Monday 15 December 2014

Structural niceties in the Psalter.

Just a quick note that there is another unique relationship between Psalms 8 and 144. Each of these precedes an acrostic - this highlights their position in the Psalter as I have noted before.

I somewhere pointed out (probably it is in my book) that Psalm 144 mimics but does not quote Psalm 8. Also they are the only two psalms to mention fingers. A third rare form joins them: the Hebrew for thy heavens.  I have found this form שמיך (shameika) only in these two psalms and Deuteronomy 28:23.

Do you see other places that I missed? Are these connections in the Psalter helpful in recognizing that the Psalms are not a random collection, but a real story in poetry.



The image shows the significance of the acrostic poems in the overall form of the Psalter.


No comments:

Post a Comment