Friday 22 April 2011

Knock your socks off השועל בגרביים

Let's suppose for a moment that we don't know what sock means. How would we find out? Let's suppose that we don't know what תָם means. How would we find out? (maybe that should be השועל עם גרביים)

We have one useful thing, our life in the ear, mind, and body. We will have to sieve the usage of the word in question and then decide if we have got it. Sieves are useful - but they are full of holes.

So we will take all the usage of this word and see if we can discover meaning. Which word - why didn't you know that תָם means sock? Couldn't we figure out the meaning of sock from the usage?

When you have sock, you are upright. Psalms 25 and 37. When your enemy is socked, he is ruins. Psalm 9. You walk socked. Aha - we are getting somewhere. This metaphor is used repeatedly. Psalm 15 and as a frame in Psalm 26 - must be important. Also in Psalms 84 and 101. We have a theme!!!

From Psalm 18 we learn that God's way is socked - must be something good about sockiness. (Good and God are related words of course since they share so many letters.) When we are socked, God shows his socks. (Psalm 18:26) so we can be socked with him (verse 24) - this means keeping ourselves from guilt. Being socked is not only good - it might be important.

Psalm 18 also tells us that being socked is related to being clothed. Tov. Socks give you strength. Psalm 19 - and sockiness keeps things from ruling over you. Psalms 37 and 38 show us that being socked has something to do with peace. Socks are dangerous - you can get them filled up with terrors (Psalm 73). Also you could get socked from the earth or not - Psalms 102, 104. All in all though, sockiness has to do with  joy and avoiding shame. Sounds like it is worth investigating.

HebrewPsalm English
תֹּם וָיֹשֶׁר יִצְּרוּנִי
כִּי קִוִּיתִיךָ
25.21Translate me sock and upright
for I have waited for you
הָאוֹיֵב תַּמּוּ
חֳרָבוֹת לָנֶצַח
וְעָרִים נָתַשְׁתָּ
אָבַד זִכְרָם הֵמָּה
9.7Here the enemy is socked
ruins enduring
and cities you have destroyed
perished is their memory of them
הוֹלֵךְ תָּמִים
וּפֹעֵל צֶדֶק
וְדֹבֵר אֱמֶת בִּלְבָבוֹ
15.2One walking socked
and working righteousness
and speaking truth in the heart
וָאֱהִי תָמִים עִמּוֹ
וָאֶשְׁתַּמֵּר מֵעֲו‍ֹנִי
18.24and I will be socked with him
and I will keep myself from my guilt
עִם חָסִיד תִּתְחַסָּד
עִם גְּבַר תָּמִים תִּתַּמָּם
18.26with the kind you show yourself kind
with one sock you show yourself sock
הָאֵל תָּמִים דַּרְכּוֹ
אִמְרַת יְהוָה צְרוּפָה
מָגֵן הוּא לְכֹל הַחֹסִים בּוֹ
18.31This God, his way is sock
the promise of יְהוָה refined
he is a shield to all taking refuge in him
הָאֵל הַמְאַזְּרֵנִי חָיִל
וַיִּתֵּן תָּמִים דַּרְכִּי
18.33This God clothes me in strength
and he will give the sockiness of my way
גַּם מִזֵּדִים חֲשֹׂךְ עַבְדֶּךָ
אַל יִמְשְׁלוּ בִי
אָז אֵיתָם
וְנִקֵּיתִי מִפֶּשַׁע רָב
19.14Also from presumptions hold your servant
that they may not rule in me
Then I will be sock
and I will be clear of abundant sin
תּוֹרַת יְהוָה תְּמִימָה
מְשִׁיבַת נָפֶשׁ
עֵדוּת יְהוָה נֶאֱמָנָה
מַחְכִּימַת פֶּתִי
19.8The teaching of יְהוָה is sock
turning a life
The testimony of יְהוָה is nourishing
making wise simplicity
לְדָוִד
שָׁפְטֵנִי יְהוָה
כִּי אֲנִי בְּתֻמִּי הָלַכְתִּי
וּבַיהוָה בָּטַחְתִּי
לֹא אֶמְעָד
26.1Of David
Judge me יְהוָה
for I myself have walked in my sockiness
and in יְהוָה I trust
I will not slip
וַאֲנִי בְּתֻמִּי אֵלֵךְ
פְּדֵנִי וְחָנֵּנִי
26.11But I myself will walk in my sockiness
Ransom me and have mercy on me
יוֹדֵעַ יְהוָה יְמֵי תְמִימִם
וְנַחֲלָתָם לְעוֹלָם תִּהְיֶה
37.18יְהוָה intimates the days of the sock
and their inheritance will be forever
שְׁמָר תָּם וּרְאֵה יָשָׁר
כִּי אַחֲרִית לְאִישׁ שָׁלוֹם
37.37should you heed the sock or note the upright
because the result for this one is peace
אֵין מְתֹם בִּבְשָׂרִי
מִפְּנֵי זַעְמֶךָ
אֵין שָׁלוֹם בַּעֲצָמַי
מִפְּנֵי חַטָּאתִי
38.4and there is nothing sock in my flesh
in the face of your indignation
there is no peace in my bones
in the face of my sin
כִּי כְסָלַי מָלְאוּ נִקְלֶה
וְאֵין מְתֹם בִּבְשָׂרִי
38.8for my stupidity is a thorough disgrace
and there is nothing sock in my flesh
וַאֲנִי בְּתֻמִּי תָּמַכְתָּ בִּי
וַתַּצִּיבֵנִי לְפָנֶיךָ לְעוֹלָם
41.13but as for me, in my sockiness you hold onto me
and you set me up in your presence forever
לִירֹת בַּמִּסְתָּרִים תָּם
פִּתְאֹם יֹרֻהוּ וְלֹא יִירָאוּ
64.5in secret to shoot the sock
suddenly they shoot and they do not fear
יַחְפְּשׂוּ עוֹלֹת
תַּמְנוּ חֵפֶשׂ מְחֻפָּשׂ
וְקֶרֶב אִישׁ וְלֵב עָמֹק
64.7they plan injustice
they sock a master plan
of the inner person and deep heart
אֵיךְ הָיוּ לְשַׁמָּה כְרָגַע
סָפוּ תַמּוּ מִן בַּלָּהוֹת
73.19How suddenly they are wasted
Stopped, sock full with terrors
כִּי שֶׁמֶשׁ וּמָגֵן יְהוָה אֱלֹהִים
חֵן וְכָבוֹד יִתֵּן יְהוָה
לֹא יִמְנַע טוֹב
לַהֹלְכִים בְּתָמִים
84.12For battlement and shield is יְהוָה God
יְהוָה will give grace and glory
no good will he withhold
from those who walk in sockiness
אַשְׂכִּילָה בְּדֶרֶךְ תָּמִים
מָתַי תָּבוֹא אֵלָי
אֶתְהַלֵּךְ בְּתָם לְבָבִי בְּקֶרֶב בֵּיתִי
101.2I will teach insight in a way of sockiness
When will you come to me?
I will walk in the sockiness of my heart within my house
עֵינַי בְּנֶאֶמְנֵי אֶרֶץ
לָשֶׁבֶת עִמָּדִי
הֹלֵךְ בְּדֶרֶךְ תָּמִים
הוּא יְשָׁרְתֵנִי
101.6My eyes are on the faithful of earth
to live with me
walking in a way of sockiness
Such a one will serve me
וְאַתָּה הוּא
וּשְׁנוֹתֶיךָ לֹא יִתָּמּוּ
102.28but you are the same
and your years will not be socked
יִתַּמּוּ חַטָּאִים מִן הָאָרֶץ
וּרְשָׁעִים עוֹד אֵינָם
בָּרְכִי נַפְשִׁי אֶת יְהוָה
הַלְלוּ יָהּ
104.35sinners will be socked from the earth
and there is no time for the wicked
Bless יְהוָה O my being
Hallelu Yah
אַשְׁרֵי תְמִימֵי דָרֶךְ
הַהֹלְכִים בְּתוֹרַת יְהוָה
119.1All joy for those who are the sock of the way
who walk in the teaching of יְהוָה
יְהִי לִבִּי תָמִים בְּחֻקֶּיךָ
לְמַעַן לֹא אֵבוֹשׁ
119.80Yea, let my heart be sock in your statutes
so I will not be ashamed

This post is a response to going blue in German. 


No comments:

Post a Comment