ע עָלַי֙ הַֽמַּעֲשֶׂ֔ה שֶׁנַּעֲשָׂ֖ה תַּ֣חַת הַשָּׁ֑מֶשׁ
כִּֽי־הַכֹּ֥ל הֶ֖בֶל וּרְע֥וּת רֽוּחַ
17 So I hated those lives, for evil to me was the deed that was done under the sun,
for it is a total futility and tending of wind.
3e 4C 25
8
וְשָׂנֵ֤אתִֽי אֲנִי֙ אֶת־כָּל־עֲמָלִ֔י שֶׁאֲנִ֥י עָמֵ֖ל תַּ֣חַת הַשָּׁ֑מֶשׁ
שֶׁ֣אַנִּיחֶ֔נּוּ לָאָדָ֖ם שֶׁיִּהְיֶ֥ה אַחֲרָֽי
18 And I myself hated all my toil that I myself toiled for under the sun,
that I must leave it to the earthling that will be after me.
3e 4C 21
14
וּמִ֣י יוֹדֵ֗עַ הֶֽחָכָ֤ם יִהְיֶה֙ א֣וֹ סָכָ֔ל וְיִשְׁלַט֙ בְּכָל־עֲמָלִ֔י שֶֽׁעָמַ֥לְתִּי וְשֶׁחָכַ֖מְתִּי תַּ֣חַת הַשָּׁ֑מֶשׁ
גַּם־זֶ֖ה הָֽבֶל
19 B And who knows if that one will be shrewd or silly? Yet it will have authority over all my toil which I toiled for and in which I was shrewd under the sun.
So this is futility.
3e 4C 35
4
וְסַבּ֥וֹתִֽי אֲנִ֖י לְיַאֵ֣שׁ אֶת־לִבִּ֑י
עַ֚ל כָּל־הֶ֣עָמָ֔ל שֶׁעָמַ֖לְתִּי תַּ֥חַת הַשָּֽׁמֶשׁ
20 So I myself circled, my heart in despair,
over all the toil that I toiled under the sun.
3e 4C 12
14
כִּי־יֵ֣שׁ אָדָ֗ם שֶׁעֲמָל֛וֹ בְּחָכְמָ֥ה וּבְדַ֖עַת וּבְכִשְׁר֑וֹן
וּלְאָדָ֞ם שֶׁלֹּ֤א עָֽמַל־בּוֹ֙ יִתְּנֶ֣נּוּ חֶלְק֔וֹ גַּם־זֶ֥ה הֶ֖בֶל וְרָעָ֥ה רַבָּֽה
21 For here is an earthling whose toil is in shrewdness and in knowledge and in success,
and to an earthling that did not toil for it, he will give it as its share.
This also is futility and much evil.
3d 4C 17
22
כִּ֠י מֶֽה־הֹוֶ֤ה לָֽאָדָם֙ בְּכָל־עֲמָל֔וֹ וּבְרַעְי֖וֹן לִבּ֑וֹ
שֶׁה֥וּא עָמֵ֖ל תַּ֥חַת הַשָּֽׁמֶשׁ
22 ~ For what is there for an earthling in all its toil and its heart's tending,
that is its own toil under the sun?
3e 4C 17
9
כִּ֧י כָל־יָמָ֣יו מַכְאֹבִ֗ים וָכַ֙עַס֙ עִנְיָנ֔וֹ גַּם־בַּלַּ֖יְלָה לֹא־שָׁכַ֣ב לִבּ֑ו
גַּם־זֶ֖ה הֶ֥בֶל הֽוּא
23 c For all its days are sorrows, and grief its business. Even in the night there is no lying down for its heart.
Even this is its futility.
3c 4B 21
5
אֵֽין־ט֤וֹב בָּאָדָם֙ שֶׁיֹּאכַ֣ל וְשָׁתָ֔ה וְהֶרְאָ֧ה אֶת־נַפְשׁ֛וֹ ט֖וֹב בַּעֲמָל֑וֹ
גַּם־זֹה֙ רָאִ֣יתִי אָ֔נִי כִּ֛י מִיַּ֥ד הָאֱלֹהִ֖ים הִֽיא
24 There is nothing good in the earthling that eats and imbibes and makes itself see good in its toil.
Even this I myself saw, for from the hand of God it is.
3c 4C 22
15
כִּ֣י מִ֥י יֹאכַ֛ל וּמִ֥י יָח֖וּשׁ ח֥וּץ מִמֶּֽנִּי 25 B For who eats or who hurries outside more than I? 3d 4B 12
כִּ֤י לְאָדָם֙ שֶׁטּ֣וֹב לְפָנָ֔יו נָתַ֛ן חָכְמָ֥ה וְדַ֖עַת וְשִׂמְחָ֑ה
וְלַחוֹטֶא֩ נָתַ֨ן עִנְיָ֜ן לֶאֱס֣וֹף וְלִכְנ֗וֹס לָתֵת֙ לְטוֹב֙ לִפְנֵ֣י הָֽאֱלֹהִ֔ים גַּם־זֶ֥ה הֶ֖בֶל וּרְע֥וּת רֽוּחַ
26 C For to an earthling that is good in his presence, he gives shrewdness and knowledge and gladness.
But to a sinner he gives business to gather and to garner, to give for goodness before God. Even this is futility and tending of wind.
3d 4C 19
32


No comments:

Post a Comment