Wednesday 1 February 2017

Isaiah 63

I decided to do some chapters from the bottom of my list. I thought I might find that these, which had a low multiple word rate of guessing by the computer, might seed other parts of the data. It occurs to me that I could design a query to discover the %guessed by book and word string length. It would be a cross-tab 39 x 8 columns or perhaps 16. I'll think about it. It might prove interesting.

I was surprised to see Isaiah 64 low on my list at less than 10% complete by automated word guess, and this led me back to Isaiah 63 since the chapter division is variable between English and Hebrew.

Here is 63. 64 will follow shortly. If one looks at the 21 words (excluding the most common) recurring more than twice, the chapter leads from garments and clothing to a focus on name. 27 additional words occur exactly twice, the first this, the last our father. As is usual, one must ask who is speaking to whom for each part of the chapter. Speakers change without identification. So do point of view and implied pronoun antecedents, as is common.

Isaiah 63 Fn Min Max Syll
מִי־זֶ֣ה ׀ בָּ֣א מֵאֱד֗וֹם חֲמ֤וּץ בְּגָדִים֙ מִבָּצְרָ֔ה זֶ֚ה הָד֣וּר בִּלְבוּשׁ֔וֹ צֹעֶ֖ה בְּרֹ֣ב כֹּח֑וֹ
אֲנִ֛י מְדַבֵּ֥ר בִּצְדָקָ֖ה רַ֥ב לְהוֹשִֽׁיעַ
1 Who is this coming from Edom, leavened garments from Bozrah, this, honoured in his clothing, stooped by the abundance of his power?
I who speak in righteousness, abundant to save.
3d 4C 26
13
מַדּ֥וּעַ אָדֹ֖ם לִלְבוּשֶׁ֑ךָ
וּבְגָדֶ֖יךָ כְּדֹרֵ֥ךְ בְּגַֽת
2 f Why is your clothing ruddy,
and your garments like one that treads in the vat?
3e 4A 9
9
פּוּרָ֣ה ׀ דָּרַ֣כְתִּי לְבַדִּ֗י וּמֵֽעַמִּים֙ אֵֽין־אִ֣ישׁ אִתִּ֔י וְאֶדְרְכֵ֣ם בְּאַפִּ֔י וְאֶרְמְסֵ֖ם בַּחֲמָתִ֑י
וְיֵ֤ז נִצְחָם֙ עַל־בְּגָדַ֔י וְכָל־מַלְבּוּשַׁ֖י אֶגְאָֽלְתִּי
3 Winepress I have trodden, I alone, and from the peoples there was no person with me, so I trod them in my anger and I trampled them in my heat,
and their juice is spattered over my garments, and the whole of my clothing I have redeemed.
3e 4C 31
16
כִּ֛י י֥וֹם נָקָ֖ם בְּלִבִּ֑י
וּשְׁנַ֥ת גְּאוּלַ֖י בָּֽאָה
4 d For a day of vengeance was in my heart,
and the year of my redemption has come.
3d 4A 7
7
וְאַבִּיט֙ וְאֵ֣ין עֹזֵ֔ר וְאֶשְׁתּוֹמֵ֖ם וְאֵ֣ין סוֹמֵ֑ךְ
וַתּ֤וֹשַֽׁע לִי֙ זְרֹעִ֔י וַחֲמָתִ֖י הִ֥יא סְמָכָֽתְנִי
5 And I took note, and there was no help. And I made myself desolate, and there was no support.
So my salvation was my arm. And my heat, it supported me.
3e 4C 15
16
וְאָב֤וּס עַמִּים֙ בְּאַפִּ֔י וַאֲשַׁכְּרֵ֖ם בַּחֲמָתִ֑י
וְאוֹרִ֥יד לָאָ֖רֶץ נִצְחָֽם
6 And I trod down peoples in my anger, and made them intoxicated in my heat,
and I made their juice descend to the earth.
3e 4C 16
8
חַֽסְדֵ֨י יְהוָ֤ה ׀ אַזְכִּיר֙ תְּהִלֹּ֣ת יְהוָ֔ה כְּעַ֕ל כֹּ֥ל אֲשֶׁר־גְּמָלָ֖נוּ יְהוָ֑ה
וְרַב־טוּב֙ לְבֵ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֲשֶׁר־גְּמָלָ֥ם כְּֽרַחֲמָ֖יו וּכְרֹ֥ב חֲסָדָֽיו
7 The kindness of Yahweh I will remember, the praises of Yahweh as above all that Yahweh rewarded us,
and abundant good for the house of Israel that he rewarded them, his compassions, and his abundant kindness.
3e 4C 22
22
וַיֹּ֙אמֶר֙ אַךְ־עַמִּ֣י הֵ֔מָּה בָּנִ֖ים לֹ֣א יְשַׁקֵּ֑רוּ
וַיְהִ֥י לָהֶ֖ם לְמוֹשִֽׁיעַ
8 And he said, Surely my people they are, children without falsehood,
and he became their saviour.
3e 4B 15
8
בְּֽכָל־צָרָתָ֣ם ׀ ל֣וֹ צָ֗ר וּמַלְאַ֤ךְ פָּנָיו֙ הֽוֹשִׁיעָ֔ם בְּאַהֲבָת֥וֹ וּבְחֶמְלָת֖וֹ ה֣וּא גְאָלָ֑ם
וַֽיְנַטְּלֵ֥ם וַֽיְנַשְּׂאֵ֖ם כָּל־יְמֵ֥י עוֹלָֽם
9 In all their troubles, his trouble, and the angel of his presence saved them. In his love and in his pity, he himself redeemed them,
and he tolerated them and he bore them all the days of old.
3e 4C 28
11
וְהֵ֛מָּה מָר֥וּ וְעִצְּב֖וּ אֶת־ר֣וּחַ קָדְשׁ֑וֹ
וַיֵּהָפֵ֥ךְ לָהֶ֛ם לְאוֹיֵ֖ב ה֥וּא נִלְחַם־בָּֽם
10 But they, they were provocative, and they pained the spirit of his holiness,
so he changed to be their enemy. He was at war with them.
3d 4B 13
13
וַיִּזְכֹּ֥ר יְמֵֽי־עוֹלָ֖ם מֹשֶׁ֣ה עַמּ֑וֹ
אַיֵּ֣ה ׀ הַֽמַּעֲלֵ֣ם מִיָּ֗ם אֵ֚ת רֹעֵ֣י צֹאנ֔וֹ אַיֵּ֛ה הַשָּׂ֥ם בְּקִרְבּ֖וֹ אֶת־ר֥וּחַ קָדְשֽׁוֹ
11 For he remembered the days of old, Moses, his people.
Where is the one who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? Where is the one who sets in place within him, the spirit of his holiness?
3d 4C 10
25
מוֹלִיךְ֙ לִימִ֣ין מֹשֶׁ֔ה זְר֖וֹעַ תִּפְאַרְתּ֑וֹ
בּ֤וֹקֵֽעַ מַ֙יִם֙ מִפְּנֵיהֶ֔ם לַעֲשׂ֥וֹת ל֖וֹ שֵׁ֥ם עוֹלָֽם
12 the one who led by the right hand of Moses, the arm of his adornment?
the one who split water before their faces, to make for himself an everlasting name?
3e 4C 12
14
מוֹלִיכָ֖ם בַּתְּהֹמ֑וֹת
כַּסּ֥וּס בַּמִּדְבָּ֖ר לֹ֥א יִכָּשֵֽׁלוּ
13 who led them in the abysses, like a horse in the wilderness?
They will not stumble.
3e 4A 6
10
כַּבְּהֵמָה֙ בַּבִּקְעָ֣ה תֵרֵ֔ד ר֥וּחַ יְהוָ֖ה תְּנִיחֶ֑נּוּ
כֵּ֚ן נִהַ֣גְתָּ עַמְּךָ֔ לַעֲשׂ֥וֹת לְךָ֖ שֵׁ֥ם תִּפְאָֽרֶת
14 As a beast in the crevasse descends, the spirit of Yahweh made him rest.
Indeed you drove your people to make for yourself a name of adornment.
3e 4C 16
15
הַבֵּ֤ט מִשָּׁמַ֙יִם֙ וּרְאֵ֔ה מִזְּבֻ֥ל קָדְשְׁךָ֖ וְתִפְאַרְתֶּ֑ךָ
אַיֵּ֤ה קִנְאָֽתְךָ֙ וּגְב֣וּרֹתֶ֔ךָ הֲמ֥וֹן מֵעֶ֛יךָ וְֽרַחֲמֶ֖יךָ אֵלַ֥י הִתְאַפָּֽקוּ
15 Take note from the heavens, and see from your holy residence and your adornment.
Where is your jealousy and your valour? The tumult of your inner parts and your compassions to me, are they repressed?
3d 4C 17
26
כִּֽי־אַתָּ֣ה אָבִ֔ינוּ כִּ֤י אַבְרָהָם֙ לֹ֣א יְדָעָ֔נוּ וְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל לֹ֣א יַכִּירָ֑נוּ
אַתָּ֤ה יְהוָה֙ אָבִ֔ינוּ גֹּאֲלֵ֥נוּ מֵֽעוֹלָ֖ם שְׁמֶֽךָ
16 Because you are our father, though Abraham not know us, and Israel not recognize us,
You, Yahweh, our father, our redeemer. From everlasting, your name.
3e 4C 23
16
לָ֣מָּה תַתְעֵ֤נוּ יְהוָה֙ מִדְּרָכֶ֔יךָ תַּקְשִׁ֥יחַ לִבֵּ֖נוּ מִיִּרְאָתֶ֑ךָ
שׁ֚וּב לְמַ֣עַן עֲבָדֶ֔יךָ שִׁבְטֵ֖י נַחֲלָתֶֽךָ
17 B Why did you make us wander, Yahweh, from your ways? and make severe our heart from your fear?
Return for the sake of your servants, the sceptres of your legacy.
3e 4C 22
15
לַמִּצְעָ֕ר יָרְשׁ֖וּ עַם־קָדְשֶׁ֑ךָ
צָרֵ֕ינוּ בּוֹסְס֖וּ מִקְדָּשֶֽׁךָ
18 In small part the people of your holiness had possession.
Our foes have trodden down your sanctuary.
3e 4A 9
9
הָיִ֗ינוּ מֵֽעוֹלָם֙ לֹֽא־מָשַׁ֣לְתָּ בָּ֔ם לֹֽא־נִקְרָ֥א שִׁמְךָ֖ עֲלֵיהֶ֑ם
לוּא־קָרַ֤עְתָּ שָׁמַ֙יִם֙ יָרַ֔דְתָּ מִפָּנֶ֖יךָ הָרִ֥ים נָזֹֽלּוּ
19 We are from of old. Do you not govern in them? Is your name not called over them?
Oh that you would rip heaven and descend, that from your presence the hills might flow.
3e 4C 18
18


No comments:

Post a Comment