Monday 5 September 2016

Zechariah 11

This chapter demands much creative thought. The limited concordance I have attempted is particularly important here.

I marvel at what thoughts occur that I would never have noted if I were reading even slowly in English. I know readers who lovingly caress the English prepositions never imagining that they are the least reliable of the glosses in the host language.

I think it best to say no more.

Zechariah 11 Fn Min Max Syll
פְּתַ֥ח לְבָנ֖וֹן דְּלָתֶ֑יךָ
וְתֹאכַ֥ל אֵ֖שׁ בַּאֲרָזֶֽיךָ
1 Open Lebanon your gateways,
and fire will devour your cedars.
3e 4A 9
9
הֵילֵ֤ל בְּרוֹשׁ֙ כִּֽי־נָ֣פַל אֶ֔רֶז אֲשֶׁ֥ר אַדִּרִ֖ים שֻׁדָּ֑דוּ
הֵילִ֙ילוּ֙ אַלּוֹנֵ֣י בָשָׁ֔ן כִּ֥י יָרַ֖ד יַ֥עַר הַבָּצִֽיר
2 Howl, fir tree, for fallen is the cedar that majesties have devastated.
Howl, oaks of Bashan, for descended is the forest of the enclosed.
3e 4C 16
16
ק֚וֹל יִֽלְלַ֣ת הָרֹעִ֔ים כִּ֥י שֻׁדְּדָ֖ה אַדַּרְתָּ֑ם
ק֚וֹל שַׁאֲגַ֣ת כְּפִירִ֔ים כִּ֥י שֻׁדַּ֖ד גְּא֥וֹן הַיַּרְדֵּֽן ס
3 C The voice of the howling of the shepherds, for devastated is their majesty,
the voice of the roar of young lions, for devastated is the pride of the Jordan.
3e 4C 12
16
כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהָ֑י
רְעֵ֖ה אֶת־צֹ֥אן הַהֲרֵגָֽה
4 f Thus says Yahweh God,
Tend the flock of the slain.
3e 4B 8
8
אֲשֶׁ֨ר קֹנֵיהֶ֤ן יַֽהֲרְגֻן֙ וְלֹ֣א יֶאְשָׁ֔מוּ וּמֹכְרֵיהֶ֣ן יֹאמַ֔ר בָּר֥וּךְ יְהוָ֖ה וַאעְשִׁ֑ר
וְרֹ֣עֵיהֶ֔ם לֹ֥א יַחְמ֖וֹל עֲלֵיהֶֽן
5 Those who have acquired them slay them but they will not bear guilt, and those who sell them will say, Bless Yahweh for I am rich,
and their shepherds do not have have pity on them.
3e 4C 26
10
כִּ֠י לֹ֣א אֶחְמ֥וֹל ע֛וֹד עַל־יֹשְׁבֵ֥י הָאָ֖רֶץ נְאֻם־יְהוָ֑ה
וְהִנֵּ֨ה אָנֹכִ֜י מַמְצִ֣יא אֶת־הָאָדָ֗ם אִ֤ישׁ בְּיַד־רֵעֵ֙הוּ֙ וּבְיַ֣ד מַלְכּ֔וֹ וְכִתְּתוּ֙ אֶת־הָאָ֔רֶץ וְלֹ֥א אַצִּ֖יל מִיָּדָֽם
6 ~ For I will not show pity any more to the inhabitants of the land, an oracle of Yahweh,
but behold myself finding each human by the hand of its associate, and into the hand of its king, and they will beat the earth, and I will not deliver from their hand.
3d 4C 15
36
וָֽאֶרְעֶה֙ אֶת־צֹ֣אן הַֽהֲרֵגָ֔ה לָכֵ֖ן עֲנִיֵּ֣י הַצֹּ֑אן
וָאֶקַּֽח־לִ֞י שְׁנֵ֣י מַקְל֗וֹת לְאַחַ֞ד קָרָ֤אתִי נֹ֙עַם֙ וּלְאַחַד֙ קָרָ֣אתִי חֹֽבְלִ֔ים וָאֶרְעֶ֖ה אֶת־הַצֹּֽאן
7 And I will tend the flock of the slain indeed, O poor of the flock,
and I will take to me two sticks, the one I called Pleasure and the other I called Pledges, and I will tend the flock.
3e 4C 16
30
וָאַכְחִ֛ד אֶת־שְׁלֹ֥שֶׁת הָרֹעִ֖ים בְּיֶ֣רַח אֶחָ֑ד
וַתִּקְצַ֤ר נַפְשִׁי֙ בָּהֶ֔ם וְגַם־נַפְשָׁ֖ם בָּחֲלָ֥ה בִֽי
8 And I concealed three shepherds in one moon,
and my being harvested among them and also their beings were aghast at me.
3d 4C 15
15
וָאֹמַ֕ר לֹ֥א אֶרְעֶ֖ה אֶתְכֶ֑ם
הַמֵּתָ֣ה תָמ֗וּת וְהַנִּכְחֶ֙דֶת֙ תִּכָּחֵ֔ד וְהַ֨נִּשְׁאָר֔וֹת תֹּאכַ֕לְנָה אִשָּׁ֖ה אֶת־בְּשַׂ֥ר רְעוּתָֽהּ
9 Then I said, I will not tend you.
Who dies, let it die, and who is concealed, let it be concealed, and the residue, let each woman eat the flesh of her associate.
3e 4B 8
29
וָאֶקַּ֤ח אֶת־מַקְלִי֙ אֶת־נֹ֔עַם וָאֶגְדַּ֖ע אֹת֑וֹ
לְהָפֵיר֙ אֶת־בְּרִיתִ֔י אֲשֶׁ֥ר כָּרַ֖תִּי אֶת־כָּל־הָעַמִּֽים
10 And I took my stick Pleasure and I truncated it,
that I might thwart my covenant that I have cut with all the peoples.
3e 4C 14
17
וַתֻּפַ֖ר בַּיּ֣וֹם הַה֑וּא
וַיֵּדְע֨וּ כֵ֜ן עֲנִיֵּ֤י הַצֹּאן֙ הַשֹּׁמְרִ֣ים אֹתִ֔י כִּ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה הֽוּא
11 And it was thwarted on that day.
And they will know such that the poor of the flock, those watching me, that the word of Yahweh, is he.
3e 4C 7
20
וָאֹמַ֣ר אֲלֵיהֶ֗ם אִם־ט֧וֹב בְּעֵינֵיכֶ֛ם הָב֥וּ שְׂכָרִ֖י וְאִם־לֹ֣א ׀ חֲדָ֑לוּ
וַיִּשְׁקְל֥וּ אֶת־שְׂכָרִ֖י שְׁלֹשִׁ֥ים כָּֽסֶף
12 Then I said to them, If good in your sight, provide my wage and if not set it aside.
And they assessed my wage, thirty pieces of silver.
3c 4B 23
13
וַיֹּ֨אמֶר יְהוָ֜ה אֵלַ֗י הַשְׁלִיכֵ֙הוּ֙ אֶל־הַיּוֹצֵ֔ר אֶ֣דֶר הַיְקָ֔ר אֲשֶׁ֥ר יָקַ֖רְתִּי מֵֽעֲלֵיהֶ֑ם
וָֽאֶקְחָה֙ שְׁלֹשִׁ֣ים הַכֶּ֔סֶף וָאַשְׁלִ֥יךְ אֹת֛וֹ בֵּ֥ית יְהוָ֖ה אֶל־הַיּוֹצֵֽר
13 And Yahweh said to me, Fling it to the potter, for the excellence of the esteem with which I am esteemed from them.
And I took the thirty pieces of silver and I flung it from the house of Yahweh to the potter.
3d 4B 28
21
וָֽאֶגְדַּע֙ אֶת־מַקְלִ֣י הַשֵּׁנִ֔י אֵ֖ת הַחֹֽבְלִ֑ים
לְהָפֵר֙ אֶת־הָֽאַחֲוָ֔ה בֵּ֥ין יְהוּדָ֖ה וּבֵ֥ין יִשְׂרָאֵֽל ס
14 Then I truncated my second stick, Pledges,
to thwart the family tie between Judah and Israel.
3e 4B 13
18
וַיֹּ֥אמֶר יְהוָ֖ה אֵלָ֑י
ע֣וֹד קַח־לְךָ֔ כְּלִ֖י רֹעֶ֥ה אֱוִלִֽי
15 And Yahweh said to me,
Still take for yourself instruments of a foolish shepherd.
3e 4B 7
11
כִּ֣י הִנֵּֽה־אָנֹכִי֩ מֵקִ֨ים רֹעֶ֜ה בָּאָ֗רֶץ הַנִּכְחָד֤וֹת לֹֽא־יִפְקֹד֙ הַנַּ֣עַר לֹֽא־יְבַקֵּ֔שׁ וְהַנִּשְׁבֶּ֖רֶת לֹ֣א יְרַפֵּ֑א
הַנִּצָּבָה֙ לֹ֣א יְכַלְכֵּ֔ל וּבְשַׂ֤ר הַבְּרִיאָה֙ יֹאכַ֔ל וּפַרְסֵיהֶ֖ן יְפָרֵֽק ס
16 B For behold myself raising a shepherd in the land: those concealed he will not visit, the lad he will not seek, and the broken he will not heal.
Those who stand firm he will not nourish, but the flesh of the plenteous he will eat and their claws he will rend apart.
3e 4C 36
23
ה֣וֹי רֹעִ֤י הָֽאֱלִיל֙ עֹזְבִ֣י הַצֹּ֔אן חֶ֥רֶב עַל־זְרוֹע֖וֹ וְעַל־עֵ֣ין יְמִינ֑וֹ
זְרֹעוֹ֙ יָב֣וֹשׁ תִּיבָ֔שׁ וְעֵ֥ין יְמִינ֖וֹ כָּהֹ֥ה תִכְהֶֽה ס
17 B Alas for the good for nothing shepherd who forsakes the flock, sword on his arm and on his right eye.
His arm drying up will dry up and his right eye lessening will dim.
3e 4C 23
17


No comments:

Post a Comment