Tuesday 29 March 2011

The answer to the puzzle in The Doe lesson 1

If you really wanted to do this exercise, you would read the poem, making a list in order of the repeated words. Then lay out a table with as many columns as you have words.  Then put the words into the table verse by verse in the order you encounter them in the text. Et voila...  Include bulls too - optional :)

Notice where the gap is in the middle of the verse 22 (mind the gap)

לַמְנַצֵּחַ עַל אַיֶּלֶת הַשַּׁחַר
מִזְמוֹר לְדָוִד
1For the leader to the hart of the dawn
A Psalm of David ...
סְבָבוּנִי פָּרִים רַבִּים
אַבִּירֵי בָשָׁן כִּתְּרוּנִי
13Many bulls circled me
The valiant of Bashan surrounded me
פָּצוּ עָלַי
פִּיהֶם אַרְיֵה טֹרֵף וְשֹׁאֵג
14They gape at me
their mouths a lion tearing and roaring
כַּמַּיִם נִשְׁפַּכְתִּי
וְהִתְפָּרְדוּ כָּל עַצְמוֹתָי
הָיָה לִבִּי כַּדּוֹנָג נָמֵס בְּתוֹךְ מֵעָי
15Like water I am poured out
and all my bones are separated
My heart is like wax melted in the midst of my loins
יָבֵשׁ כַּחֶרֶשׂ כֹּחִי
וּלְשׁוֹנִי מֻדְבָּק מַלְקוֹחָי
וְלַעֲפַר מָוֶת תִּשְׁפְּתֵנִי
16My strength is dried up like a potsherd
and my tongue cleaves to my jaws
and you will bring me into the dust of death
כִּי סְבָבוּנִי כְּלָבִים
עֲדַת מְרֵעִים הִקִּיפוּנִי
כָּאֲרִי יָדַי וְרַגְלָי
17For dogs circled me
An assembly of evildoers enclosed me
They gouge my hands and my feet
אֲסַפֵּר כָּל עַצְמוֹתָי
הֵמָּה יַבִּיטוּ יִרְאוּ בִי
18I will tell all my bones
They gape and stare at me
יְחַלְּקוּ בְגָדַי לָהֶם
וְעַל לְבוּשִׁי יַפִּילוּ גוֹרָל
19They part my clothing among them
and for my garment they cast lots
וְאַתָּה יְהוָה אַל תִּרְחָק
אֱיָלוּתִי לְעֶזְרָתִי חוּשָׁה
20But you, יְהוָה, you be not distant
My hart, to my help, hurry
הַצִּילָה מֵחֶרֶב נַפְשִׁי
מִיַּד כֶּלֶב יְחִידָתִי
21Deliver my being from the sword
my uniqueness away from the dog's paw
הוֹשִׁיעֵנִי מִפִּי אַרְיֵה
וּמִקַּרְנֵי רֵמִים עֲנִיתָנִי
22Save me from the lion's mouth
from the horns of wild bulls you have answered me

Root1234567Vs
סבב סבבוני
circled me
13
פה פיהם
their mouths
14
אריה * אריה
a lion
14
כל כל
all
15
עצם* עצמותי
my bones
15
סבב סבבוני
circled me
17
כלב * כלבים
dogs
17
יד ידי
my hands
17
כל כל
all
18
עצם* עצמותי
my bones
18
יד מיד
away from the paw
21
כלב * כלב
dog's
21
פה מפי
from the mouth
22
אריה * אריה
lion's
22


No comments:

Post a Comment