Sunday 7 August 2011

Summer reading

Suzanne's mention of Night Train to Lisbon got me started reading - and the train journeys have let me continue. Here are some great stories: I already mentioned the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - a true story. Now also I have read Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda and A Most Wanted Man by John Le Carré. Both very fine stories for different reasons. Gowda for her cultural story of America and India though her English is weak in my opinion, Le Carré for his massively intriguing story line with depth of moral and philosophical characterization summarizing post cold war and post 9/11 espionage - our recent history.  One might be tempted to ask in Dickensian Copperfield fashion - where is love?

I did read a few chapters of Night Train too - but had to leave it in Hudson. We had been at a library book sale - trade paperbacks at 50 cents each.

No comments:

Post a Comment