Tuesday 20 October 2015

Job 12-13

Job works up to a bold confrontation with the God implied by his three friends. (The fourth column below is the syllable count on either side of the atnach. There are no ole-veyored cadences in the text in these two chapters).

Job 12 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיַּ֥עַן אִיּ֗וֹב וַיֹּאמַֽר 1 And Job answered and said, 3e 3f 8
אָ֭מְנָם כִּ֣י אַתֶּם־עָ֑ם
וְ֝עִמָּכֶ֗ם תָּמ֥וּת חָכְמָֽה
2 g Truly for you are the people,
and with you wisdom is complete.
3e 4B 6
8
גַּם־לִ֤י לֵבָ֨ב ׀ כְּֽמוֹכֶ֗ם לֹא־נֹפֵ֣ל אָנֹכִ֣י מִכֶּ֑ם
וְאֶת־מִי־אֵ֥ין כְּמוֹ־אֵֽלֶּה
3 But I also have a heart just like you. I myself do not fall behind you,
and is there anyone who is not like these?
3e 4C 14
7
שְׂחֹ֤ק לְרֵעֵ֨הוּ ׀ אֶֽהְיֶ֗ה קֹרֵ֣א לֶ֭אֱלוֹהַּ וַֽיַּעֲנֵ֑הוּ
שְׂ֝ח֗וֹק צַדִּ֥יק תָּמִֽים
4 I have become a laugh to his friend. He called on God and he answered him!
Laughter, a righteous one, one who is complete.
3e 4C 19
6
לַפִּ֣יד בּ֭וּז לְעַשְׁתּ֣וּת שַׁאֲנָ֑ן
נָ֝כ֗וֹן לְמ֣וֹעֲדֵי רָֽגֶל
5 A torch of contempt in the gleams of one without a care,
established for the unstable of foot.
3e 4B 9
8
יִשְׁלָ֤יוּ אֹֽהָלִ֨ים ׀ לְשֹׁ֥דְדִ֗ים וּֽ֭בַטֻּחוֹת לְמַרְגִּ֣יזֵי אֵ֑ל
לַאֲשֶׁ֤ר הֵבִ֖יא אֱל֣וֹהַּ בְּיָדֽוֹ
6 The tents of the devastator are at ease, and trust belongs to those who make the One shudder,
into whose hand God comes.
3e 4C 18
11
וְֽאוּלָ֗ם שְׁאַל־נָ֣א בְהֵמ֣וֹת וְתֹרֶ֑ךָּ
וְע֥וֹף הַ֝שָּׁמַ֗יִם וְיַגֶּד־לָֽךְ
7 "Ask, however, if you will, the beasts, and they will instruct you,
or the fowl of the heavens and they will make it evident to you.
3e 4B 13
9
א֤וֹ שִׂ֣יחַ לָאָ֣רֶץ וְתֹרֶ֑ךָּ
וִֽיסַפְּר֥וּ לְ֝ךָ֗ דְּגֵ֣י הַיָּֽם
8 C Or ponder on the earth and she will instruct you,
or the fishes of the sea will recount it to you"
3e 4C 10
9
מִ֭י לֹא־יָדַ֣ע בְּכָל־אֵ֑לֶּה
כִּ֥י יַד־יְ֝הוָה עָ֣שְׂתָה זֹּֽאת
9 g Who does not know among all these,
that the hand of Yahweh has done this?
3e 4B 7
7
אֲשֶׁ֣ר בְּ֭יָדוֹ נֶ֣פֶשׁ כָּל־חָ֑י
וְ֝ר֗וּחַ כָּל־בְּשַׂר־אִֽישׁ
10 that in his hand is the being of all living,
and the spirit of all the flesh of a person?
3e 4B 9
7
הֲלֹא־אֹ֭זֶן מִלִּ֣ין תִּבְחָ֑ן
וְ֝חֵ֗ךְ אֹ֣כֶל יִטְעַם־לֽוֹ
11 Does not an ear test speeches,
and a palate taste its food?
3e 4B 7
7
בִּֽישִׁישִׁ֥ים חָכְמָ֑ה
וְאֹ֖רֶךְ יָמִ֣ים תְּבוּנָֽה
12 "With the timeworn is wisdom,
and with length of days acumen.
3e 4B 5
8
עִ֭מּוֹ חָכְמָ֣ה וּגְבוּרָ֑ה
ל֝֗וֹ עֵצָ֥ה וּתְבוּנָֽה
13 g With him is wisdom and valour.
Of him is counsel and acumen."
3e 4B 7
6
הֵ֣ן יַ֭הֲרוֹס וְלֹ֣א יִבָּנֶ֑ה
יִסְגֹּ֥ר עַל־אִ֝֗ישׁ וְלֹ֣א יִפָּתֵֽחַ
14 B Lo, he overthrows and it will not be built,
he imprisons someone and it will not be opened.
3e 4B 9
10
הֵ֤ן יַעְצֹ֣ר בַּמַּ֣יִם וְיִבָ֑שׁוּ
וִֽ֝ישַׁלְּחֵ֗ם וְיַ֖הַפְכוּ אָֽרֶץ
15 C Lo, he contains the waters and they dry up.
He sends them out and they change earth.
3e 4C 9
9
עִ֭מּוֹ עֹ֣ז וְתֽוּשִׁיָּ֑ה
ל֝֗וֹ שֹׁגֵ֥ג וּמַשְׁגֶּֽה
16 g With him is strength and enterprise.
Of him is the stray and the going astray.
3e 4B 7
6
מוֹלִ֣יךְ יוֹעֲצִ֣ים שׁוֹלָ֑ל
וְֽשֹׁפְטִ֥ים יְהוֹלֵֽל
17 He cuts down conspiracies spoiled,
and makes judges dunderheads.
3e 4B 7
6
מוּסַ֣ר מְלָכִ֣ים פִּתֵּ֑חַ
וַיֶּאְסֹ֥ר אֵ֝ז֗וֹר בְּמָתְנֵיהֶֽם
18 Chastening kings he opens,
and straps a girdle into their endowments.
3e 4B 8
9
מוֹלִ֣יךְ כֹּהֲנִ֣ים שׁוֹלָ֑ל
וְאֵֽתָנִ֣ים יְסַלֵּֽף
19 He cuts down priests taken as spoil,
and the perennial he undermines.
3e 4B 7
7
מֵסִ֣יר שָׂ֭פָה לְנֶאֱמָנִ֑ים
וְטַ֖עַם זְקֵנִ֣ים יִקָּֽח
20 He turns aside lips from those who have faith in themselves,
and the discretion of the elders he takes away.
3e 4B 9
8
שׁוֹפֵ֣ךְ בּ֭וּז עַל־נְדִיבִ֑ים
וּמְזִ֖יחַ אֲפִיקִ֣ים רִפָּֽה
21 He pours contempt on princes,
and the dam of the channels he heals.
3e 4B 7
8
מְגַלֶּ֣ה עֲ֭מֻקוֹת מִנִּי־חֹ֑שֶׁךְ
וַיֹּצֵ֖א לָא֣וֹר צַלְמָֽוֶת
22 He uncovers the inscrutable out of darkness,
and brings forth the shadow of death into the light.
3e 4B 9
8
מַשְׂגִּ֣יא לַ֭גּוֹיִם וַֽיְאַבְּדֵ֑ם
שֹׁטֵ֥חַ לַ֝גּוֹיִ֗ם וַיַּנְחֵֽם
23 He augments the nations to make them perish,
unfolding the nations to comfort them.
3e 4B 8
9
מֵסִ֗יר לֵ֭ב רָאשֵׁ֣י עַם־הָאָ֑רֶץ
וַ֝יַּתְעֵ֗ם בְּתֹ֣הוּ לֹא־דָֽרֶךְ
24 He turns aside the heart of the head of the people of the earth,
and makes them wander in disorder without a way.
3e 4B 9
8
יְמַֽשְׁשׁוּ־חֹ֥שֶׁךְ וְלֹא־א֑וֹר
וַ֝יַּתְעֵ֗ם כַּשִּׁכּֽוֹר
25 They grope darkness and not light,
and he makes them wander as if intoxicated.
3e 4A 7
6
Job 13 Fn Min Max Syll
הֶן־כֹּ֭ל רָאֲתָ֣ה עֵינִ֑י
שָֽׁמְעָ֥ה אָ֝זְנִ֗י וַתָּ֥בֶן לָֽהּ
1 Lo, my eye has seen all.
My ear has heard and understood for herself.
3e 4B 7
8
כְּֽ֭דַעְתְּכֶם יָדַ֣עְתִּי גַם־אָ֑נִי
לֹא־נֹפֵ֖ל אָנֹכִ֣י מִכֶּֽם
2 Even as you know, I know, even I.
I myself do not fall behind you.
3e 4B 10
7
אוּלָ֗ם אֲ֭נִי אֶל־שַׁדַּ֣י אֲדַבֵּ֑ר
וְהוֹכֵ֖חַ אֶל־אֵ֣ל אֶחְפָּֽץ
3 "However, to the Sufficient I myself would speak",
but a referee to the One I would delight in.
3e 4B 10
8
וְֽאוּלָ֗ם אַתֶּ֥ם טֹֽפְלֵי־שָׁ֑קֶר
רֹפְאֵ֖י אֱלִ֣ל כֻּלְּכֶֽם
4 But, however, for you, smearers of falsehood,
good for nothing physicians, the lot of you.
3e 4B 8
6
מִֽי־יִ֭תֵּן הַחֲרֵ֣שׁ תַּחֲרִישׁ֑וּן
וּתְהִ֖י לָכֶ֣ם לְחָכְמָֽה
5 Who will give silence and make you keep silent?
It would be wisdom to you.
3e 4B 9
7
שִׁמְעוּ־נָ֥א תוֹכַחְתִּ֑י
וְרִב֖וֹת שְׂפָתַ֣י הַקְשִֽׁיבוּ
6 Hear if you will my correction,
and to the contentions of my lips attend.
3e 4B 5
9
הַ֭לְאֵל תְּדַבְּר֣וּ עַוְלָ֑ה
וְ֝ל֗וֹ תְּֽדַבְּר֥וּ רְמִיָּֽה
7 g Will you of the One speak injustice?
and of him speak deceit?
3e 4B 7
8
הֲפָנָ֥יו תִּשָּׂא֑וּן
אִם־לָאֵ֥ל תְּרִיבֽוּן
8 Are you his presence bearing,
as if for the One do you contend?
3e 4A 6
6
הֲ֭טוֹב כִּֽי־יַחְקֹ֣ר אֶתְכֶ֑ם
אִם־כְּהָתֵ֥ל בֶּ֝אֱנ֗וֹשׁ תְּהָתֵ֥לּוּ בֽוֹ
9 g Is it good that he should examine you,
or is it as jesting with a mortal that you jest with him?
3e 4B 7
12
הוֹכֵ֣חַ יוֹכִ֣יחַ אֶתְכֶ֑ם
אִם־בַּ֝סֵּ֗תֶר פָּנִ֥ים תִּשָּׂאֽוּן
10 Reproof? He will reprove you,
if in secret you bear presence.
3e 4B 8
9
הֲלֹ֣א שְׂ֭אֵתוֹ תְּבַעֵ֣ת אֶתְכֶ֑ם
וּ֝פַחְדּ֗וֹ יִפֹּ֥ל עֲלֵיכֶֽם
11 Does not his being lifted up alarm you?
and his dread fall on you?
3e 4B 10
8
זִֽ֭כְרֹנֵיכֶם מִשְׁלֵי־אֵ֑פֶר
לְגַבֵּי־חֹ֝֗מֶר גַּבֵּיכֶֽם
12 Your memorials are a parable of ashes.
Backs of red mud, your backs.
3e 4A 7
7
הַחֲרִ֣ישׁוּ מִ֭מֶּנִּי וַאֲדַבְּרָה־אָ֑נִי
וְיַעֲבֹ֖ר עָלַ֣י מָֽה
13 Be silent. Back off from me and I myself will speak,
and and let him pass through me, whatever.
3e 4B 13
7
עַל־מָ֤ה ׀ אֶשָּׂ֣א בְשָׂרִ֣י בְשִׁנָּ֑י
וְ֝נַפְשִׁ֗י אָשִׂ֥ים בְּכַפִּֽי
14 And so what! I will lift up my flesh by my teeth,
and set myself in place in my palm.
3e 4C 10
8
הֵ֣ן יִ֭קְטְלֵנִי ל֣וֹ אֲיַחֵ֑ל
אַךְ־דְּ֝רָכַ֗י אֶל־פָּנָ֥יו אוֹכִֽיחַ
15 B Lo, he will kill me. I should not have hope,
Surely my ways to his presence I will reasoning prove.
3e 4B 9
10
גַּם־הוּא־לִ֥י לִֽישׁוּעָ֑ה
כִּי־לֹ֥א לְ֝פָנָ֗יו חָנֵ֥ף יָבֽוֹא
16 He also is my salvation,
for a hypocrite will not come into his presence.
3e 4A 6
8
שִׁמְע֣וּ שָׁ֭מוֹעַ מִלָּתִ֑י
וְ֝אַֽחֲוָתִ֗י בְּאָזְנֵיכֶֽם
17 Hear, to hear my speeches,
and my discourse with your ears.
3e 4B 8
9
הִנֵּה־נָ֭א עָרַ֣כְתִּי מִשְׁפָּ֑ט
יָ֝דַ֗עְתִּי כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י אֶצְדָּֽק
18 Behold if you will, I have arranged judgment.
I know, for I will be just.
3e 4B 8
7
מִי־ה֭וּא יָרִ֣יב עִמָּדִ֑י
כִּֽי־עַתָּ֖ה אַחֲרִ֣ישׁ וְאֶגְוָֽע
19 Who is he who will contend against me!
For I will be silent and expire.
3e 4B 6
8
אַךְ־שְׁ֭תַּיִם אַל־תַּ֣עַשׂ עִמָּדִ֑י
אָ֥ז מִ֝פָּנֶ֗יךָ לֹ֣א אֶסָּתֵֽר
20 But two things do not do against me,
then from your presence I will not hide.
3e 4B 9
9
כַּ֭פְּךָ מֵעָלַ֣י הַרְחַ֑ק
וְ֝אֵ֥מָתְךָ֗ אַֽל־תְּבַעֲתַֽנִּי
21 g Your palm put at a distance from me,
and your truth, let it not alarm me.
3e 4B 7
10
וּ֭קְרָא וְאָנֹכִ֣י אֶֽעֱנֶ֑ה
אֽוֹ־אֲ֝דַבֵּ֗ר וַהֲשִׁיבֵֽנִי
22 g Then call and I myself will answer,
or I will speak and you will turn to me.
3e 4B 9
8
כַּמָּ֣ה לִ֭י עֲוֺנ֣וֹת וְחַטָּא֑וֹת
פִּֽשְׁעִ֥י וְ֝חַטָּאתִ֗י הֹדִיעֵֽנִי
23 For what to me are iniquities and sins?
My transgression and my sin, make me know.
3e 4B 10
10
לָֽמָּה־פָנֶ֥יךָ תַסְתִּ֑יר
וְתַחְשְׁבֵ֖נִי לְאוֹיֵ֣ב לָֽךְ
24 Why do you hide your face,
and reckon me as your enemy?
3e 4B 7
9
הֶעָלֶ֣ה נִדָּ֣ף תַּעֲר֑וֹץ
וְאֶת־קַ֖שׁ יָבֵ֣שׁ תִּרְדֹּֽף
25 Will you be ruthless with a wind-blown leaf?
and dried up stubble will you pursue?
3e 4B 8
7
כִּֽי־תִכְתֹּ֣ב עָלַ֣י מְרֹר֑וֹת
וְ֝תוֹרִישֵׁ֗נִי עֲוֺנ֥וֹת נְעוּרָֽי
26 For you write against me bitter things,
and you cast in me the iniquities of my youth.
3e 4B 8
11
וְתָ֘שֵׂ֤ם בַּסַּ֨ד ׀ רַגְלַ֗י וְתִשְׁמ֥וֹר כָּל־אָרְחוֹתָ֑י
עַל־שָׁרְשֵׁ֥י רַ֝גְלַ֗י תִּתְחַקֶּֽה
27 And you put my feet in the stocks and you watch all my paths.
The roots of my feet you engrave.
3e 4C 14
8
וְ֭הוּא כְּרָקָ֣ב יִבְלֶ֑ה
כְּ֝בֶ֗גֶד אֲכָ֣לוֹ עָֽשׁ
28 g And this, as something rotten, fades,
as a moth-eaten garment.
3e 4B 7
7


No comments:

Post a Comment