Friday 13 April 2018

Isaiah 45

Now I think we begin an interesting journey. Just what does reading the entire Old Testament in Hebrew, seeing the myriad of theological decisions made in favour of this or that translation, do to one's faith?

You will note that I have not used the phrase loving-kindness since last year and I have replaced that unnecessary gloss with kindness or mercy, both of which are sufficient, even with a Christian reading. I have also rejected atonement as a gloss. And you will not find satisfaction or appeasement applied to the sacrificial offerings. There is likewise no punishment in my renderings. Plenty of consequence of course. I still debate if I will allow soul. I am unhappy with any substitute. But that is a minor issue in the overall scheme of faith.

I question how I can see the incarnation in TNK. I am sure it can be done. But I do not wish to force it. If it is anywhere, it is in Second-Isaiah in the servant songs, but they also have local and temporal application. The big question is how does Yahweh relate to the Jesus of Greek/Christian thought? I have not yet seen an adequate reading outside of the Epistle to the Hebrews. What will that and the Pauline corpus and the Gospels do in me as I continue this experiment with my life?

There are key phrases in this chapter that relate - notably the claim to uniqueness for Yahweh which the NT applies to Jesus. (Romans 14:11, Philippians 2:10-11 citing Isaiah 45:23.) The phrasing of the uniqueness is unique in this chapter (verses 5, 6, 14, 18, 21, 22). The phrasing is partially reflected in Deuteronomy 4:35, Joel 2:27, 1 Kings 8:60, and one anticipating in chapter 44 and one to come in chapter 46. If there is none else, no God beside Yahweh, if the end is nothing apart from him, then who is this Jesus of the NT and the claims made for him by his followers? (Study verses 14 and 21 and help me out, if you will.)

I have been to church this past low Sunday, at a parish I can no longer attend because of CF. The potential for incense to be fatal to my grandson leaves me wondering about at least one metaphor for our self-offering in Christ, that of the thurifer.

One hint of the Incarnation is in the command from Yahweh, Command me. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. Who is the advisor, the commandant of Yahweh?

Isaiah 45 Fn Min Max Syll
כֹּה־אָמַ֣ר יְהוָה֮ לִמְשִׁיחוֹ֮ לְכ֣וֹרֶשׁ אֲשֶׁר־הֶחֱזַ֣קְתִּי בִֽימִינ֗וֹ לְרַד־לְפָנָיו֙ גּוֹיִ֔ם וּמָתְנֵ֥י מְלָכִ֖ים אֲפַתֵּ֑חַ
לִפְתֹּ֤חַ לְפָנָיו֙ דְּלָתַ֔יִם וּשְׁעָרִ֖ים לֹ֥א יִסָּגֵֽרוּ
1 Thus says Yahweh to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have made resolute, to wrap nations before him. And the loins of sovereigns I will loose,
to open before him portals and gates. They will not be latched.
3e 4C 37
17
אֲנִי֙ לְפָנֶ֣יךָ אֵלֵ֔ךְ וַהֲדוּרִ֖ים אֲיַשֵּׁ֑ר
דַּלְת֤וֹת נְחוּשָׁה֙ אֲשַׁבֵּ֔ר וּבְרִיחֵ֥י בַרְזֶ֖ל אֲגַדֵּֽעַ
2 I myself will go before you. And the honoured, I will make upright.
Brazen gateways I will break, and bars of iron I will truncate.
3e 4C 15
17
וְנָתַתִּ֤י לְךָ֙ אוֹצְר֣וֹת חֹ֔שֶׁךְ וּמַטְמֻנֵ֖י מִסְתָּרִ֑ים
לְמַ֣עַן תֵּדַ֗ע כִּֽי־אֲנִ֧י יְהוָ֛ה הַקּוֹרֵ֥א בְשִׁמְךָ֖ אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
3 And I will give to you the treasuries of darkness, and the buried treasure from hidden places,
in order that you may know that I am Yahweh, the one calling in your name, the God of Israel.
3c 4C 17
21
לְמַ֙עַן֙ עַבְדִּ֣י יַעֲקֹ֔ב וְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל בְּחִירִ֑י
וָאֶקְרָ֤א לְךָ֙ בִּשְׁמֶ֔ךָ אֲכַנְּךָ֖ וְלֹ֥א יְדַעְתָּֽנִי
4 For the sake of my servant, Jacob, and Israel my chosen,
I called to you in your name. I have entitled you, and you do not know me.
3e 4C 15
17
אֲנִ֤י יְהוָה֙ וְאֵ֣ין ע֔וֹד זוּלָתִ֖י אֵ֣ין אֱלֹהִ֑ים
אֲאַזֶּרְךָ֖ וְלֹ֥א יְדַעְתָּֽנִי
5 I am Yahweh and there is none else. Except me, there is no God.
I have girded you and you do not know me.
3e 4C 14
10
לְמַ֣עַן יֵדְע֗וּ מִמִּזְרַח־שֶׁ֙מֶשׁ֙ וּמִמַּ֣עֲרָבָ֔הּ כִּי־אֶ֖פֶס בִּלְעָדָ֑י
אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה וְאֵ֥ין עֽוֹד
6 So that they will know from the rising of the sun and from the sunset, that it is ended apart from me.
I am Yahweh, and there is none else,
3e 4B 21
7
יוֹצֵ֥ר אוֹר֙ וּבוֹרֵ֣א חֹ֔שֶׁךְ עֹשֶׂ֥ה שָׁל֖וֹם וּב֣וֹרֵא רָ֑ע
אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה עֹשֶׂ֥ה כָל־אֵֽלֶּה
7 fashion light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil,
I am Yahweh doing all these.
3e 4B 16
9
הַרְעִ֤יפוּ שָׁמַ֙יִם֙ מִמַּ֔עַל וּשְׁחָקִ֖ים יִזְּלוּ־צֶ֑דֶק
תִּפְתַּח־אֶ֣רֶץ וְיִפְרוּ־יֶ֗שַׁע וּצְדָקָ֤ה תַצְמִ֙יחַ֙ יַ֔חַד אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה בְּרָאתִֽיו
8 Let heaven drip from above and let skies flow with righteousness.
Let the earth open, and let them be fruitful. Let salvation and righteousness grow together.
I, Yahweh, I have created it.
3e 4C 14
23
ה֗וֹי רָ֚ב אֶת־יֹ֣צְר֔וֹ חֶ֖רֶשׂ אֶת־חַרְשֵׂ֣י אֲדָמָ֑ה
הֲיֹאמַ֨ר חֹ֤מֶר לְיֹֽצְרוֹ֙ מַֽה־תַּעֲשֶׂ֔ה וּפָעָלְךָ֖ אֵין־יָדַ֥יִם לֽוֹ
9 ~ Alas for one who strives with the one who fashions him, potsherd with the potsherds of the ground,
Will clay say to its potter, What are you doing? And your work, there are no hands for it?
3e 4C 14
20
ה֛וֹי אֹמֵ֥ר לְאָ֖ב מַה־תּוֹלִ֑יד
וּלְאִשָּׁ֖ה מַה־תְּחִילִֽין
10 d Alas for one who says to a father, What did you beget?
And to the woman, What have you birthed?
3d 4A 9
7
כֹּֽה־אָמַ֧ר יְהוָ֛ה קְד֥וֹשׁ יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל וְיֹצְר֑וֹ
הָאֹתִיּ֣וֹת שְׁאָל֔וּנִי עַל־בָּנַ֛י וְעַל־פֹּ֥עַל יָדַ֖י תְּצַוֻּֽנִי
11 Thus says Yahweh the Holy One of Israel and its fashioner,
What is to arrive? Ask me concerning my children. And concerning the work of my hands, command me.
3c 4B 13
21
אָֽנֹכִי֙ עָשִׂ֣יתִי אֶ֔רֶץ וְאָדָ֖ם עָלֶ֣יהָ בָרָ֑אתִי
אֲנִ֗י יָדַי֙ נָט֣וּ שָׁמַ֔יִם וְכָל־צְבָאָ֖ם צִוֵּֽיתִי
12 I am. I made earth. and the earthling on it I created.
I am. My hands stretched out heaven, and all their hosts I have commanded.
3e 4B 17
16
אָנֹכִי֙ הַעִירֹתִ֣הֽוּ בְצֶ֔דֶק וְכָל־דְּרָכָ֖יו אֲיַשֵּׁ֑ר
הֽוּא־יִבְנֶ֤ה עִירִי֙ וְגָלוּתִ֣י יְשַׁלֵּ֔חַ לֹ֤א בִמְחִיר֙ וְלֹ֣א בְשֹׁ֔חַד אָמַ֖ר יְהוָ֥ה צְבָאֽוֹת
13 I am. I have roused him in righteousness and all his ways I will make upright.
He himself will build my city. and my exiles he will send. Not at a price and not for a bribe, says Yahweh of hosts.
3e 4C 19
28
כֹּ֣ה ׀ אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֗ה יְגִ֨יעַ מִצְרַ֥יִם וּֽסְחַר־כּוּשׁ֮ וּסְבָאִים֮ אַנְשֵׁ֣י מִדָּה֒ עָלַ֤יִךְ יַעֲבֹ֙רוּ֙ וְלָ֣ךְ יִֽהְי֔וּ אַחֲרַ֣יִךְ יֵלֵ֔כוּ בַּזִּקִּ֖ים יַעֲבֹ֑רוּ
וְאֵלַ֤יִךְ יִֽשְׁתַּחֲוּוּ֙ אֵלַ֣יִךְ יִתְפַּלָּ֔לוּ אַ֣ךְ בָּ֥ךְ אֵ֛ל וְאֵ֥ין ע֖וֹד אֶ֥פֶס אֱלֹהִֽים
14 B Thus says Yahweh, The labour of Egypt and the wares of Cush and Seba, persons of measure to you will transfer, and yours they will be. Behind you they will walk. In chains, they will transfer.
And to you, they will prostrate themselves. To you, they will pray, Surely among you is the One, and there is none else. God has come to an end.
3d 4C 45
26
אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר
אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ
15 Notwithstanding, you are a God who hides himself,
the God of Israel, a saviour.
3e 4B 8
9
בּ֥וֹשׁוּ וְגַֽם־נִכְלְמ֖וּ כֻּלָּ֑ם
יַחְדָּו֙ הָלְכ֣וּ בַכְּלִמָּ֔ה חָרָשֵׁ֖י צִירִֽים
16 f They will be ashamed, and moreover they will be humiliated, all of them.
Together they will go into humiliation, those who keep silence when notified.
3e 4B 9
12
יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ נוֹשַׁ֣ע בַּיהוָ֔ה תְּשׁוּעַ֖ת עוֹלָמִ֑ים
לֹא־תֵבֹ֥שׁוּ וְלֹא־תִכָּלְמ֖וּ עַד־ע֥וֹלְמֵי עַֽד
17 Israel will be saved in Yahweh with an everlasting salvation.
You will not be ashamed and you will not be humiliated for ever, eras past and for ever.
3e 4B 13
11
כִּ֣י כֹ֣ה אָֽמַר־יְ֠הוָה בּוֹרֵ֨א הַשָּׁמַ֜יִם ה֣וּא הָאֱלֹהִ֗ים יֹצֵ֨ר הָאָ֤רֶץ וְעֹשָׂהּ֙ ה֣וּא כֽוֹנְנָ֔הּ לֹא־תֹ֥הוּ בְרָאָ֖הּ לָשֶׁ֣בֶת יְצָרָ֑הּ
אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה וְאֵ֥ין עֽוֹד
18 B Because thus says Yahweh who creates the heavens, God himself fashioning the land and making it. He himself will establish it. Not for disorder he created it. To settle in he fashioned it.
I am Yahweh and there is none else.
3e 4C 38
7
לֹ֧א בַסֵּ֣תֶר דִּבַּ֗רְתִּי בִּמְקוֹם֙ אֶ֣רֶץ חֹ֔שֶׁךְ לֹ֥א אָמַ֛רְתִּי לְזֶ֥רַע יַעֲקֹ֖ב תֹּ֣הוּ בַקְּשׁ֑וּנִי
אֲנִ֤י יְהוָה֙ דֹּבֵ֣ר צֶ֔דֶק מַגִּ֖יד מֵישָׁרִֽים
19 c Not in secret have I spoken in a place of the land of darkness. I said not to the seed of Jacob, Seek me in disorder.
I, Yahweh, speak righteousness, making clear what is upright.
3c 4C 28
13
הִקָּבְצ֥וּ וָבֹ֛אוּ הִֽתְנַגְּשׁ֥וּ יַחְדָּ֖ו פְּלִיטֵ֣י הַגּוֹיִ֑ם
לֹ֣א יָדְע֗וּ הַנֹּֽשְׂאִים֙ אֶת־עֵ֣ץ פִּסְלָ֔ם וּמִתְפַּלְלִ֔ים אֶל־אֵ֖ל לֹ֥א יוֹשִֽׁיעַ
20 Collect yourselves and come. Come close together, those secured from the nations.
They do not know, who lift up the wood of their graven images, or who pray to a god not able to save.
3d 4B 16
20
הַגִּ֣ידוּ וְהַגִּ֔ישׁוּ אַ֥ף יִֽוָּעֲצ֖וּ יַחְדָּ֑ו
מִ֣י הִשְׁמִיעַ֩ זֹ֨את מִקֶּ֜דֶם מֵאָ֣ז הִגִּידָ֗הּ הֲל֨וֹא אֲנִ֤י יְהוָה֙ וְאֵֽין־ע֤וֹד אֱלֹהִים֙ מִבַּלְעָדַ֔י אֵֽל־צַדִּ֣יק וּמוֹשִׁ֔יעַ אַ֖יִן זוּלָתִֽי
21 Make clear and bring close. Indeed let them counsel together.
Who has broadcast this from antiquity, ever since making it clear? Is it not I, Yahweh? And there is no further God apart from me, God the righteous one, and saviour. There is none except me.
3e 4C 14
40
פְּנוּ־אֵלַ֥י וְהִוָּשְׁע֖וּ כָּל־אַפְסֵי־אָ֑רֶץ
כִּ֥י אֲנִי־אֵ֖ל וְאֵ֥ין עֽוֹד
22 Face me and be saved, all the ends of the earth,
for I am the One, and there is none else.
3e 4A 11
7
בִּ֣י נִשְׁבַּ֔עְתִּי יָצָ֨א מִפִּ֧י צְדָקָ֛ה דָּבָ֖ר וְלֹ֣א יָשׁ֑וּב
כִּי־לִי֙ תִּכְרַ֣ע כָּל־בֶּ֔רֶךְ תִּשָּׁבַ֖ע כָּל־לָשֽׁוֹן
23 B By myself I have sworn. A word goes out from my mouth in righteousness,
and it does not return, for to me will bow down every knee, and every tongue will swear.
3c 4B 17
13
אַ֧ךְ בַּיהוָ֛ה לִ֥י אָמַ֖ר צְדָק֣וֹת וָעֹ֑ז
עָדָיו֙ יָב֣וֹא וְיֵבֹ֔שׁוּ כֹּ֖ל הַנֶּחֱרִ֥ים בּֽוֹ
24 c Surely in Yahweh, mine, he says, are righteousness and strength.
To him will come and will be ashamed, all those who burn against him.
3c 4B 11
14
בַּיהוָ֛ה יִצְדְּק֥וּ וְיִֽתְהַלְל֖וּ כָּל־זֶ֥רַע יִשְׂרָאֵֽל 25 In Yahweh, all the seed of Israel will be justified, and will boast. 3d 3g 15


No comments:

Post a Comment