Monday 25 April 2016

Jeremiah 1

I found a bit of Jeremiah 20 that I must have done before the current database. Lost it was. In looking at it and given my unfamiliarity with Jeremiah, I thought I had better start from chapter 1. So here it is.

Now is Jeremiah for or against? The preposition is clearly 'against' (על) the nations, but for Jerusalem and Judah and the people of the land (=earth - no distinction), the preposition is the enclitic ל. I rarely have made that 'against' (7 times so far in several hundred uses). Some verbs in English would imply a preposition stronger than of, for, or to... In this case perhaps the possessive use of the preposition is implied, so the force of the first preposition continues across the mid-point rest in the verse. And is this the whole earth and / or the land? I don't know. But I had to put something down. The sense of one of these words is required, but at this stage of the book, one cannot say which one.

Every king was once a child...

Jeremiah 1 Fn Min Max Syll
דִּבְרֵ֥י יִרְמְיָ֖הוּ בֶּן־חִלְקִיָּ֑הוּ
מִן־הַכֹּֽהֲנִים֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר בַּעֲנָת֔וֹת בְּאֶ֖רֶץ בִּנְיָמִֽן
1 The words of Jeremiah child of Hilqiah,
from the priests that were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin.
3e 4B 11
17
אֲשֶׁ֨ר הָיָ֤ה דְבַר־יְהוָה֙ אֵלָ֔יו בִּימֵ֛י יֹאשִׁיָּ֥הוּ בֶן־אָמ֖וֹן מֶ֣לֶךְ יְהוּדָ֑ה
בִּשְׁלֹשׁ־עֶשְׂרֵ֥ה שָׁנָ֖ה לְמָלְכֽוֹ
2 To whom happened the word of Yahweh in the days of Josiah, Amon's child, king of Judah,
in the thirteenth year of his reign.
3d 4C 24
9
וַיְהִ֗י בִּימֵ֨י יְהוֹיָקִ֤ים בֶּן־יֹאשִׁיָּ֙הוּ֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ יְהוּדָ֔ה עַד־תֹּם֙ עַשְׁתֵּ֣י עֶשְׂרֵ֣ה שָׁנָ֔ה לְצִדְקִיָּ֥הוּ בֶן־יֹאשִׁיָּ֖הוּ מֶ֣לֶךְ יְהוּדָ֑ה
עַד־גְּל֥וֹת יְרוּשָׁלִַ֖ם בַּחֹ֥דֶשׁ הַחֲמִישִֽׁי
3 It was in the days of Jehoiachim, child of Josiah, king of Judah to the completion of the eleventh year of Zedekiah, child of Josiah, king of Judah,
until the exile of Jerusalem, in the fifth new moon.
3e 4C 41
14
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 4 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
בְּטֶ֨רֶם אֶצָּרְךָ֤ בַבֶּ֙טֶן֙ יְדַעְתִּ֔יךָ וּבְטֶ֛רֶם תֵּצֵ֥א מֵרֶ֖חֶם הִקְדַּשְׁתִּ֑יךָ
נָבִ֥יא לַגּוֹיִ֖ם נְתַתִּֽיךָ
5 Before I fashioned you in the belly I knew you and before you came forth from the womb, I sanctified you.
A prophet for the nations, I made you.
3d 4C 25
9
וָאֹמַ֗ר אֲהָהּ֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהֹוִ֔ה הִנֵּ֥ה לֹא־יָדַ֖עְתִּי דַּבֵּ֑ר
כִּי־נַ֖עַר אָנֹֽכִי
6 And I said, Aye yai yai, my Lord Yahweh, behold I know nothing,
for a youth am I.
3e 4B 18
5
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר יְהוָה֙ אֵלַ֔י אַל־תֹּאמַ֖ר נַ֣עַר אָנֹ֑כִי
כִּ֠י עַֽל־כָּל־אֲשֶׁ֤ר אֶֽשְׁלָחֲךָ֙ תֵּלֵ֔ךְ וְאֵ֛ת כָּל־אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֲצַוְּךָ֖ תְּדַבֵּֽר
7 And Yahweh said to me, Do not say, A youth am I,
for to all that I send you, you will go, and all that I command you, you will speak.
3d 4C 15
22
אַל־תִּירָ֖א מִפְּנֵיהֶ֑ם
כִּֽי־אִתְּךָ֥ אֲנִ֛י לְהַצִּלֶ֖ךָ נְאֻם־יְהוָֽה
8 Do not fear before their faces,
for with you am I to deliver you, an oracle of Yahweh.
3d 4A 6
14
וַיִּשְׁלַ֤ח יְהוָה֙ אֶת־יָד֔וֹ וַיַּגַּ֖ע עַל־פִּ֑י
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר יְהוָה֙ אֵלַ֔י הִנֵּ֛ה נָתַ֥תִּי דְבָרַ֖י בְּפִֽיךָ
9 And Yahweh extended his hand, and he touched my mouth.
And Yahweh said to me, Behold, I have given my words in your mouth.
3d 4C 13
18
רְאֵ֞ה הִפְקַדְתִּ֣יךָ ׀ הַיּ֣וֹם הַזֶּ֗ה עַל־הַגּוֹיִם֙ וְעַל־הַמַּמְלָכ֔וֹת לִנְת֥וֹשׁ וְלִנְת֖וֹץ וּלְהַאֲבִ֣יד וְלַהֲר֑וֹס
לִבְנ֖וֹת וְלִנְטֽוֹעַ
10 See I have conscripted you day this concerning the nations and concerning the kingdoms to blot out and to break off and to eliminate and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.
3e 4B 33
6
וַיְהִ֤י דְבַר־יְהוָה֙ אֵלַ֣י לֵאמֹ֔ר מָה־אַתָּ֥ה רֹאֶ֖ה יִרְמְיָ֑הוּ
וָאֹמַ֕ר מַקֵּ֥ל שָׁקֵ֖ד אֲנִ֥י רֹאֶֽה
11 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, What are you seeing, Jeremiah?
And I said, A stick from a vigilant almond tree. I am seeing.
3e 4C 19
11
וַיֹּ֧אמֶר יְהוָ֛ה אֵלַ֖י הֵיטַ֣בְתָּ לִרְא֑וֹת
כִּֽי־שֹׁקֵ֥ד אֲנִ֛י עַל־דְּבָרִ֖י לַעֲשֹׂתֽוֹ
12 And Yahweh said to me, You have done well to see,
for I will be vigilant over my word to do it.
3c 4B 12
12
וַיְהִ֨י דְבַר־יְהוָ֤ה ׀ אֵלַי֙ שֵׁנִ֣ית לֵאמֹ֔ר מָ֥ה אַתָּ֖ה רֹאֶ֑ה
וָאֹמַ֗ר סִ֤יר נָפ֙וּחַ֙ אֲנִ֣י רֹאֶ֔ה וּפָנָ֖יו מִפְּנֵ֥י צָפֽוֹנָה
13 And the word of Yahweh happened to me a second time, saying, What you are seeing?
And I said, A pot stoked I am seeing, and its face facing towards the north.
3e 4C 17
19
וַיֹּ֥אמֶר יְהוָ֖ה אֵלָ֑י
מִצָּפוֹן֙ תִּפָּתַ֣ח הָרָעָ֔ה עַ֥ל כָּל־יֹשְׁבֵ֖י הָאָֽרֶץ
14 And Yahweh said to me,
From the north the evil will be unsheathed over all those settled in the earth.
3e 4B 7
16
כִּ֣י ׀ הִנְנִ֣י קֹרֵ֗א לְכָֽל־מִשְׁפְּח֛וֹת מַמְלְכ֥וֹת צָפ֖וֹנָה נְאֻם־יְהוָ֑ה
וּבָ֡אוּ וְֽנָתְנוּ֩ אִ֨ישׁ כִּסְא֜וֹ פֶּ֣תַח ׀ שַׁעֲרֵ֣י יְרוּשָׁלִַ֗ם וְעַ֤ל כָּל־חוֹמֹתֶ֙יהָ֙ סָבִ֔יב וְעַ֖ל כָּל־עָרֵ֥י יְהוּדָֽה
15 B For note me well, I am calling to all the families from the kingdoms of the north, an oracle of Yahweh,
and they will come and they will assign each their throne at the door of the gates of Jerusalem, and over all her surrounding ramparts and over all the cities of Judah.
3d 4C 20
35
וְדִבַּרְתִּ֤י מִשְׁפָּטַי֙ אוֹתָ֔ם עַ֖ל כָּל־רָעָתָ֑ם
אֲשֶׁ֣ר עֲזָב֗וּנִי וַֽיְקַטְּרוּ֙ לֵאלֹהִ֣ים אֲחֵרִ֔ים וַיִּֽשְׁתַּחֲו֖וּ לְמַעֲשֵׂ֥י יְדֵיהֶֽם
16 And I will speak my judgment to them over all their evil,
who forsake me and burn incense to other gods and worship the deeds of their hands.
3e 4C 14
27
וְאַתָּה֙ תֶּאְזֹ֣ר מָתְנֶ֔יךָ וְקַמְתָּ֙ וְדִבַּרְתָּ֣ אֲלֵיהֶ֔ם אֵ֛ת כָּל־אֲשֶׁ֥ר אָנֹכִ֖י אֲצַוֶּ֑ךָּ
אַל־תֵּחַת֙ מִפְּנֵיהֶ֔ם פֶּֽן־אֲחִתְּךָ֖ לִפְנֵיהֶֽם
17 But you, you gird up your loins, and arise and speak to them all that I myself command you.
Do not be dismayed from their faces lest I dismay you facing them.
3d 4B 29
13
וַאֲנִ֞י הִנֵּ֧ה נְתַתִּ֣יךָ הַיּ֗וֹם לְעִ֨יר מִבְצָ֜ר וּלְעַמּ֥וּד בַּרְזֶ֛ל וּלְחֹמ֥וֹת נְחֹ֖שֶׁת עַל־כָּל־הָאָ֑רֶץ
לְמַלְכֵ֤י יְהוּדָה֙ לְשָׂרֶ֔יהָ לְכֹהֲנֶ֖יהָ וּלְעַ֥ם הָאָֽרֶץ
18 And I, behold, I have made you today, an enclosed city and a pillar of iron and walls of brass against all the earth,
of the kings of Judah, of her chiefs, of her priests, and of the people of the land.
3c 4C 31
20
וְנִלְחֲמ֥וּ אֵלֶ֖יךָ וְלֹא־י֣וּכְלוּ לָ֑ךְ
כִּֽי־אִתְּךָ֥ אֲנִ֛י נְאֻם־יְהוָ֖ה לְהַצִּילֶֽךָ
19 And they will fight against you and will not overpower you,
for I am with you, an oracle of Yahweh, to deliver you.
3d 4B 12
14


No comments:

Post a Comment