Thursday 8 January 2015

Alternatives to Suzanne Haik-Vantoura

Don't get me wrong. I am so glad to have seen what SHV has done and to have sung her work as a reader and as a listener to a choir who sang my transcription of Psalm 32. I am also glad that I can reproduce her work with a few minutes of data preparation rather than a week of manual writing.  But there are other methods, and I cannot take her word against them for granted.

So I am beginning a 960 page volume on the Art of Cantillation by Joshua Jacobson. It looks as if his rules will be sufficiently clear to program them. He make claims that if true in the data will prove one or the other set of rules clear or not. He does use 'maybe' frequently. It will be interesting if SHV's rules suggest a simpler explanation for what he is saying. I will report in due course. (first report is in the next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment