Friday 6 May 2016

Amos 9

When one goes down one path it is inevitably different from someone else going down another path. There is no sifting here but fugitives, refugees in modern terms. [I have changed this decision and used a synonym more in common with the other uses of נוע, filter]

And re the creation giving birth (see verse 9 below). This idea of creation giving birth is an image in the Psalms, and also in the NT (Romans 8 - and where did Paul get such a notion? From the OT of course.) This post completes the 300th chapter that I have read in Hebrew and wrestled into English.

Amos 9 Fn Min Max Syll
רָאִ֨יתִי אֶת אֲדֹנָ֜י נִצָּ֣ב עַֽל הַמִּזְבֵּ֗חַ וַיֹּאמֶר֩ הַ֨ךְ הַכַּפְתּ֜וֹר וְיִרְעֲשׁ֣וּ הַסִּפִּ֗ים וּבְצַ֙עַם֙ בְּרֹ֣אשׁ כֻּלָּ֔ם וְאַחֲרִיתָ֖ם בַּחֶ֣רֶב אֶהֱרֹ֑ג
לֹֽא יָנ֤וּס לָהֶם֙ נָ֔ס וְלֹֽא יִמָּלֵ֥ט לָהֶ֖ם פָּלִֽיט
1 I have seen my Lord taking a stand over the altar and he said, Strike the capital and the doorway will quake, and find a mark on the head of every one of them, and the stragglers by the sword I will slay.
Haven will not be haven for them and security will not be escape for them.
3e 4C 46
15
אִם יַחְתְּר֣וּ בִשְׁא֔וֹל מִשָּׁ֖ם יָדִ֣י תִקָּחֵ֑ם
וְאִֽם יַעֲלוּ֙ הַשָּׁמַ֔יִם מִשָּׁ֖ם אוֹרִידֵֽם
2 B If they dig hard into Sheol, from there my hand will take them,
or if they ascend to the heavens, from there I will bring them down.
3e 4B 13
13
וְאִם יֵחָֽבְאוּ֙ בְּרֹ֣אשׁ הַכַּרְמֶ֔ל מִשָּׁ֥ם אֲחַפֵּ֖שׂ וּלְקַחְתִּ֑ים
וְאִם יִסָּ֨תְר֜וּ מִנֶּ֤גֶד עֵינַי֙ בְּקַרְקַ֣ע הַיָּ֔ם מִשָּׁ֛ם אֲצַוֶּ֥ה אֶת הַנָּחָ֖שׁ וּנְשָׁכָֽם
3 And if they camouflage themselves on the top of Carmel, from there I will plan and lay hold of them.
And if they are hidden from before my eyes at the floor of the sea, from there I will command the serpent and he will bite them.
3d 4C 18
27
וְאִם יֵלְכ֤וּ בַשְּׁבִי֙ לִפְנֵ֣י אֹֽיבֵיהֶ֔ם מִשָּׁ֛ם אֲצַוֶּ֥ה אֶת הַחֶ֖רֶב וַהֲרָגָ֑תַם
וְשַׂמְתִּ֨י עֵינִ֧י עֲלֵיהֶ֛ם לְרָעָ֖ה וְלֹ֥א לְטוֹבָֽה
4 And if they will go into captivity before their enemies, from there I will command the sword and it will slay them,
and I will set my eyes on them for evil and not for good.
3c 4C 26
16
וַאדֹנָ֨י יְהוִ֜ה הַצְּבָא֗וֹת הַנּוֹגֵ֤עַ בָּאָ֙רֶץ֙ וַתָּמ֔וֹג וְאָבְל֖וּ כָּל י֣וֹשְׁבֵי בָ֑הּ
וְעָלְתָ֤ה כַיְאֹר֙ כֻּלָּ֔הּ וְשָׁקְעָ֖ה כִּיאֹ֥ר מִצְרָֽיִם‫
5 And my Lord Yahweh of hosts is the one who touches the land and it softens so all her inhabitants will lament,
and it will come up as the Nile, all of it, and abate as the Nile of Egypt.
3e 4C 25
15
הַבּוֹנֶ֤ה בַשָּׁמַ֙יִם֙ מַעֲלוֹתָ֔יו וַאֲגֻדָּת֖וֹ עַל אֶ֣רֶץ יְסָדָ֑הּ
הַקֹּרֵ֣א לְמֵֽי הַיָּ֗ם וַֽיִּשְׁפְּכֵ֛ם עַל פְּנֵ֥י הָאָ֖רֶץ יְהוָ֥ה שְׁמֽוֹ
6 The one building his ascents in the heavens and founding his architecture over the land,
the one calling to the waters of the sea and pouring them out upon the face of the earth, Yahweh is his name.
3d 4C 21
21
הֲל֣וֹא כִבְנֵי֩ כֻשִׁיִּ֨ים אַתֶּ֥ם לִ֛י בְּנֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל נְאֻם יְהוָ֑ה
הֲל֣וֹא אֶת יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל הֶעֱלֵ֙יתִי֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם וּפְלִשְׁתִּיִּ֥ים מִכַּפְתּ֖וֹר וַאֲרָ֥ם מִקִּֽיר
7 B Are you not as the children of Cush to me, O children of Israel, an oracle of Yahweh?
Have I not brought up Israel from the land of Egypt and the Philistines from Caphtor and Aram from Qyr?
3d 4B 19
27
הִנֵּ֞ה עֵינֵ֣י אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה בַּמַּמְלָכָה֙ הַֽחַטָּאָ֔ה וְהִשְׁמַדְתִּ֣י אֹתָ֔הּ מֵעַ֖ל פְּנֵ֣י הָאֲדָמָ֑ה
אֶ֗פֶס כִּ֠י לֹ֣א הַשְׁמֵ֥יד אַשְׁמִ֛יד אֶת בֵּ֥ית יַעֲקֹ֖ב נְאֻם יְהוָֽה
8 Behold the eyes of my Lord Yahweh are on the kingdom of sin and I will exterminate you from off the surface of the ground,
but, ... for not to exterminate do I exterminate the house of Jacob, an oracle of Yahweh.
3d 4B 31
17
כִּֽי הִנֵּ֤ה אָֽנֹכִי֙ מְצַוֶּ֔ה וַהֲנִע֥וֹתִי בְכָֽל הַגּוֹיִ֖ם אֶת בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
כַּאֲשֶׁ֤ר יִנּ֙וֹעַ֙ בַּכְּבָרָ֔ה וְלֹֽא יִפּ֥וֹל צְר֖וֹר אָֽרֶץ
9 For behold, I myself have commanded, and I will disarrange among all the nations, the house of Israel,
as many more are disarranged, and the anguish of the earth will not miscarry.
3e 4C 24
17
בַּחֶ֣רֶב יָמ֔וּתוּ כֹּ֖ל חַטָּאֵ֣י עַמִּ֑י
הָאֹמְרִ֗ים לֹֽא תַגִּ֧ישׁ וְתַקְדִּ֛ים בַּעֲדֵ֖ינוּ הָרָעָֽה
10 By the sword will die all the sinners of my people,
you who say, The evil will not come close or confront us.
3c 4B 12
16
בַּיּ֣וֹם הַה֔וּא אָקִ֛ים אֶת סֻכַּ֥ת דָּוִ֖יד הַנֹּפֶ֑לֶת
וְגָדַרְתִּ֣י אֶת פִּרְצֵיהֶ֗ן וַהֲרִֽסֹתָיו֙ אָקִ֔ים וּבְנִיתִ֖יהָ כִּימֵ֥י עוֹלָֽם
11 B In that day I will raise up the booth of David that is fallen,
and I will fence its breaches, and what is overthrown I will raise up, and I will build her as in the days from eras past.
3d 4B 15
23
לְמַ֨עַן יִֽירְשׁ֜וּ אֶת שְׁאֵרִ֤ית אֱדוֹם֙ וְכָל הַגּוֹיִ֔ם אֲשֶׁר נִקְרָ֥א שְׁמִ֖י עֲלֵיהֶ֑ם
נְאֻם יְהוָ֖ה עֹ֥שֶׂה זֹּֽאת
12 In order that they may possess the residue of Edom and all the nations who are called. My name is over them.
An oracle of Yahweh doing this.
3e 4C 25
7
הִנֵּ֨ה יָמִ֤ים בָּאִים֙ נְאֻם יְהוָ֔ה וְנִגַּ֤שׁ חוֹרֵשׁ֙ בַּקֹּצֵ֔ר וְדֹרֵ֥ךְ עֲנָבִ֖ים בְּמֹשֵׁ֣ךְ הַזָּ֑רַע
וְהִטִּ֤יפוּ הֶֽהָרִים֙ עָסִ֔יס וְכָל הַגְּבָע֖וֹת תִּתְמוֹגַֽגְנָה
13 Behold days are coming, an oracle of Yahweh, when plougher will bump into reaper and treader of grapes into one who trails the seed.
The hills will drop new wine from the pressing and all the hillocks will soften.
3e 4C 30
18
וְשַׁבְתִּי֮ אֶת שְׁב֣וּת עַמִּ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וּבָנ֞וּ עָרִ֤ים נְשַׁמּוֹת֙ וְיָשָׁ֔בוּ וְנָטְע֣וּ כְרָמִ֔ים וְשָׁת֖וּ אֶת יֵינָ֑ם
וְעָשׂ֣וּ גַנּ֔וֹת וְאָכְל֖וּ אֶת פְּרִיהֶֽם
14 And I will turn the captivity of my people Israel, and they will build desolated cities and inhabit them, and they will plant vineyards and they will imbibe their wine,
and they will construct gardens and eat their fruit.
3e 4C 35
12
וּנְטַעְתִּ֖ים עַל אַדְמָתָ֑ם
וְלֹ֨א יִנָּתְשׁ֜וּ ע֗וֹד מֵעַ֤ל אַדְמָתָם֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר נָתַ֣תִּי לָהֶ֔ם אָמַ֖ר יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֶֽיךָ
15 And I will plant them on their ground,
and they will not be deported any more away from their ground that I gave for them, says Yahweh your God.
3e 4C 7
26


No comments:

Post a Comment