Thursday 28 April 2016

Job 19

So much today I am back to the beginning of the first attempts I made at Job 6 years ago. And my concordance helpers were really useful to me today, suggesting a reading that concurs with many. What do you think?
Job 19 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיַּ֥עַן אִיּ֗וֹב וַיֹּאמַֽר 1 And Job answered and said, 3e 3f 8
עַד־אָ֭נָה תּוֹגְי֣וּן נַפְשִׁ֑י
וּֽתְדַכְּאוּנַ֥נִי בְמִלִּֽים
2 How long please will you sadden my being,
and crush me with speeches?
3e 4B 7
8
זֶ֤ה עֶ֣שֶׂר פְּ֭עָמִים תַּכְלִימ֑וּנִי
לֹֽא־תֵ֝בֹ֗שׁוּ תַּהְכְּרוּ־לִֽי
3 C These ten times you humiliate me.
Are you not ashamed to insult me?
3e 4C 10
7
וְאַף־אָמְנָ֥ם שָׁגִ֑יתִי
אִ֝תִּ֗י תָּלִ֥ין מְשׁוּגָתִֽי
4 And if indeed truly I have strayed,
with me lodges my straying.
3e 4A 7
8
אִם־אָ֭מְנָם עָלַ֣י תַּגְדִּ֑ילוּ
וְתוֹכִ֥יחוּ עָ֝לַ֗י חֶרְפָּתִּֽי
5 If truly against me you tower,
and referee against me my reproach,
3e 4B 8
9
דְּֽעוּ־אֵ֭פוֹ כִּי־אֱל֣וֹהַּ עִוְּתָ֑נִי
וּ֝מְצוּד֗וֹ עָלַ֥י הִקִּֽיף
6 Know here that God subverts me,
and from his fortress is striking off against me
3e 4B 9
7
הֵ֤ן אֶצְעַ֣ק חָ֭מָס וְלֹ֣א אֵעָנֶ֑ה
אֲ֝שַׁוַּ֗ע וְאֵ֣ין מִשְׁפָּֽט
7 C Lo! I cry out, Violence! and I am not answered.
I cry for help and there is no judgment.
3e 4C 10
7
אָרְחִ֣י גָ֭דַר וְלֹ֣א אֶעֱב֑וֹר
וְעַ֥ל נְ֝תִיבוֹתַ֗י חֹ֣שֶׁךְ יָשִֽׂים
8 My path he has fenced and I pass not through,
and in my tracks he sets darkness.
3e 4B 9
10
כְּ֭בוֹדִי מֵעָלַ֣י הִפְשִׁ֑יט
וַ֝יָּ֗סַר עֲטֶ֣רֶת רֹאשִֽׁי
9 g My glory from me he has pillaged,
and he turns aside the crown my head.
3e 4B 8
8
יִתְּצֵ֣נִי סָ֭בִיב וָאֵלַ֑ךְ
וַיַּסַּ֥ע כָּ֝עֵ֗ץ תִּקְוָתִֽי
10 He breaks me off on every side and I am gone,
and he pulls out like a tree my expectation.
3e 4B 8
8
וַיַּ֣חַר עָלַ֣י אַפּ֑וֹ
וַיַּחְשְׁבֵ֖נִי ל֣וֹ כְצָרָֽיו
11 And he burns against me his anger,
and reckons me as his foe.
3e 4B 7
9
יַ֤חַד ׀ יָ֘בֹ֤אוּ גְדוּדָ֗יו וַיָּסֹ֣לּוּ עָלַ֣י דַּרְכָּ֑ם
וַיַּחֲנ֖וּ סָבִ֣יב לְאָהֳלִֽי
12 C Together come his collaborators and they extol against me their way,
and camp on every side of my tent.
3e 4C 15
10
אַ֭חַי מֵעָלַ֣י הִרְחִ֑יק
וְ֝יֹדְעַ֗י אַךְ־זָ֥רוּ מִמֶּֽנִּי
13 g My kin from me are distant,
and my acquaintances surely are estranged from me.
3e 4B 7
9
חָדְל֥וּ קְרוֹבָ֑י
וּֽמְיֻדָּעַ֥י שְׁכֵחֽוּנִי
14 Set aside are those near me,
and those who are known by me have forgotten me.
3e 4A 5
8
גָּ֘רֵ֤י בֵיתִ֣י וְ֭אַמְהֹתַי לְזָ֣ר תַּחְשְׁבֻ֑נִי
נָ֝כְרִ֗י הָיִ֥יתִי בְעֵינֵיהֶֽם
15 ~ Guests in my house and my maidservants reckon me as a stranger.
Alien I have become in their eyes.
3e 4C 14
9
לְעַבְדִּ֣י קָ֭רָאתִי וְלֹ֣א יַעֲנֶ֑ה
בְּמוֹ־פִ֝֗י אֶתְחַנֶּן־לֽוֹ
16 To my servant I call and he does not answer,
with my mouth I make supplication to him.
3e 4B 11
7
ר֭וּחִֽי זָ֣רָה לְאִשְׁתִּ֑י
וְ֝חַנֹּתִ֗י לִבְנֵ֥י בִטְנִֽי
17 g My spirit is strange to my wife,
and I supplicate the children of my belly.
3e 4B 7
8
גַּם־עֲ֭וִילִים מָ֣אֲסוּ בִ֑י
אָ֝ק֗וּמָה וַיְדַבְּרוּ־בִֽי
18 Even babies refuse me.
I arise and they speak against me.
3e 4B 8
7
תִּֽ֭עֲבוּנִי כָּל־מְתֵ֣י סוֹדִ֑י
וְזֶֽה־אָ֝הַ֗בְתִּי נֶהְפְּכוּ־בִֽי
19 All my intimates abhor me,
and this I loved. They have turned against me.
3e 4B 9
9
בְּעוֹרִ֣י וּ֭בִבְשָׂרִי דָּבְקָ֣ה עַצְמִ֑י
וָ֝אֶתְמַלְּטָ֗ה בְּע֣וֹר שִׁנָּֽי
20 To my skin and to my flesh my bones cling,
and I escape in the skin of my teeth.
3e 4B 11
8
חָנֻּ֬נִי חָנֻּ֣נִי אַתֶּ֣ם רֵעָ֑י
כִּ֥י יַד־אֱ֝ל֗וֹהַּ נָ֣גְעָה בִּֽי
21 Be gracious, be gracious, you my friends,
for the hand of God has touched me.
3e 4B 10
8
לָ֭מָּה תִּרְדְּפֻ֣נִי כְמוֹ־אֵ֑ל
וּ֝מִבְּשָׂרִ֗י לֹ֣א תִשְׂבָּֽעוּ
22 g Why do you pursue me as if the One,
and with my flesh you are not satisfied?
3e 4B 9
8
מִֽי־יִתֵּ֣ן אֵ֭פוֹ וְיִכָּתְב֣וּן מִלָּ֑י
מִֽי־יִתֵּ֖ן בַּסֵּ֣פֶר וְיֻחָֽקוּ
23 Who will give here, so my speeches may be written?
Who will give so that in a book they be decreed?
3e 4B 10
9
בְּעֵט־בַּרְזֶ֥ל וְעֹפָ֑רֶת
לָ֝עַ֗ד בַּצּ֥וּר יֵחָצְבֽוּן
24 With an iron stylus and lead,
for ever on a rock hewn.
3e 4A 8
7
וַאֲנִ֣י יָ֭דַעְתִּי גֹּ֣אֲלִי חָ֑י
וְ֝אַחֲר֗וֹן עַל־עָפָ֥ר יָקֽוּם
25 And I, I know my redeemer is living,
and after, over dust he will arise.
3e 4B 9
9
וְאַחַ֣ר ע֭וֹרִֽי נִקְּפוּ־זֹ֑את
וּ֝מִבְּשָׂרִ֗י אֶֽחֱזֶ֥ה אֱלֽוֹהַּ
26 And after, this my naked skin encompassed,
so from my flesh, on God I will gaze.
3e 4B 8
10
אֲשֶׁ֤ר אֲנִ֨י ׀ אֶֽחֱזֶה־לִּ֗י וְעֵינַ֣י רָא֣וּ וְלֹא־זָ֑ר
כָּל֖וּ כִלְיֹתַ֣י בְּחֵקִֽי
27 That I, I will gaze on, for me, and my eyes will see and not a stranger,
consumed, my own consummation in my embrace.
3e 4C 16
8
כִּ֣י תֹ֭אמְרוּ‬ מַה־נִּרְדָּף־ל֑וֹ
וְשֹׁ֥רֶשׁ דָּ֝בָ֗ר נִמְצָא־בִֽי
28 B For you should say, Why do we persecute him?
For the root of the matter is found in me.
3e 4B 7
8
גּ֤וּרוּ לָכֶ֨ם ׀ מִפְּנֵי־חֶ֗רֶב כִּֽי־חֵ֭מָה עֲוֺנ֣וֹת חָ֑רֶב
לְמַ֖עַן תֵּדְע֣וּן שַׁדּֽוּן ס
29 C Stand in awe for yourselves, in the face of a sword. For conceived are the iniquities of the sword,
so you know there is a sentence.
3e 4C 14
8

There are overlapping recurring circles from 6 to 16 and from 13 to the end. (I omitted 23-26). The key words are ידע, פה, לא, ענה, סבב, חשׁב, זור, גור, עין, חנן, ב, דבר, עור, בשׂר, רדף, כלה, חרב. The images are too big to display, but you can trace the recurrence with these hints or without them.
Here's the music for the central section 23-26. I have not noted before the immediate return to the tonic after a rest, but it is not uncommon. Verse 23 is rare also in that the very common second half ornament is not present in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment