Tuesday 12 April 2016

Job 17

If half the speech is done, the other half had better follow. (I know people move things around among the speeches of Job, but I don't.) There are verses that are short sharp triple sentences. It seems they should be split, but my program only splits for the emperors, atnah and ole-veyored (in this book).

What is the music like? For verse 1 it is e B g f# rev,f# e, a pattern that occurs 10 times (this one in Job, and the others are Psalms 59:7,15, 99:3, 119:33,64,112,145, 120:3, 126:3). It is a gentle declining phrase after its initial jump up of a fifth.

Don't forget that the accents may be used to determine the notes. There's a brief here on the rules I use. Anyone can learn to sing this music with these tonally memorable instructions. If I had sung all those verses I might well have remembered them, but instead I queried my database to find out the ones that have that tonal sequence. No one to my knowledge has done the equivalent with the traditional accent names or cantillation.

Job 17 Fn Min Max Syll
רוּחִ֣י חֻ֭בָּלָה יָמַ֥י נִזְעָ֗כוּ קְבָרִ֥ים לִֽי 1 My spirit is pledged. My days are extinct. It's the tombs for me. 3e 4B 14
אִם־לֹ֣א הֲ֭תֻלִים עִמָּדִ֑י
וּ֝בְהַמְּרוֹתָ֗ם תָּלַ֥ן עֵינִֽי
2 Are there not jesters against me?
And in their provocation does my eye stop over?
3e 4B 8
8
שִֽׂימָה־נָּ֭א עָרְבֵ֣נִי עִמָּ֑ךְ
מִֽי ה֝֗וּא לְיָדִ֥י יִתָּקֵֽעַ
3 You lay up if you will. My insurance is with you.
Who is he will sound a clap on my hand?
3e 4B 8
9
כִּֽי־לִ֭בָּם צָפַ֣נְתָּ מִּשָּׂ֑כֶל‬
עַל־כֵּ֝֗ן לֹ֣א תְרֹמֵֽם
4 (For their heart you have treasured from insight,
therefore you will not celebrate them.)
3e 4B 8
6
לְ֭חֵלֶק יַגִּ֣יד רֵעִ֑ים
וְעֵינֵ֖י בָנָ֣יו תִּכְלֶֽנָה
5 g Flattery he tells to friends,
but the eyes of his children are consumed.
3e 4B 7
8
וְֽ֭הִצִּגַנִי לִמְשֹׁ֣ל עַמִּ֑ים
וְתֹ֖פֶת לְפָנִ֣ים אֶֽהְיֶֽה
6 He has exhibited me as a parable of the peoples,
and a tambourine in the presence I have become.
3e 4B 9
8
וַתֵּ֣כַהּ מִכַּ֣עַשׂ עֵינִ֑י
וִֽיצֻרַ֖י כַּצֵּ֣ל כֻּלָּֽם
7 Weak from grief is my eye,
and my features like a shadow, all of them.
3e 4B 8
7
יָשֹׁ֣מּוּ יְשָׁרִ֣ים עַל־זֹ֑את
וְ֝נָקִ֗י עַל־חָנֵ֥ף יִתְעֹרָֽר
8 The upright will be desolate over this,
and an innocent will be roused over a hypocrite.
3e 4B 8
9
וְיֹאחֵ֣ז צַדִּ֣יק דַּרְכּ֑וֹ
וּֽטֳהָר־יָ֝דַ֗יִם יֹסִ֥יף אֹֽמֶץ
9 A righteous one will hold fast his way,
and the clean of hands will add assurance.
3e 4B 7
9
וְֽאוּלָ֗ם כֻּלָּ֣ם תָּ֭שֻׁבוּ וּבֹ֣אוּ נָ֑א
וְלֹֽא־אֶמְצָ֖א בָכֶ֣ם חָכָֽם
10 Nevertheless all of you will return, so come if you will,
and I will not find among you one who is shrewd.
3e 4B 11
8
יָמַ֣י עָ֭בְרוּ זִמֹּתַ֣י נִתְּק֑וּ
מ֖וֹרָשֵׁ֣י לְבָבִֽי
11 My days pass onward. My schemes are snapped,
the possession of my heart.
3e 4B 9
6
לַ֭יְלָה לְי֣וֹם יָשִׂ֑ימוּ
א֝֗וֹר קָר֥וֹב מִפְּנֵי־חֹֽשֶׁךְ
12 g Night for day they have set up.
Light is near in the face of darkness.
3e 4B 7
6
אִם־אֲ֭קַוֶּה שְׁא֣וֹל בֵּיתִ֑י
בַּ֝חֹ֗שֶׁךְ רִפַּ֥דְתִּי יְצוּעָֽי
13 If I wait, Sheol is my house.
In the darkness I spread out my bed.
3e 4B 8
9
לַשַּׁ֣חַת קָ֭רָאתִי אָ֣בִי אָ֑תָּה
אִמִּ֥י וַ֝אֲחֹתִ֗י לָֽרִמָּֽה
14 To destruction I called, My father are you,
my mother and my sister, to the maggot.
3e 4B 10
9
וְ֭אַיֵּה אֵפ֣וֹ תִקְוָתִ֑י
וְ֝תִקְוָתִ֗י מִ֣י יְשׁוּרֶֽנָּה
15 g And where indeed is my expectation?
And my expectation, who will scrutinize it?
3e 4B 8
9
בַּדֵּ֣י שְׁאֹ֣ל תֵּרַ֑דְנָה
אִם־יַ֖חַד עַל־עָפָ֣ר נָֽחַת
16 In solitude Sheol they descend,
even as one to dust pinned.
3e 4B 7
8


No comments:

Post a Comment