Tuesday 31 July 2018

Ezekiel 34

More on that root from yesterday רעה. Verse 2 is full of this stem, everyone glossed with shepherd. I didn't need to, graze, tend, and other non-overlapping glosses would sometimes fit. This is my overall usage so far: associate (125) shepherd (103) friend (82) pasture (40) tend (23) graze (20) pastor (4) shepherds' (2) befriend (1) resolution (1 Aramaic)

The stem is pervasive in this chapter, occurring 36 times.

Curious that the stem for veil, even as used in the dwelling-place of God is the same stem as harsh or cruelty.

At the moment, I see בקר as a remarkable addition to the idea of seeking. Rather than a lame repetition search out. בקר is oxen or herd and in this context reflection or morning. (verses 11-12)

Compare Psalms 97, 23.
Ezekiel 34 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 1 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם הִנָּבֵ֖א עַל־רוֹעֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
הִנָּבֵ֣א וְאָמַרְתָּ֩ אֲלֵיהֶ֨ם לָרֹעִ֜ים כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה ה֤וֹי רֹעֵֽי־יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ אֲשֶׁ֤ר הָיוּ֙ רֹעִ֣ים אוֹתָ֔ם הֲל֣וֹא הַצֹּ֔אן יִרְע֖וּ הָרֹעִֽים
2 Child of humanity, prophesy over the shepherds of Israel.
Prophesy, and you say to them, to the shepherds, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Alas, shepherds of Israel that are shepherding themselves. Should not the shepherds shepherd the flock?
3e 4C 12
45
אֶת־הַחֵ֤לֶב תֹּאכֵ֙לוּ֙ וְאֶת־הַצֶּ֣מֶר תִּלְבָּ֔שׁוּ הַבְּרִיאָ֖ה תִּזְבָּ֑חוּ
הַצֹּ֖אן לֹ֥א תִרְעֽוּ
3 The gross fat you eat, and with the wool, you clothe yourself. The plenteous you sacrifice.
The flock you do not shepherd.
3e 4C 21
5
אֶֽת־הַנַּחְלוֹת֩ לֹ֨א חִזַּקְתֶּ֜ם וְאֶת־הַחוֹלָ֣ה לֹֽא־רִפֵּאתֶ֗ם וְלַנִּשְׁבֶּ֙רֶת֙ לֹ֣א חֲבַשְׁתֶּ֔ם וְאֶת־הַנִּדַּ֙חַת֙ לֹ֣א הֲשֵׁבֹתֶ֔ם וְאֶת־הָאֹבֶ֖דֶת לֹ֣א בִקַּשְׁתֶּ֑ם
וּבְחָזְקָ֛ה רְדִיתֶ֥ם אֹתָ֖ם וּבְפָֽרֶךְ
4 The sick you have not encouraged, and the ill you have not healed, and the broken you have not bandaged, and the banished, you have not returned, and the lost you have not sought,
but resolute, you yourselves have ruled, and with cruelty.
3d 4B 46
11
וַתְּפוּצֶ֖ינָה מִבְּלִ֣י רֹעֶ֑ה
וַתִּהְיֶ֧ינָה לְאָכְלָ֛ה לְכָל־חַיַּ֥ת הַשָּׂדֶ֖ה וַתְּפוּצֶֽינָה
5 And they were dispersed without a shepherd.
And they became as food for all the animals of the field when they were dispersed.
3c 4B 8
18
יִשְׁגּ֤וּ צֹאנִי֙ בְּכָל־הֶ֣הָרִ֔ים וְעַ֖ל כָּל־גִּבְעָ֣ה רָמָ֑ה
וְעַ֨ל כָּל־פְּנֵ֤י הָאָ֙רֶץ֙ נָפֹ֣צוּ צֹאנִ֔י וְאֵ֥ין דּוֹרֵ֖שׁ וְאֵ֥ין מְבַקֵּֽשׁ
6 My flock strays in all the hills, and on every high hillock.
And over all the surface of the land, my flock is dispersed, and no one searches and no one seeks.
3e 4C 16
22
לָכֵ֣ן רֹעִ֔ים שִׁמְע֖וּ אֶת־דְּבַ֥ר יְהוָֽה 7 Therefore shepherds, hear the word of Yahweh. 3e 4B 11
חַי־אָ֜נִי נְאֻ֣ם ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה אִם־לֹ֣א יַ֣עַן הֱיֽוֹת־צֹאנִ֣י ׀ לָבַ֡ז וַתִּֽהְיֶינָה֩ צֹאנִ֨י לְאָכְלָ֜ה לְכָל־חַיַּ֤ת הַשָּׂדֶה֙ מֵאֵ֣ין רֹעֶ֔ה וְלֹֽא־דָרְשׁ֥וּ רֹעַ֖י אֶת־צֹאנִ֑י
וַיִּרְע֤וּ הָֽרֹעִים֙ אוֹתָ֔ם וְאֶת־צֹאנִ֖י לֹ֥א רָעֽוּ
8 Living I, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh. Without fail, because my flock has been despoiled, and my flock has become food for all the animals of the field, without shepherd,
and my shepherds do not search out my flock but the shepherds shepherd themselves and my flock they do not shepherd,
3e 4C 48
15
לָכֵן֙ הָֽרֹעִ֔ים שִׁמְע֖וּ דְּבַר־יְהוָֽה 9 Therefore, O shepherds, hear the word of Yahweh. 3e 3g 11
כֹּה־אָמַ֞ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנְנִ֨י אֶֽל־הָרֹעִ֜ים וְֽדָרַשְׁתִּ֧י אֶת־צֹאנִ֣י מִיָּדָ֗ם וְהִשְׁבַּתִּים֙ מֵרְע֣וֹת צֹ֔אן וְלֹא־יִרְע֥וּ ע֛וֹד הָרֹעִ֖ים אוֹתָ֑ם
וְהִצַּלְתִּ֤י צֹאנִי֙ מִפִּיהֶ֔ם וְלֹֽא־תִהְיֶ֥יןָ לָהֶ֖ם לְאָכְלָֽה
10 Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold me against the shepherds. And I will search out my flock from their hand, and I will have them cease from shepherding my flock, and the shepherds will no more shepherd themselves.
And I will deliver my flock from their mouth, and they will not be their food.
3c 4C 41
19
כִּ֛י כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
הִנְנִי־אָ֕נִי וְדָרַשְׁתִּ֥י אֶת־צֹאנִ֖י וּבִקַּרְתִּֽים
11 d For thus says my Lord Yahweh,
Behold me, myself, and I will search out my flock, and I will reflect them.
3d 4B 9
14
כְּבַקָּרַת֩ רֹעֶ֨ה עֶדְר֜וֹ בְּיוֹם־הֱיוֹת֤וֹ בְתוֹךְ־צֹאנוֹ֙ נִפְרָשׁ֔וֹת כֵּ֖ן אֲבַקֵּ֣ר אֶת־צֹאנִ֑י
וְהִצַּלְתִּ֣י אֶתְהֶ֗ם מִכָּל־הַמְּקוֹמֹת֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר נָפֹ֣צוּ שָׁ֔ם בְּי֥וֹם עָנָ֖ן וַעֲרָפֶֽל
12 As a shepherd reflects his troop on the day he is in the midst of his distinct flock, so I will reflect my flock.
And I will deliver them from all the places where they were dispersed on a day of cloud and dark turbulence.
3e 4C 27
25
וְהוֹצֵאתִ֣ים מִן־הָעַמִּ֗ים וְקִבַּצְתִּים֙ מִן־הָ֣אֲרָצ֔וֹת וַהֲבִיאֹתִ֖ים אֶל־אַדְמָתָ֑ם
וּרְעִיתִים֙ אֶל־הָרֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל בָּאֲפִיקִ֕ים וּבְכֹ֖ל מוֹשְׁבֵ֥י הָאָֽרֶץ
13 And I will bring them out from the peoples, and I will collect them from the lands, and I will bring them to their ground.
And I will shepherd them on the mountains of Israel by river channels, and in all the settlements of the land.
3e 4B 26
20
בְּמִרְעֶה־טּוֹב֙ אֶרְעֶ֣ה אֹתָ֔ם וּבְהָרֵ֥י מְרֽוֹם־יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל יִהְיֶ֣ה נְוֵהֶ֑ם
שָׁ֤ם תִּרְבַּ֙צְנָה֙ בְּנָ֣וֶה טּ֔וֹב וּמִרְעֶ֥ה שָׁמֵ֛ן תִּרְעֶ֖ינָה אֶל־הָרֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
14 In good pasture I will shepherd them. On the mountains of the high ground of Israel will be their home.
There they will recline in a good home and a stout pasture, they will graze on the mountains of Israel.
3d 4C 21
22
אֲנִ֨י אֶרְעֶ֤ה צֹאנִי֙ וַאֲנִ֣י אַרְבִּיצֵ֔ם נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה 15 I myself will shepherd my flock, and I myself will have them recline, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh. 3e 4C 19
אֶת־הָאֹבֶ֤דֶת אֲבַקֵּשׁ֙ וְאֶת־הַנִּדַּ֣חַת אָשִׁ֔יב וְלַנִּשְׁבֶּ֣רֶת אֶחֱבֹ֔שׁ וְאֶת־הַחוֹלָ֖ה אֲחַזֵּ֑ק
וְאֶת־הַשְּׁמֵנָ֧ה וְאֶת־הַחֲזָקָ֛ה אַשְׁמִ֖יד אֶרְעֶ֥נָּה בְמִשְׁפָּֽט
16 The lost I will seek, and the banished I will bring back, and the broken I will bandage, and the ill, I will make resolute.
And the stout and the resolute I will exterminate. I will shepherd such in the judgment.
3c 4C 32
19
וְאַתֵּ֣נָה צֹאנִ֔י כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
הִנְנִ֤י שֹׁפֵט֙ בֵּֽין־שֶׂ֣ה לָשֶׂ֔ה לָאֵילִ֖ים וְלָעַתּוּדִֽים
17 And you, my flock, thus says my Lord Yahweh,
Behold me, judging between lamb and lamb, and rams, and goats.
3e 4C 14
16
הַמְעַ֣ט מִכֶּ֗ם הַמִּרְעֶ֤ה הַטּוֹב֙ תִּרְע֔וּ וְיֶ֙תֶר֙ מִרְעֵיכֶ֔ם תִּרְמְס֖וּ בְּרַגְלֵיכֶ֑ם
וּמִשְׁקַע־מַ֣יִם תִּשְׁתּ֔וּ וְאֵת֙ הַנּ֣וֹתָרִ֔ים בְּרַגְלֵיכֶ֖ם תִּרְפֹּשֽׂוּן
18 Is it insignificant to you that the good pasture you have grazed, and the remainder of your pasture you have trampled with your feet,
and the plunging waters you have imbibed, and those that remain, with your feet you have made turbid?
3e 4C 24
19
וְצֹאנִ֑י
מִרְמַ֤ס רַגְלֵיכֶם֙ תִּרְעֶ֔ינָה וּמִרְפַּ֥שׂ רַגְלֵיכֶ֖ם תִּשְׁתֶּֽינָה
19 And my flock?
What is trampled by your feet they graze, and what is made turbid by your feet they imbibe.
3e 4C 3
17
לָכֵ֗ן כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֛ר אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִ֖ה אֲלֵיהֶ֑ם
הִנְנִי־אָ֕נִי וְשָֽׁפַטְתִּי֙ בֵּֽין־שֶׂ֣ה בִרְיָ֔ה וּבֵ֥ין שֶׂ֖ה רָזָֽה
20 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh to them,
Behold me, for I myself judge between a lamb who has had a meal, and a lamb who is emaciated.
3d 4B 13
16
יַ֗עַן בְּצַ֤ד וּבְכָתֵף֙ תֶּהְדֹּ֔פוּ וּבְקַרְנֵיכֶ֥ם תְּנַגְּח֖וּ כָּל־הַנַּחְל֑וֹת
עַ֣ד אֲשֶׁ֧ר הֲפִיצוֹתֶ֛ם אוֹתָ֖נָה אֶל־הַחֽוּצָה
21 ~ Because with side and with shoulder, you have driven out, and with your horns you have gored all the ill,
until you have dispersed them to the street.
3c 4C 21
14
וְהוֹשַׁעְתִּ֣י לְצֹאנִ֔י וְלֹֽא־תִהְיֶ֥ינָה ע֖וֹד לָבַ֑ז
וְשָׁ֣פַטְתִּ֔י בֵּ֥ין שֶׂ֖ה לָשֶֽׂה
22 And I will save my flock, and no more will they be despoiled,
and I will judge between lamb and lamb.
3e 4B 15
8
וַהֲקִמֹתִ֨י עֲלֵיהֶ֜ם רֹעֶ֤ה אֶחָד֙ וְרָעָ֣ה אֶתְהֶ֔ן אֵ֖ת עַבְדִּ֣י דָוִ֑יד
ה֚וּא יִרְעֶ֣ה אֹתָ֔ם וְהֽוּא־יִהְיֶ֥ה לָהֶ֖ן לְרֹעֶֽה
23 But I will raise over them one shepherd and he will shepherd them, my servant David,
He himself will shepherd them, and he himself will be their pasture.
3e 4C 22
14
וַאֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֗ה אֶהְיֶ֤ה לָהֶם֙ לֵֽאלֹהִ֔ים וְעַבְדִּ֥י דָוִ֖ד נָשִׂ֣יא בְתוֹכָ֑ם
אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה דִּבַּֽרְתִּי
24 And I Yahweh, I will be their God, and my servant David principal among them.
I am Yahweh. I have spoken.
3e 4C 22
7
וְכָרַתִּ֤י לָהֶם֙ בְּרִ֣ית שָׁל֔וֹם וְהִשְׁבַּתִּ֥י חַיָּֽה־רָעָ֖ה מִן־הָאָ֑רֶץ
וְיָשְׁב֤וּ בַמִּדְבָּר֙ לָבֶ֔טַח וְיָשְׁנ֖וּ בַּיְּעָרִֽים
25 And I will cut for them a covenant of peace, and I will eradicate hurtful life from the land.
And they will settle in the wilderness in trust, and sleep in the forest.
3e 4C 22
15
וְנָתַתִּ֥י אוֹתָ֛ם וּסְבִיב֥וֹת גִּבְעָתִ֖י בְּרָכָ֑ה
וְהוֹרַדְתִּ֤י הַגֶּ֙שֶׁם֙ בְּעִתּ֔וֹ גִּשְׁמֵ֥י בְרָכָ֖ה יִֽהְיֽוּ
26 And I will put them forth and the places around my hillock as a blessing,
that will make the heavy rain come down in its time. Showers of blessing, they will be.
3d 4C 15
17
וְנָתַן֩ עֵ֨ץ הַשָּׂדֶ֜ה אֶת־פִּרְי֗וֹ וְהָאָ֙רֶץ֙ תִּתֵּ֣ן יְבוּלָ֔הּ וְהָי֥וּ עַל־אַדְמָתָ֖ם לָבֶ֑טַח
וְֽיָדְע֞וּ כִּי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֗ה בְּשִׁבְרִי֙ אֶת־מֹט֣וֹת עֻלָּ֔ם וְהִ֨צַּלְתִּ֔ים מִיַּ֖ד הָעֹבְדִ֥ים בָּהֶֽם
27 And the trees of the field will yield their fruit and the land will give her produce, and they will be over their ground in trust.
And they will know that I am Yahweh when I break the rods of their shackles, and deliver them from the hands of the servitude among them.
3e 4B 29
26
וְלֹא־יִהְי֨וּ ע֥וֹד בַּז֙ לַגּוֹיִ֔ם וְחַיַּ֥ת הָאָ֖רֶץ לֹ֣א תֹאכְלֵ֑ם
וְיָשְׁב֥וּ לָבֶ֖טַח וְאֵ֥ין מַחֲרִֽיד
28 And no more will they be despoiled of the nations, and the animal of the land will not devour them.
And they will settle confidently, and none will be apprehensive.
3e 4B 18
11
וַהֲקִמֹתִ֥י לָהֶ֛ם מַטָּ֖ע לְשֵׁ֑ם
וְלֹֽא־יִהְי֨וּ ע֜וֹד אֲסֻפֵ֤י רָעָב֙ בָּאָ֔רֶץ וְלֹֽא־יִשְׂא֥וּ ע֖וֹד כְּלִמַּ֥ת הַגּוֹיִֽם
29 And I will raise up for them a plant of repute.
And no more will they be wracked with famine in the land, and no more will they bear the humiliation of the nations.
3d 4C 11
24
וְיָדְע֗וּ כִּ֣י אֲנִ֧י יְהוָ֛ה אֱלֹהֵיהֶ֖ם אִתָּ֑ם
וְהֵ֗מָּה עַמִּי֙ בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
30 And they will know that I am Yahweh their God with them,
and they, my people, the house of Israel. An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3c 4B 14
16
וְאַתֵּ֥ן צֹאנִ֛י צֹ֥אן מַרְעִיתִ֖י אָדָ֣ם אַתֶּ֑ם
אֲנִי֙ אֱלֹ֣הֵיכֶ֔ם נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
31 And you are my flock, the sheep of my pasture, humanity, you are.
I am your God. An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3d 4B 13
13


No comments:

Post a Comment