Saturday 13 January 2018

Ezekiel 13

Fake news is not a new thing. This is a troublesome bit of puzzling. It seems to me that other translations are equally stumped, but they read so smoothly you wouldn't know it. נפשׁ occurs frequently here, 8 times. It seems to me to refer to competing groups of the people who are either in or out.

There is an awareness of text and its continuity here (verse 9). I don't know what to make of the wall (חיצ) in verse 10. It is not there either to build it (KJV) or to fail to build it (JB). It is clearly a wall (הומה) later in the chapter.

Like foxes, an example of the idiom from the Song of Songs 2:15.

Stones of the pearls of the One - maybe hailstones would do for this inventive image.

Ezekiel 13 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 1 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם הִנָּבֵ֛א אֶל־נְבִיאֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל הַנִּבָּאִ֑ים
וְאָֽמַרְתָּ֙ לִנְבִיאֵ֣י מִלִּבָּ֔ם שִׁמְע֖וּ דְּבַר־יְהוָֽה
2 Child of humanity, prophesy to the prophets of Israel who prophesy,
and say to the prophets of their own heart, Hear the word of Yahweh.
3d 4B 17
16
כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה ה֖וֹי עַל־הַנְּבִיאִ֣ים הַנְּבָלִ֑ים
אֲשֶׁ֥ר הֹלְכִ֛ים אַחַ֥ר רוּחָ֖ם וּלְבִלְתִּ֥י רָאֽוּ
3 C Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Alas for the senseless prophets,
who are led to follow their own spirit and have seen nothing.
3d 4C 17
13
כְּשֻׁעָלִ֖ים בָּחֳרָב֑וֹת
נְבִיאֶ֥יךָ יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל הָיֽוּ
4 Like foxes in the deserts,
are your prophets, O Israel.
3e 4A 8
9
לֹ֤א עֲלִיתֶם֙ בַּפְּרָצ֔וֹת וַתִּגְדְּר֥וּ גָדֵ֖ר עַל־בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
לַעֲמֹ֥ד בַּמִּלְחָמָ֖ה בְּי֥וֹם יְהוָֽה
5 C You have not gone up into the breaches, nor fenced a fence over the house of Israel,
to stand in the battle in the day of Yahweh.
3e 4C 18
11
חָ֤זוּ שָׁוְא֙ וְקֶ֣סֶם כָּזָ֔ב הָאֹֽמְרִים֙ נְאֻם־יְהוָ֔ה וַֽיהוָ֖ה לֹ֣א שְׁלָחָ֑ם
וְיִֽחֲל֖וּ לְקַיֵּ֥ם דָּבָֽר
6 C They gaze on vanity and lying soothsaying who say, An oracle of Yahweh, and Yahweh has not sent them,
and they have hoped to place a word.
3e 4C 21
9
הֲל֤וֹא מַֽחֲזֵה־שָׁוְא֙ חֲזִיתֶ֔ם וּמִקְסַ֥ם כָּזָ֖ב אֲמַרְתֶּ֑ם
וְאֹֽמְרִים֙ נְאֻם־יְהוָ֔ה וַאֲנִ֖י לֹ֥א דִבַּֽרְתִּי
7 Have you not gazed on a vision of vanity or said, Lying soothsaying,
when those who say, An oracle of Yahweh, and I myself did not speak?
3e 4C 17
14
לָכֵ֗ן כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה יַ֚עַן דַּבֶּרְכֶ֣ם שָׁ֔וְא וַחֲזִיתֶ֖ם כָּזָ֑ב
לָכֵן֙ הִנְנִ֣י אֲלֵיכֶ֔ם נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
8 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Because you speak vanity and gaze on a lie,
so note me well concerning you, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh,
3e 4C 22
14
וְהָיְתָ֣ה יָדִ֗י אֶֽל־הַנְּבִיאִ֞ים הַחֹזִ֣ים שָׁוְא֮ וְהַקֹּסְמִ֣ים כָּזָב֒ בְּס֧וֹד עַמִּ֣י לֹֽא־יִהְי֗וּ וּבִכְתָ֤ב בֵּֽית־יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ לֹ֣א יִכָּתֵ֔בוּ וְאֶל־אַדְמַ֥ת יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל לֹ֣א יָבֹ֑אוּ
וִידַעְתֶּ֕ם כִּ֥י אֲנִ֖י אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
9 My hand will be to the prophets who gaze on vanity and the lying soothsayers. In the council of my people they will not be, and in the writing of the house of Israel they will not be written, and to the ground of Israel they will not enter,
and you will know that I am the Lord Yahweh.
3c 4C 48
11
יַ֣עַן וּבְיַ֜עַן הִטְע֧וּ אֶת־עַמִּ֛י לֵאמֹ֥ר שָׁל֖וֹם וְאֵ֣ין שָׁל֑וֹם
וְהוּא֙ בֹּ֣נֶה חַ֔יִץ וְהִנָּ֛ם טָחִ֥ים אֹת֖וֹ תָּפֵֽל
10 B Because, and because they have made my people wander, saying, Peace, and there is no peace,
and they build up an outward show, and behold them plastering it with fickleness.
3c 4B 18
14
אֱמֹ֛ר אֶל־טָחֵ֥י תָפֵ֖ל וְיִפֹּ֑ל
הָיָ֣ה ׀ גֶּ֣שֶׁם שׁוֹטֵ֗ף וְאַתֵּ֜נָה אַבְנֵ֤י אֶלְגָּבִישׁ֙ תִּפֹּ֔לְנָה וְר֥וּחַ סְעָר֖וֹת תְּבַקֵּֽעַ
11 Say to those who plaster with fickleness that it will fall.
There will be an overflowing shower and you, stones of the pearls of the One, will fall, and a tempestuous wind will split in two.
3d 4C 10
28
וְהִנֵּ֖ה נָפַ֣ל הַקִּ֑יר
הֲלוֹא֙ יֵאָמֵ֣ר אֲלֵיכֶ֔ם אַיֵּ֥ה הַטִּ֖יחַ אֲשֶׁ֥ר טַחְתֶּֽם
12 And behold, the house wall fallen,
will it not be said concerning you, Where is the plaster that you plastered with?
3e 4B 7
17
לָכֵ֗ן כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה וּבִקַּעְתִּ֥י רֽוּחַ־סְעָר֖וֹת בַּֽחֲמָתִ֑י
וְגֶ֤שֶׁם שֹׁטֵף֙ בְּאַפִּ֣י יִֽהְיֶ֔ה וְאַבְנֵ֥י אֶלְגָּבִ֖ישׁ בְּחֵמָ֥ה לְכָלָֽה
13 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, I will split in two with a tempestuous wind in my heat,
and an overflowing shower in my anger there will be, and stones of the pearls of the One in my heat, to consume.
3e 4C 23
22
וְהָ֨רַסְתִּ֜י אֶת־הַקִּ֨יר אֲשֶׁר־טַחְתֶּ֥ם תָּפֵ֛ל וְהִגַּעְתִּ֥יהוּ אֶל־הָאָ֖רֶץ וְנִגְלָ֣ה יְסֹד֑וֹ
וְנָֽפְלָה֙ וּכְלִיתֶ֣ם בְּתוֹכָ֔הּ וִֽידַעְתֶּ֖ם כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
14 And I will overthrow the house wall that you plastered with fickleness and touch it to the earth, so its foundation is uncovered and will fall,
and you will be consumed in her midst, and you will know that I am Yahweh.
3d 4B 28
16
וְכִלֵּיתִ֤י אֶת־חֲמָתִי֙ בַּקִּ֔יר וּבַטָּחִ֥ים אֹת֖וֹ תָּפֵ֑ל
וְאֹמַ֤ר לָכֶם֙ אֵ֣ין הַקִּ֔יר וְאֵ֖ין הַטָּחִ֥ים אֹתֽוֹ
15 So I will consume my heat in the house wall and in those who plaster it with fickleness,
and I will say to you, There is no house wall and there is no one who plasters it,
3e 4C 18
15
נְבִיאֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל הַֽנִבְּאִים֙ אֶל־יְר֣וּשָׁלִַ֔ם וְהַחֹזִ֥ים לָ֖הּ חֲז֣וֹן שָׁלֹ֑ם
וְאֵ֣ין שָׁלֹ֔ם נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהֹוִֽה
16 ... prophets of Israel who prophesy to Jerusalem and who gaze for her on visions of peace,
when there is no peace, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4B 23
12
וְאַתָּ֣ה בֶן־אָדָ֗ם שִׂ֤ים פָּנֶ֙יךָ֙ אֶל־בְּנ֣וֹת עַמְּךָ֔ הַמִּֽתְנַבְּא֖וֹת מִֽלִּבְּהֶ֑ן
וְהִנָּבֵ֖א עֲלֵיהֶֽן
17 And you, child of humanity, set your face to the daughters of your people, those who prophesy from their own heart,
and prophesy concerning them.
3e 4C 22
7
וְאָמַרְתָּ֞ כֹּה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הוֹי֩ לִֽמְתַפְּר֨וֹת כְּסָת֜וֹת עַ֣ל ׀ כָּל־אַצִּילֵ֣י יָדַ֗י וְעֹשׂ֧וֹת הַמִּסְפָּח֛וֹת עַל־רֹ֥אשׁ כָּל־קוֹמָ֖ה לְצוֹדֵ֣ד נְפָשׁ֑וֹת
הַנְּפָשׁוֹת֙ תְּצוֹדֵ֣דְנָה לְעַמִּ֔י וּנְפָשׁ֖וֹת לָכֶ֥נָה תְחַיֶּֽינָה
18 And say, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Alas to those who sew frills over all the joints of my hand, and who make long veils over the head of every place, to hunt everyone.
The groups that you hunt of my people, and the groups that are yours, will you keep alive?
3c 4B 45
20
וַתְּחַלֶּלְ֨נָה אֹתִ֜י אֶל־עַמִּ֗י בְּשַׁעֲלֵ֣י שְׂעֹרִים֮ וּבִפְת֣וֹתֵי לֶחֶם֒ לְהָמִ֤ית נְפָשׁוֹת֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר לֹֽא־תְמוּתֶ֔נָה וּלְחַיּ֥וֹת נְפָשׁ֖וֹת אֲשֶׁ֣ר לֹא־תִֽחְיֶ֑ינָה
בְּכַ֨זֶּבְכֶ֔ם לְעַמִּ֖י שֹׁמְעֵ֥י כָזָֽב
19 And you profane me to my people for a fistful of barley and for a fragment of bread, to put to death groups that should not die and to keep groups living that you should not keep alive,
in your lying to my people who hear lying.
3e 4C 47
11
לָכֵ֞ן כֹּה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנְנִ֤י אֶל־כִּסְּתוֹתֵיכֶ֙נָה֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר אַ֠תֵּנָה מְצֹדְד֨וֹת שָׁ֤ם אֶת־הַנְּפָשׁוֹת֙ לְפֹ֣רְח֔וֹת וְקָרַעְתִּ֣י אֹתָ֔ם מֵעַ֖ל זְרוֹעֹֽתֵיכֶ֑ם
וְשִׁלַּחְתִּי֙ אֶת־הַנְּפָשׁ֔וֹת אֲשֶׁ֥ר אַתֶּ֛ם מְצֹדְד֥וֹת אֶת־נְפָשִׁ֖ים לְפֹרְחֹֽת
20 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold me, your frills with which you hunt there the groups that flourish, I will rip them from your arms,
and I will send the groups that you hunt with the groups that flourish.
3d 4C 47
22
וְקָרַעְתִּ֞י אֶת־מִסְפְּחֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם וְהִצַּלְתִּ֤י אֶת־עַמִּי֙ מִיֶּדְכֶ֔ן וְלֹֽא־יִהְי֥וּ ע֛וֹד בְּיֶדְכֶ֖ן לִמְצוּדָ֑ה
וִֽידַעְתֶּ֖ן כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
21 And I will rip your long veils, and I will deliver my people from your hand, and they will be no more in your hand to hunt,
and you will know that I am Yahweh.
3d 4C 31
7
יַ֣עַן הַכְא֤וֹת לֵב־צַדִּיק֙ שֶׁ֔קֶר וַאֲנִ֖י לֹ֣א הִכְאַבְתִּ֑יו
וּלְחַזֵּק֙ יְדֵ֣י רָשָׁ֔ע לְבִלְתִּי־שׁ֛וּב מִדַּרְכּ֥וֹ הָרָ֖ע לְהַחֲיֹתֽוֹ
22 B Because downcast is the heart of a righteous one through falsehood, and I not did make him sorrowful,
and encouraged are the hands of the wicked one, that it should not turn from its evil way and have life.
3d 4C 16
21
לָכֵ֗ן שָׁ֚וְא לֹ֣א תֶחֱזֶ֔ינָה וְקֶ֖סֶם לֹא־תִקְסַ֣מְנָה ע֑וֹד
וְהִצַּלְתִּ֤י אֶת־עַמִּי֙ מִיֶּדְכֶ֔ן וִֽידַעְתֶּ֖ן כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
23 Therefore vanity, you will not gaze on, and soothsaying, you will not say sooth any more,
and I will deliver my people from your hand, and you will know that I am Yahweh.
3e 4C 16
17


No comments:

Post a Comment