Saturday 30 June 2018

Ezekiel 30

This chapter is a continuation of chapter 29. You can see that we 'restarted' Ezekiel a little over a year ago.

Day - is it darkened חשׁך? or kept back, resisted חשך? One dot different. What do you do with a day? Both readings are possible.

In a few cases of recurrence here, I have allowed the same stem to move between differing glosses. Recurrence of sound is less important in prose than in poetry and the differing nuances are useful for some stems (give, yield for נתן or encourage, resolute for חזק).

Ezekiel 30 Fn Min Max
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 1 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם הִנָּבֵא֙ וְאָ֣מַרְתָּ֔ כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
הֵילִ֖ילוּ הָ֥הּ לַיּֽוֹם
2 Child of humanity, prophesy and say, Thus says my Lord Yahweh,
Howl. Aye yai yai for the day.
3e 4B
כִּֽי־קָר֣וֹב י֔וֹם וְקָר֥וֹב י֖וֹם לַֽיהוָ֑ה
י֣וֹם עָנָ֔ן עֵ֥ת גּוֹיִ֖ם יִֽהְיֶֽה
3 For day approaches, and near is the day of Yahweh,
a day of cloud. The time of nations it will be.
3e 4B
וּבָאָ֥ה חֶ֙רֶב֙ בְּמִצְרַ֔יִם וְהָיְתָ֤ה חַלְחָלָה֙ בְּכ֔וּשׁ בִּנְפֹ֥ל חָלָ֖ל בְּמִצְרָ֑יִם
וְלָקְח֣וּ הֲמוֹנָ֔הּ וְנֶהֶרְס֖וּ יְסוֹדֹתֶֽיהָ
4 And a sword will enter into Egypt, and turmoil will be in Cush when the profane fall in Egypt,
and they will lay hold of the tumult, and her foundations will be overthrown.
3e 4C
כּ֣וּשׁ וּפ֤וּט וְלוּד֙ וְכָל־הָעֶ֣רֶב וְכ֔וּב וּבְנֵ֖י אֶ֣רֶץ הַבְּרִ֑ית
אִתָּ֖ם בַּחֶ֥רֶב יִפֹּֽלוּ
5 B Cush and Put and Lud, and all the intermingled, and Kub and the children of the land of the covenant,
with them by the sword will fall.
3e 4C
כֹּ֚ה אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֔ה וְנָֽפְלוּ֙ סֹמְכֵ֣י מִצְרַ֔יִם וְיָרַ֖ד גְּא֣וֹן עֻזָּ֑הּ
מִמִּגְדֹּ֣ל סְוֵנֵ֗ה בַּחֶ֙רֶב֙ יִפְּלוּ־בָ֔הּ נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
6 C Thus says Yahweh, And those who support Egypt will fall and the pride of her strength will descend,
from the tower of Seveneh. By the sword they will fall in her, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C
וְנָשַׁ֕מּוּ בְּת֖וֹךְ אֲרָצ֣וֹת נְשַׁמּ֑וֹת
וְעָרָ֕יו בְּתוֹךְ־עָרִ֥ים נַחֲרָב֖וֹת תִּֽהְיֶֽינָה
7 And they will be desolate in the midst of desolated lands,
and its cities will be in the midst of deserted cities.
3e 4B
וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
בְּתִתִּי־אֵ֣שׁ בְּמִצְרַ֔יִם וְנִשְׁבְּר֖וּ כָּל־עֹזְרֶֽיהָ
8 And they will know that I am Yahweh,
when I permit fire in Egypt, and all helping her will be broken.
3e 4B
בַּיּ֣וֹם הַה֗וּא יֵצְא֨וּ מַלְאָכִ֤ים מִלְּפָנַי֙ בַּצִּ֔ים לְהַחֲרִ֖יד אֶת־כּ֣וּשׁ בֶּ֑טַח
וְהָיְתָ֨ה חַלְחָלָ֤ה בָהֶם֙ בְּי֣וֹם מִצְרַ֔יִם כִּ֥י הִנֵּ֖ה בָּאָֽה
9 In that day messengers will go forth from my presence in galleys to make trusting Cush apprehensive,
and turmoil will be among them in the day of Egypt, for behold, it is coming.
3e 4C
כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
וְהִשְׁבַּתִּי֙ אֶת־הֲמ֣וֹן מִצְרַ֔יִם בְּיַ֖ד נְבוּכַדְרֶאצַּ֥ר מֶלֶךְ־בָּבֶֽל
10 f Thus says my Lord Yahweh,
And I will eradicate the tumult of Egypt by the hand of Nebukadretsar, king of Babel.
3e 4B
ה֠וּא וְעַמּ֤וֹ אִתּוֹ֙ עָרִיצֵ֣י גוֹיִ֔ם מֽוּבָאִ֖ים לְשַׁחֵ֣ת הָאָ֑רֶץ
וְהֵרִ֤יקוּ חַרְבוֹתָם֙ עַל־מִצְרַ֔יִם וּמָלְא֥וּ אֶת־הָאָ֖רֶץ חָלָֽל
11 ~ He and his people with him, the ruthless of nations will be brought in to destroy the land.
And they will bare their swords over Egypt and fill the land with the profaned.
3e 4C
וְנָתַתִּ֤י יְאֹרִים֙ חָֽרָבָ֔ה וּמָכַרְתִּ֥י אֶת־הָאָ֖רֶץ בְּיַד־רָעִ֑ים
וַהֲשִׁמֹּתִ֞י אֶ֤רֶץ וּמְלֹאָהּ֙ בְּיַד־זָרִ֔ים אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה דִּבַּֽרְתִּי
12 And I will give the Nile to desert, and I will sell the land into the hand of evil,
and I will desolate earth and her fullness by the hand of strangers. I am Yahweh. I have spoken.
3e 4C
כֹּֽה־אָמַ֞ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה וְהַאֲבַדְתִּ֨י גִלּוּלִ֜ים וְהִשְׁבַּתִּ֤י אֱלִילִים֙ מִנֹּ֔ף וְנָשִׂ֥יא מֵאֶֽרֶץ־מִצְרַ֖יִם לֹ֣א יִֽהְיֶה־ע֑וֹד
וְנָתַתִּ֥י יִרְאָ֖ה בְּאֶ֥רֶץ מִצְרָֽיִם
13 Thus says my Lord Yahweh, And I will eliminate figurines, and I will eradicate, good for nothings from Noph, and principals from the land of Egypt will be no more.
And I will give fear in the land of Egypt.
3e 4C
וַהֲשִׁמֹּתִי֙ אֶת־פַּתְר֔וֹס וְנָתַ֥תִּי אֵ֖שׁ בְּצֹ֑עַן
וְעָשִׂ֥יתִי שְׁפָטִ֖ים בְּנֹֽא
14 And I will desolate Patros, and I will give fire in Zoan,
and I will do judgments in No.
3e 4A
וְשָׁפַכְתִּ֣י חֲמָתִ֔י עַל־סִ֖ין מָע֣וֹז מִצְרָ֑יִם
וְהִכְרַתִּ֖י אֶת־הֲמ֥וֹן נֹֽא
15 And I pour out my heat over Sin, the strength of Egypt,
and I will cut off the tumult of No.
3e 4B
וְנָתַ֤תִּי אֵשׁ֙ בְּמִצְרַ֔יִם ח֤וּל תָּחוּל֙ סִ֔ין וְנֹ֖א תִּהְיֶ֣ה לְהִבָּקֵ֑עַ
וְנֹ֖ף צָרֵ֥י יוֹמָֽם
16 And I will give fire in Egypt, writhing turmoil in Sin, and No will be split in two.
And Noph will be troubled daily.
3e 4C
בַּח֥וּרֵי אָ֛וֶן וּפִי־בֶ֖סֶת בַּחֶ֣רֶב יִפֹּ֑לוּ
וְהֵ֖נָּה בַּשְּׁבִ֥י תֵלַֽכְנָה
17 The chosen of Aven and Pibeseth, by the sword will fall,
and these into captivity will go.
3d 4B
וּבִֽתְחַפְנְחֵס֙ חָשַׂ֣ךְ הַיּ֔וֹם בְּשִׁבְרִי־שָׁם֙ אֶת־מֹט֣וֹת מִצְרַ֔יִם וְנִשְׁבַּת־בָּ֖הּ גְּא֣וֹן עֻזָּ֑הּ
הִ֚יא עָנָ֣ן יְכַסֶּ֔נָּה וּבְנוֹתֶ֖יהָ בַּשְּׁבִ֥י תֵלַֽכְנָה
18 And in Taxpanxes, day will be kept back when I break there the rods of Egypt, and the pride of her strength will cease in her.
Cloud will cover her and her daughters into captivity will go.
3e 4C
וְעָשִׂ֥יתִי שְׁפָטִ֖ים בְּמִצְרָ֑יִם
וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
19 And I will do judgments in Egypt,
and they will know that I am Yahweh.
3e 4A
וַיְהִ֗י בְּאַחַ֤ת עֶשְׂרֵה֙ שָׁנָ֔ה בָּֽרִאשׁ֖וֹן בְּשִׁבְעָ֣ה לַחֹ֑דֶשׁ
הָיָ֥ה דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר
20 And it was in the eleventh year, the seventh of the first month,
it happened that Yahweh spoke to me, saying,
3e 4C
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם אֶת־זְר֛וֹעַ פַּרְעֹ֥ה מֶֽלֶךְ־מִצְרַ֖יִם שָׁבָ֑רְתִּי
וְהִנֵּ֣ה לֹֽא־חֻ֠בְּשָׁה לָתֵ֨ת רְפֻא֜וֹת לָשׂ֥וּם חִתּ֛וּל לְחָבְשָׁ֥הּ לְחָזְקָ֖הּ לִתְפֹּ֥שׂ בֶּחָֽרֶב
21 Child of humanity, the arm of Pharaoh the king of Egypt I have broken.
And behold it will not be bandaged to give healing, to set in swaddling to bind it, to make it resolute to take up the sword.
3d 4B
לָכֵ֞ן כֹּה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהֹוִ֗ה הִנְנִי֙ אֶל־פַּרְעֹ֣ה מֶֽלֶךְ־מִצְרַ֔יִם וְשָֽׁבַרְתִּי֙ אֶת־זְרֹ֣עֹתָ֔יו אֶת־הַחֲזָקָ֖ה וְאֶת־הַנִּשְׁבָּ֑רֶת
וְהִפַּלְתִּ֥י אֶת־הַחֶ֖רֶב מִיָּדֽוֹ
22 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold me, Pharaoh the king of Egypt, and I will break his arms, the resolute, and the one who is broken.
And I will make the sword fall from his hand.
3e 4B
וַהֲפִצוֹתִ֥י אֶת־מִצְרַ֖יִם בַּגּוֹיִ֑ם
וְזֵרִיתִ֖ם בָּאֲרָצֽוֹת
23 And I will disperse Egypt among the nations,
and I will sift them among the lands.
3e 4A
וְחִזַּקְתִּ֗י אֶת־זְרֹעוֹת֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ בָּבֶ֔ל וְנָתַתִּ֥י אֶת־חַרְבִּ֖י בְּיָד֑וֹ
וְשָׁבַרְתִּי֙ אֶת־זְרֹע֣וֹת פַּרְעֹ֔ה וְנָאַ֛ק נַאֲק֥וֹת חָלָ֖ל לְפָנָֽיו
24 And I will make the arms of the king of Babel resolute, and I will give my sword into his hand,
and I will break the arms of Pharaoh, and he will groan the groaning of the profaned before it.
3d 4B
וְהַחֲזַקְתִּ֗י אֶת־זְרֹעוֹת֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ בָּבֶ֔ל וּזְרֹע֥וֹת פַּרְעֹ֖ה תִּפֹּ֑לְנָה
וְֽיָדְע֞וּ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֗ה בְּתִתִּ֤י חַרְבִּי֙ בְּיַ֣ד מֶֽלֶךְ־בָּבֶ֔ל וְנָטָ֥ה אוֹתָ֖הּ אֶל־אֶ֥רֶץ מִצְרָֽיִם
25 But I will encourage the arm of the king of Babel, and the arms of Pharaoh will fall.
And they will know that I am Yahweh when I yield my sword into the hand of the king of Babel, and he will stretch out it to the land of Egypt.
3e 4C
וַהֲפִצוֹתִ֤י אֶת־מִצְרַ֙יִם֙ בַּגּוֹיִ֔ם וְזֵרִיתִ֥י אוֹתָ֖ם בָּאֲרָצ֑וֹת
וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
26 And I will disperse Egypt among the nations, and I will sift even them among the lands,
and they will know that I am Yahweh.
3e 4C
How subtle even the object marker is. This little word often identifies the direct object of a verb and is usually not translated. Here I have translated it as even in verse 26 because the words in verse 23 are not quite identical.

Often the particle occurs with a pronoun or conjunction. This is the sum total to date (at about 85% complete) of the renderings for words that are based around את the word formed from the first and last letters of the Hebrew alephbet in reverse order of frequency. The stem is mostly c 95% a particle. It is also a preposition mostly with but not always, and rarely a real word - plowshare.

untranslated (6,737) and (2,016) them (383) you (351) with (250) him (240) it (214) from (124) with you (124) with him (100) me (94) her (43) with me (42) to (36) with them (36) us (26) for (24) even (21) with us (20) but (19) nor (16) and with (14) and you (13) to them (13) but you (11) from me (11) from them (10) with it (10) and me (9) from him (9) from you (8) in (8) and him (7) they (7) and from (6) of (6) or (6) with her (6) at (5) its (5) on (5) their (5) such (4) through (4) all (3) and with him (3) by (3) concerning (3) plowshare (3) so (3) then you (3) to him (3) to you (3) against (2) and it (2) and them (2) for them (2) for you (2) he (2) include (2) that thing (2) themself (2) to me (2) yourself (2) about (1) along with (1) and as for (1) and for (1) and themself (1) and through (1) and to you (1) and us (1) and with you (1) as (1) away from me (1) both (1) but them (1) but with (1) but yourself (1) by them (1) by themself (1) concerning you (1) even them (1) for him (1) for it (1) for us (1) for yourself (1) from it (1) from yourself (1) his (1) in them (1) of him (1) of you (1) on you (1) ours (1) so it (1) so you (1) then (1) these (1) though yourself (1) through him (1) toward (1) we (1) what (1) your (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment