Saturday 9 February 2013

3X-part 3b The sign of Immanuel

In this series, I am looking at Brevard Childs' The Struggle to understand ISAIAH as Christian Scripture.
In the previous post I thought I would look in more detail at the whole series of Then was fulfilled citations in Matthew. Here's the first. The others will have to wait, because I now realize this would lead me away from the direction I think I want to follow. And it is too difficult for the moment - digging deeper than the roots in the text will allow me given my current tool-set.

לָ֠כֵן יִתֵּ֨ן אֲדֹנָ֥י ה֛וּא לָכֶ֖ם אֹ֑ות
Therefore the Lord himself will give you (pl.) a sign
Hebrew
Is.
Greek LXX
Mt.
NT
הִנֵּ֣ה הָֽעַלְמָ֗ה הָרָה֙
וְיֹלֶ֣דֶת בֵּ֔ן
וְקָרָ֥את שְׁמֹ֖ו עִמָּ֥נוּ֩ אֵֽל
7:14b
ἰδοὺ ἡ παρθένος ἐν γαστρὶ ἕξει
καὶ τέξεται υἱόν
καὶ καλέσεις τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Εμμανουηλ
1:23
Ἰδοὺ ἡ παρθένος ἐν γαστρὶ ἕξει,
καὶ τέξεται υἱὸν,
καὶ καλέσουσιν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἐμμανουὴλ,
ὅ ἐστιν μεθερμηνευόμενον, μεθ᾽ ἡμῶν ὁ Θεός

The above is the text of the sign of Emmanuel. Matthew adds an explanation of the name, otherwise the text is pretty much identical to the LXX.

The music of the Hebrew follows. There is an interesting pair of triplet ornaments around the text. I am unsure what the mode should be. I tried some variations and decided to leave it in the default chromatic hypodorian. (I will spare you the singing).

Childs rather cryptically comments:
The Septuagint's translation of almah with parthenos (virgin) shifts the focus ... Not only does the interpretation of Immanuel's role in Isaiah 8 point to a continuing eschatological role of Immanuel; the linking of Micah 5:2-3 [=Matthew 2:6] and 2 Samuel 7:12-16 [Isaiah 9:6] also points to the expectation of a future David. Thus the "prince of peace" forms a messianic texture joining Isaiah 9:6 and the shoot of Isaiah 11.
He then appeals to Pesch (He will be called a Nazorean) who writes of "the unusual history of the nation of God".

I think I might see my history as an ontogeny recapitulating this phylogeny as one way of understanding what the TNK can do for me, but for now, on to Mark ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment