Tuesday 2 October 2012

Psalm 6 - psalmody and Deuteronomy - prosody

Preliminary tests are done and there is a curious result. Deuteronomy 8 made it through Bible Study - but the hearers far preferred the sung Hebrew even though they could not understand it.  This tells me that the English does not flow with the music - that is curious - I am not sure I want to venture an explanation at this time.  But I will - 6 seconds later - perhaps it is the effect of music alone, where in English the hearers are still processing the intellectual content.

Deuteronomy uses the full 8 note scale. The Psalms use a seven note scale - see this post for modes as described by Suzanne Haik-Vantoura.

I have tossed off Psalm 6 - and now I am going to roam for a while - maybe some Proverbs...

But also keeping up the oxygen, golf and tennis...

No comments:

Post a Comment