Friday 22 July 2011

The unmeasurable state of affairs

My list of distinct glosses that do not conform to my rule is down below 50 and some of these are due to acrostic requirements where I must use a word that begins with a particular letter so I am not free to use my preferred gloss.  The compromise rate among these is very low - so I will leave off the process of considering verses and word usage across the whole Psalter and try and concentrate again on whole psalms.

What is this large living still life that I am trying to eat?

I have republished the glossary and lists of frames and I am now randomly republishing individual psalms. In the last two days there were more than 600 changes. I have some confidence that I have found most of the ones I can or should 'fix'. My paint brush had not stopped for nearly a week.

I am going to make notes as brief as possible - if any.  But I must move towards both understanding and expressivity. I wonder if that is possible for me.

It is curious to me that I got to psalm 90-91 before 'crashing' with the realization that I must refine the whole before proceeding further.  The singular for the merciful one - chasid, never occurs after psalm 86. It is in book 1 and forms a frame of the inner Elohistic Psalter, but only the plural chasidim, a word that dominates the final Hallels. It is as if the Psalter was designed to move from the singular example of self-governance to the full manifestation of the children of God who are known in the mercy and who know how to judge with mercy.

The whole world groans and travails ...

This chasid is one word I have just elected to translate with multiple differing glosses
חסיד the mercied one וּדְעוּ כִּי
הִפְלָה יְהוָה
חָסִיד לוֹ
יְהוָה יִשְׁמַע בְּקָרְאִי אֵלָיו
--4.4
Now set down this:
יְהוָה reserved
the mercied one as his own
יְהוָה will hear when I call to him

7/21/2011 4:39:23 PMset down this, literally, 'and know for', an allusion to T.S.Eliot, The Journey of the Magi
חסיד is the merciful one הוֹשִׁיעָה יְהוָה
כִּי גָמַר חָסִיד
כִּי פַסּוּ אֱמוּנִים
מִבְּנֵי אָדָם
-12.2
Save יְהוָה
for obliterated is the merciful one
for vanished are the faithful
among the children of dust

7/21/2011 4:41:12 PMvanished, פסס, (pss) a hapax
חסידך one within your refuge חסיד כִּי לֹא תַעֲזֹב נַפְשִׁי לִשְׁאוֹל
לֹא תִתֵּן חֲסִידְךָ לִרְאוֹת שָׁחַת
-16.10
for you will not forsake me to the grave
You will not allow one within your refuge to see destruction

7/22/2011 10:18:17 AMone within your refuge, חסיד (xsyd) the singular merciful one of psalm 4.4, 12.2, 18.26, 32.6, 43.1, 86.2
חסיד one who is kind עִם חָסִיד תִּתְחַסָּד
עִם גְּבַר תָּמִים תִּתַּמָּם
-18.26
with one who is kind you show yourself kind
with one who prevails complete you show yourself complete

7/21/2011 4:44:34 PMkind, חסיד, the singular merciful one
חסיד one under mercy עַל זֹאת
יִתְפַּלֵּל כָּל חָסִיד אֵלֶיךָ
לְעֵת מְצֹא
רַק לְשֵׁטֶף מַיִם רַבִּים
אֵלָיו לֹא יַגִּיעוּ
-32.6
for this
every one under mercy will pray to you
in a time to be found
certainly in the downpour of many waters
they will not touch him

7/22/2011 8:51:04 AMone under mercy, חסיד, singular, see 16.10
חסיד one who is merciful שָׁפְטֵנִי אֱלֹהִים
וְרִיבָה רִיבִי
מִגּוֹי לֹא חָסִיד
מֵאִישׁ מִרְמָה וְעַוְלָה תְפַלְּטֵנִי
-43.1
Judge me O God
and strive my strife
with a nation without one who is merciful
from a deceitful and unjust person secure me

7/21/2011 4:48:35 PMone who is merciful, חסיד, singular, not necessarily a generic characteristic
חסיד under your protection שָׁמְרָה נַפְשִׁי
כִּי חָסִיד אָנִי
הוֹשַׁע עַבְדְּךָ
אַתָּה אֱלֹהַי
הַבּוֹטֵחַ אֵלֶיךָ
-86.2
Guard my life
for under your protection am I
save your servant
you, my God
the one trusting in you

7/21/2011 4:50:13 PMunder your protection, חסיד, the singular one under the חסד, that covenant mercy and loving kindness of יְהוָה


No comments:

Post a Comment