Wednesday 28 September 2011

One-trick pony

I am sure you all know that over the past 5 years, I have concentrated as a one-trick pony learning and perseverating on the psalms. Before that I had done quite a bit of work on Paul and the Gospels. The other day our Bible Study read the opening of Chronicles and then the epistle to Titus - O those Cretans! and genealogies (Titus 3:9)! Disputes etc.  The author of Titus does not read to me like Paul - not in any translation I have.

This morning I saw a new book on science and religion.  The author is a retired cosmologist and an Anglican. It's hard to produce a book, I know. But can one say something that will be helpful? I don't know. I haven't read this yet. It seems to me to be an important subject that shouldn't get in the way. Another dispute that distracts. I don't think my God is a God of the gaps.  I can't be objective. That requires me to be Escher-like and play the inside and outside in the same image. And it's still an image.  When we've learned time travel, and know as we are known, and are as grave as gravity, maybe we'll be like the self-emptying God we have glimpsed in the death of Jesus (Philippians 2:7) and known through the Spirit (Romans 8:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment