Wednesday 15 February 2017

1 Chronicles 17

Once 2 Samuel 7 was done, this chapter appeared as 74% guessed by pairs of words or better. So here it is, but there are little differences in many verses, sometimes a word change or a word or letter omitted, sometimes spelling. And I have tweaked a word or two in 2 Samuel 7 as well. Ambiguous antecedents, and tenses. I sometimes don't pay enough attention to the preterit. Given the conflation of time expressed in the Biblical imagery of redemption, I am sometimes not sure how to express tense, mood or aspect, (having first learned binyanim entirely from Hebrew poetry).

The music is below. You can scroll through the windows independently to compare. Note the ornament on place. This is a highlighting of a significant word, (maqom). All theology might be summarized by 'finding ourselves in the place just right'.



Now that phrase that JB found objectionable is interpreted here by the Chronicler.
וְזֹ֛את תּוֹרַ֥ת הָאָדָ֖ם becomes וּרְאִיתַ֗נִי כְּת֧וֹר הָאָדָ֛ם הַֽמַּעֲלָ֖ה. Is this an early example of textual emendation? Or is this even more objectionable, the course of human evolution? JB is pretty poor and dated (1962) You show me as it were a line of men! Some of the readings I put before you are incoherent. One teacher said to me, the translation must make sense. But really? Do all things have to make sense? By all means make sense of it. Make it real and concrete. But the words may still be puzzling.

1 Chronicles 17 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיְהִ֕י כַּאֲשֶׁ֛ר יָשַׁ֥ב דָּוִ֖יד בְּבֵית֑וֹ
וַיֹּ֨אמֶר דָּוִ֜יד אֶל־נָתָ֣ן הַנָּבִ֗יא הִנֵּ֨ה אָנֹכִ֤י יוֹשֵׁב֙ בְּבֵ֣ית הָֽאֲרָזִ֔ים וַאֲר֥וֹן בְּרִית־יְהוָ֖ה תַּ֥חַת יְרִיעֽוֹת
1 And it happened that as David sat in his house,
that David said to Nathan the prophet, Behold I myself sit in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of Yahweh is under curtains.
3d 4C 12
36
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר נָתָן֙ אֶל־דָּוִ֔יד כֹּ֛ל אֲשֶׁ֥ר בִּֽלְבָבְךָ֖ עֲשֵׂ֑ה
כִּ֥י הָאֱלֹהִ֖ים עִמָּֽךְ
2 And Nathan said to David, What is in your heart, do,
for this God is with you.
3d 4C 16
7
וַֽיְהִ֖י בַּלַּ֣יְלָה הַה֑וּא
וַיְהִי֙ דְּבַר־אֱלֹהִ֔ים אֶל־נָתָ֖ן לֵאמֹֽר
3 And it was in that night,
that the word of God happened to Nathan, saying,
3e 4B 7
12
לֵ֤ךְ וְאָמַרְתָּ֙ אֶל־דָּוִ֣יד עַבְדִּ֔י כֹּ֖ה אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֑ה
לֹ֥א אַתָּ֛ה תִּבְנֶה־לִּ֥י הַבַּ֖יִת לָשָֽׁבֶת
4 C Go and say to David my servant, Thus says Yahweh,
You yourself will not build for me the house to inhabit.
3d 4C 15
12
כִּ֣י לֹ֤א יָשַׁ֙בְתִּי֙ בְּבַ֔יִת מִן־הַיּ֗וֹם אֲשֶׁ֤ר הֶעֱלֵ֙יתִי֙ אֶת־יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל עַ֖ד הַיּ֣וֹם הַזֶּ֑ה
וָֽאֶהְיֶ֛ה מֵאֹ֥הֶל אֶל־אֹ֖הֶל וּמִמִּשְׁכָּֽן
5 B For I have not sat in a house from the day that I brought up Israel to this day,
but I am as one who dwells from tent to tent.
3d 4C 26
13
בְּכֹ֥ל אֲשֶֽׁר־הִתְהַלַּכְתִּי֮ בְּכָל־יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ הֲדָבָ֣ר דִּבַּ֗רְתִּי אֶת־אַחַד֙ שֹׁפְטֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֲשֶׁ֥ר צִוִּ֛יתִי לִרְע֥וֹת אֶת־עַמִּ֖י לֵאמֹ֑ר
לָ֛מָּה לֹא־בְנִיתֶ֥ם לִ֖י בֵּ֥ית אֲרָזִֽים
6 In all, wherever I walked, with all Israel, a word did I speak with one of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people, saying,
Why have you not built for me a house of cedar?
3d 4B 39
11
וְ֠עַתָּה כֹּֽה־תֹאמַ֞ר לְעַבְדִּ֣י לְדָוִ֗יד כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ יְהוָ֣ה צְבָא֔וֹת אֲנִ֤י לְקַחְתִּ֙יךָ֙ מִן־הַנָּוֶ֔ה מִֽן־אַחֲרֵ֖י הַצֹּ֑אן
לִהְי֣וֹת נָגִ֔יד עַ֖ל עַמִּ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
7 ~ So now thus you say to my servant, to David, Thus says Yahweh of hosts, I took you from the home, from following the flock,
to be heralded over my people, Israel.
3e 4C 36
10
וָֽאֶהְיֶ֣ה עִמְּךָ֗ בְּכֹל֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר הָלַ֔כְתָּ וָאַכְרִ֥ית אֶת־כָּל־אוֹיְבֶ֖יךָ מִפָּנֶ֑יךָ
וְעָשִׂ֤יתִֽי לְךָ֙ שֵׁ֔ם כְּשֵׁ֥ם הַגְּדוֹלִ֖ים אֲשֶׁ֥ר בָּאָֽרֶץ
8 And I am with you everywhere you have walked, and I cut off all your enemies from before you,
and I will make you a name like the name of the great that are in the earth.
3e 4C 24
17
וְשַׂמְתִּ֣י מָ֠קוֹם לְעַמִּ֨י יִשְׂרָאֵ֤ל וּנְטַעְתִּ֙יהוּ֙ וְשָׁכַ֣ן תַּחְתָּ֔יו וְלֹ֥א יִרְגַּ֖ז ע֑וֹד
וְלֹא־יוֹסִ֤יפוּ בְנֵי־עַוְלָה֙ לְבַלֹּת֔וֹ כַּאֲשֶׁ֖ר בָּרִאשׁוֹנָֽה
9 And I have set up a place for my people, Israel, and I will plant him, and he will dwell under it, and he will not shudder any more,
and the children of injustice will not repeatedly wear him out as at first,
3e 4C 25
19
וּלְמִיָּמִ֗ים אֲשֶׁ֨ר צִוִּ֤יתִי שֹֽׁפְטִים֙ עַל־עַמִּ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל וְהִכְנַ֖עְתִּי אֶת־כָּל־אוֹיְבֶ֑יךָ
וָאַגִּ֣ד לָ֔ךְ וּבַ֖יִת יִֽבְנֶה־לְּךָ֥ יְהוָֽה
10 and from the days that I commanded judges over my people, Israel. And I will subdue all your enemies.
And I have made clear for you that Yahweh will build a house for you.
3e 4C 26
13
וְהָיָ֗ה כִּֽי־מָלְא֤וּ יָמֶ֙יךָ֙ לָלֶ֣כֶת עִם־אֲבֹתֶ֔יךָ וַהֲקִֽימוֹתִ֤י אֶֽת־זַרְעֲךָ֙ אַחֲרֶ֔יךָ אֲשֶׁ֥ר יִהְיֶ֖ה מִבָּנֶ֑יךָ
וַהֲכִינוֹתִ֖י אֶת־מַלְכוּתֽוֹ
11 And it will be when your days are fulfilled to walk with your ancestors, then I will raise up your seed after you, that will be from your children,
and I will establish his kingdom.
3e 4C 38
9
ה֥וּא יִבְנֶה־לִּ֖י בָּ֑יִת
וְכֹנַנְתִּ֥י אֶת־כִּסְא֖וֹ עַד־עוֹלָֽם
12 f He, he will build me a house,
and I will establish his throne for evermore.
3e 4A 6
10
אֲנִי֙ אֶֽהְיֶה־לּ֣וֹ לְאָ֔ב וְה֖וּא יִֽהְיֶה־לִּ֣י לְבֵ֑ן
וְחַסְדִּי֙ לֹא־אָסִ֣יר מֵֽעִמּ֔וֹ כַּאֲשֶׁ֣ר הֲסִיר֔וֹתִי מֵאֲשֶׁ֥ר הָיָ֖ה לְפָנֶֽיךָ
13 I, I will be to him father, and he, he will be to me son.
And my kindness I will not turn aside from him, as I turned aside from the one who was before you.
3e 4B 14
24
וְהַֽעֲמַדְתִּ֛יהוּ בְּבֵיתִ֥י וּבְמַלְכוּתִ֖י עַד־הָעוֹלָ֑ם
וְכִסְא֕וֹ יִהְיֶ֥ה נָכ֖וֹן עַד־עוֹלָֽם
14 And I will stand him in my house and in my kingdom to the everlasting,
and his throne will be established for evermore.
3d 4A 17
10
כְּכֹל֙ הַדְּבָרִ֣ים הָאֵ֔לֶּה וּכְכֹ֖ל הֶחָז֣וֹן הַזֶּ֑ה
כֵּ֛ן דִּבֶּ֥ר נָתָ֖ן אֶל־דָּוִֽיד
15 According to all these words, and according to all this vision,
such was the word of Nathan to David.
3d 4B 15
8
וַיָּבֹא֙ הַמֶּ֣לֶךְ דָּוִ֔יד וַיֵּ֖שֶׁב לִפְנֵ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
וַיֹּ֗אמֶר מִֽי־אֲנִ֞י יְהוָ֤ה אֱלֹהִים֙ וּמִ֣י בֵיתִ֔י כִּ֥י הֲבִיאֹתַ֖נִי עַד־הֲלֹֽם
16 And David the king came and he sat in the presence of Yahweh,
and he said, Who am I, O Lord Yahweh, and what is my house, that you have let me come to what is so far removed?
3e 4C 15
23
וַתִּקְטַ֨ן זֹ֤את בְּעֵינֶ֙יךָ֙ אֱלֹהִ֔ים וַתְּדַבֵּ֥ר עַל־בֵּֽית־עַבְדְּךָ֖ לְמֵרָח֑וֹק
וּרְאִיתַ֗נִי כְּת֧וֹר הָאָדָ֛ם הַֽמַּעֲלָ֖ה יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהִֽים
17 And least this is in your eyes, O God. And you spoke over the house of your servant from afar,
and you see me as exploring the human ascent, Yahweh God.
3c 4C 23
18
מַה־יּוֹסִ֨יף ע֥וֹד דָּוִ֛יד אֵלֶ֖יךָ לְכָב֣וֹד אֶת־עַבְדֶּ֑ךָ
וְאַתָּ֖ה אֶֽת־עַבְדְּךָ֥ יָדָֽעְתָּ
18 What will David add further to you of glory with your servant,
and you, you know your servant.
3d 4B 16
10
יְהוָ֕ה בַּעֲב֤וּר עַבְדְּךָ֙ וּֽכְלִבְּךָ֔ עָשִׂ֕יתָ אֵ֥ת כָּל־הַגְּדוּלָּ֖ה הַזֹּ֑את
לְהֹדִ֖יעַ אֶת־כָּל־הַגְּדֻלּֽוֹת
19 Yahweh, on behalf of your servant, and according to your heart, you have done all this greatness,
to make known all great things.
3e 4C 21
9
יְהוָה֙ אֵ֣ין כָּמ֔וֹךָ וְאֵ֥ין אֱלֹהִ֖ים זוּלָתֶ֑ךָ
בְּכֹ֥ל אֲשֶׁר־שָׁמַ֖עְנוּ בְּאָזְנֵֽינוּ
20 Yahweh, there is none like you and there is no God except you,
in all that we have heard with our ears.
3e 4B 15
11
וּמִי֙ כְּעַמְּךָ֣ יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל גּ֥וֹי אֶחָ֖ד בָּאָ֑רֶץ
אֲשֶׁר֩ הָלַ֨ךְ הָאֱלֹהִ֜ים לִפְדּ֧וֹת ל֣וֹ עָ֗ם לָשׂ֤וּם לְךָ֙ שֵׁ֚ם גְּדֻלּ֣וֹת וְנֹרָא֔וֹת לְגָרֵ֗שׁ מִפְּנֵ֧י עַמְּךָ֛ אֲשֶׁר־פָּדִ֥יתָ מִמִּצְרַ֖יִם גּוֹיִֽם
21 And who is as your people? as Israel, one nation in the earth?
that God led to ransom for himself a people, and to define for yourself a name of great and fearful things, to expel before your people that you have ransomed from Egypt, nations.
3c 4C 15
41
וַ֠תִּתֵּן אֶת־עַמְּךָ֨ יִשְׂרָאֵ֧ל ׀ לְךָ֛ לְעָ֖ם עַד־עוֹלָ֑ם
וְאַתָּ֣ה יְהוָ֔ה הָיִ֥יתָ לָהֶ֖ם לֵאלֹהִֽים
22 ~ And you assign your people, Israel, for you, for a people, for evermore,
and you Yahweh, you have become their God.
3c 4B 16
13
וְעַתָּ֣ה יְהוָ֔ה הַדָּבָ֗ר אֲשֶׁ֨ר דִּבַּ֤רְתָּ עַֽל־עַבְדְּךָ֙ וְעַל־בֵּית֔וֹ יֵאָמֵ֖ן עַד־עוֹלָ֑ם
וַעֲשֵׂ֖ה כַּאֲשֶׁ֥ר דִּבַּֽרְתָּ
23 And now, Yahweh, the thing that you have spoken over your servant and over his house, let it be dependable for evermore,
and do as you spoke.
3e 4C 27
9
וְ֠יֵֽאָמֵן וְיִגְדַּ֨ל שִׁמְךָ֤ עַד־עוֹלָם֙ לֵאמֹ֔ר יְהוָ֤ה צְבָאוֹת֙ אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֱלֹהִ֖ים לְיִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
וּבֵית־דָּוִ֥יד עַבְדְּךָ֖ נָכ֥וֹן לְפָנֶֽיךָ
24 ~ So let it be dependable and let your name be magnified for evermore, saying, Yahweh of hosts, the God of Israel, God to Israel,
and the house of David, your servant, established in your presence.
3e 4C 32
13
כִּ֣י ׀ אַתָּ֣ה אֱלֹהַ֗י גָּלִ֙יתָ֙ אֶת־אֹ֣זֶן עַבְדְּךָ֔ לִבְנ֥וֹת ל֖וֹ בָּ֑יִת
עַל־כֵּן֙ מָצָ֣א עַבְדְּךָ֔ לְהִתְפַּלֵּ֖ל לְפָנֶֽיךָ
25 B For you, O God, disclosed to the ear of your servant that you would build for him a house,
so your servant found prayer in your presence.
3e 4B 20
15
וְעַתָּ֣ה יְהוָ֔ה אַתָּה־ה֖וּא הָאֱלֹהִ֑ים
וַתְּדַבֵּר֙ עַֽל־עַבְדְּךָ֔ הַטּוֹבָ֖ה הַזֹּֽאת
26 And now, Yahweh, you, (he is the God)
and you have spoken over your servant this good.
3e 4B 12
12
וְעַתָּ֗ה הוֹאַ֙לְתָּ֙ לְבָרֵךְ֙ אֶת־בֵּ֣ית עַבְדְּךָ֔ לִהְי֥וֹת לְעוֹלָ֖ם לְפָנֶ֑יךָ
כִּֽי־אַתָּ֤ה יְהוָה֙ בֵּרַ֔כְתָּ וּמְבֹרָ֖ךְ לְעוֹלָֽם
27 And now let it be that you bless the house of your servant to be forever in your presence,
for you, Yahweh, you bless, and blessing is forever.
3e 4C 23
13


No comments:

Post a Comment