Saturday 21 July 2018

Jeremiah 15

Here in verse 1 is yet another curious use of נפשׁ. Is the Bible popular only out of self-interest? Surely we can find a more mature motivation.

Verse 6 has an unusual doubling of the object marker.

Who is speaking in verse 15? The prophet? The prophet on behalf of the chosen? This anticipates the reality of incarnation. To whom is Yahweh speaking in verse 19?

Verse7 KJV's fan with a fan is a play on words mimicking the Hebrew.

Jeremiah 15 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר יְהוָה֙ אֵלַ֔י אִם־יַעֲמֹ֨ד מֹשֶׁ֤ה וּשְׁמוּאֵל֙ לְפָנַ֔י אֵ֥ין נַפְשִׁ֖י אֶל־הָעָ֣ם הַזֶּ֑ה
שַׁלַּ֥ח מֵֽעַל־פָּנַ֖י וְיֵצֵֽאוּ
1 And Yahweh said to me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, I would have no integrity to this people.
Send from before me, and let them go forth.
3e 4C 27
10
וְהָיָ֛ה כִּֽי־יֹאמְר֥וּ אֵלֶ֖יךָ אָ֣נָה נֵצֵ֑א
וְאָמַרְתָּ֨ אֲלֵיהֶ֜ם כֹּֽה־אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֗ה אֲשֶׁ֨ר לַמָּ֤וֶת לַמָּ֙וֶת֙ וַאֲשֶׁ֤ר לַחֶ֙רֶב֙ לַחֶ֔רֶב וַאֲשֶׁ֤ר לָֽרָעָב֙ לָֽרָעָ֔ב וַאֲשֶׁ֥ר לַשְּׁבִ֖י לַשֶּֽׁבִי
2 And it will be that when they say to you, How, please, will we go forth?
And you say to them, Thus says Yahweh, Whoever is for death, to death, and whoever is for the sword, to the sword, and whoever is for famine, to famine, and whoever is for captivity, to captivity.
3d 4C 13
46
וּפָקַדְתִּ֨י עֲלֵיהֶ֜ם אַרְבַּ֤ע מִשְׁפָּחוֹת֙ נְאֻם־יְהוָ֔ה אֶת־הַחֶ֣רֶב לַֽהֲרֹ֔ג וְאֶת־הַכְּלָבִ֖ים לִסְחֹ֑ב
וְאֶת־ע֧וֹף הַשָּׁמַ֛יִם וְאֶת־בֶּהֱמַ֥ת הָאָ֖רֶץ לֶאֱכֹ֥ל וּלְהַשְׁחִֽית
3 Then I will visit upon them four families, an oracle of Yahweh, the sword to slay, and the dogs to shred,
and the fowl of the heavens and the beasts of the earth to eat and to destroy.
3c 4C 30
20
וּנְתַתִּ֣ים לְזַֽעֲוָ֔ה לְכֹ֖ל מַמְלְכ֣וֹת הָאָ֑רֶץ
בִּ֠גְלַל מְנַשֶּׁ֤ה בֶן־יְחִזְקִיָּ֙הוּ֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ יְהוּדָ֔ה עַ֥ל אֲשֶׁר־עָשָׂ֖ה בִּירוּשָׁלִָֽם
4 And I will consign them to be unnerved for all the kingdoms of the earth,
by the rubble of Manasseh, child of Hezekiah, king of Judah, against what he has undertaken in Jerusalem.
3e 4C 15
25
כִּ֠י מִֽי־יַחְמֹ֤ל עָלַ֙יִךְ֙ יְר֣וּשָׁלִַ֔ם וּמִ֖י יָנ֣וּד לָ֑ךְ
וּמִ֣י יָס֔וּר לִשְׁאֹ֥ל לְשָׁלֹ֖ם לָֽךְ
5 ~ For who will have pity on you, Jerusalem? And who will condole you?
And who will turn aside to wish you peace?
3e 4C 16
10
אַ֣תְּ נָטַ֥שְׁתְּ אֹתִ֛י נְאֻם־יְהוָ֖ה אָח֣וֹר תֵּלֵ֑כִי
וָאַ֨ט אֶת־יָדִ֤י עָלַ֙יִךְ֙ וָֽאַשְׁחִיתֵ֔ךְ נִלְאֵ֖יתִי הִנָּחֵֽם
6 B You have abandoned me, an oracle of Yahweh. Back you go.
And I will stretch out my hand against you, and I will destroy you, exasperated with sighing.
3d 4C 15
18
וָאֶזְרֵ֥ם בְּמִזְרֶ֖ה בְּשַׁעֲרֵ֣י הָאָ֑רֶץ
שִׁכַּ֤לְתִּי אִבַּ֙דְתִּי֙ אֶת־עַמִּ֔י מִדַּרְכֵיהֶ֖ם לוֹא־שָֽׁבוּ
7 And I will fan them with a fan in the gates of the land.
I will bereave. I will eliminate my people. From their ways they do not turn.
3e 4C 13
16
עָֽצְמוּ־לִ֤י אַלְמְנֹתָו֙ מֵח֣וֹל יַמִּ֔ים הֵבֵ֨אתִי לָהֶ֥ם עַל־אֵ֛ם בָּח֖וּר שֹׁדֵ֣ד בַּֽצָּהֳרָ֑יִם
הִפַּ֤לְתִּי עָלֶ֙יהָ֙ פִּתְאֹ֔ם עִ֖יר וּבֶהָלֽוֹת
8 More numerous for me are their widows than the sand of the seas. I have brought to them, against the mother of the chosen, devastation at noon.
I have made a city and vexation fall upon her suddenly.
3d 4C 27
13
אֻמְלְלָ֞ה יֹלֶ֣דֶת הַשִּׁבְעָ֗ה נָפְחָ֥ה נַפְשָׁ֛הּ בָּ֥א שִׁמְשָׁ֛הּ בְּעֹ֥ד יוֹמָ֖ם בּ֣וֹשָׁה וְחָפֵ֑רָה
וּשְׁאֵֽרִיתָ֗ם לַחֶ֧רֶב אֶתֵּ֛ן לִפְנֵ֥י אֹיְבֵיהֶ֖ם נְאֻם־יְהוָֽה
9 Enfeebled is she who has given birth to seven. Her throat exhales. Her sun sets while it is day. She is shamed and confounded.
And their physical power I will give to the sword in the face of their enemies, an oracle of Yahweh.
3c 4B 26
18
אֽוֹי־לִ֣י אִמִּ֔י כִּ֣י יְלִדְתִּ֗נִי אִ֥ישׁ רִ֛יב וְאִ֥ישׁ מָד֖וֹן לְכָל־הָאָ֑רֶץ
לֹֽא־נָשִׁ֥יתִי וְלֹא־נָֽשׁוּ־בִ֖י כֻּלֹּ֥ה מְקַלְלַֽונִי
10 Woe for me, my mother, for you have given birth to me, a man of strife, and a man sentenced for all the earth.
I have not been usurious, nor is there contracted debt against me. Everyone slights me.
3d 4B 21
13
אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֔ה אִם־לֹ֥א שֵֽׁרִיתִ֖יךָ לְט֑וֹב
אִם־ל֣וֹא ׀ הִפְגַּ֣עְתִּֽי בְךָ֗ בְּעֵ֥ת־רָעָ֛ה וּבְעֵ֥ת צָרָ֖ה אֶת־הָאֹיֵֽב
11 Yahweh said, As if I would not loosen you for good.
As if I would not intervene in you in a time of evil and in a time of anguish with the enemy.
3d 4B 12
19
הֲיָרֹ֨עַ בַּרְזֶ֧ל ׀ בַּרְזֶ֛ל מִצָּפ֖וֹן וּנְחֹֽשֶׁת 12 Will iron injure iron from the north, or brass? 3c 3g 14
חֵילְךָ֧ וְאוֹצְרוֹתֶ֛יךָ לָבַ֥ז אֶתֵּ֖ן לֹ֣א בִמְחִ֑יר
וּבְכָל־חַטֹּאותֶ֖יךָ וּבְכָל־גְּבוּלֶֽיךָ
13 Your wealth and your treasury I will give to be looted without price,
and in all your sins and in all your borders.
3c 4B 14
12
וְהַֽעֲבַרְתִּי֙ אֶת־אֹ֣יְבֶ֔יךָ בְּאֶ֖רֶץ לֹ֣א יָדָ֑עְתָּ
כִּֽי־אֵ֛שׁ קָדְחָ֥ה בְאַפִּ֖י עֲלֵיכֶ֥ם תּוּקָֽד
14 And I will pass through with your enemies in a land you not did know,
because fire is incandescent in my anger against you, burning.
3d 4B 16
12
אַתָּ֧ה יָדַ֣עְתָּ יְהוָ֗ה זָכְרֵ֤נִי וּפָקְדֵ֙נִי֙ וְהִנָּ֤קֶם לִי֙ מֵרֹ֣דְפַ֔י אַל־לְאֶ֥רֶךְ אַפְּךָ֖ תִּקָּחֵ֑נִי
דַּ֕ע שְׂאֵתִ֥י עָלֶ֖יךָ חֶרְפָּֽה
15 Yourself, you know, Yahweh. Remember me, and visit me, and avenge me from my persecutors. In the prolonging of your anger, do not take me away.
Know that I bear reproach over you.
3c 4C 32
9
נִמְצְא֤וּ דְבָרֶ֙יךָ֙ וָאֹ֣כְלֵ֔ם וַיְהִ֤י דְבָֽרְךָ֙ לִ֔י לְשָׂשׂ֖וֹן וּלְשִׂמְחַ֣ת לְבָבִ֑י
כִּֽי־נִקְרָ֤א שִׁמְךָ֙ עָלַ֔י יְהוָ֖ה אֱלֹהֵ֥י צְבָאֽוֹת
16 Your words were found, and I ate them, and your word for me was to the joy and gladness of my heart,
for your name is called over me, Yahweh God of hosts.
3e 4C 25
15
לֹֽא־יָשַׁ֥בְתִּי בְסוֹד־מְשַׂחֲקִ֖ים וָֽאֶעְלֹ֑ז
מִפְּנֵ֤י יָֽדְךָ֙ בָּדָ֣ד יָשַׁ֔בְתִּי כִּֽי־זַ֖עַם מִלֵּאתָֽנִי
17 I have not sat in the council of laughter, nor exulted.
Facing your hand, isolated, I sat, for you have filled me with indignation.
3e 4C 12
15
לָ֣מָּה הָיָ֤ה כְאֵבִי֙ נֶ֔צַח וּמַכָּתִ֖י אֲנוּשָׁ֑ה֙
מֵֽאֲנָה֙ הֵֽרָפֵ֔א הָי֨וֹ תִֽהְיֶ֥ה לִי֙ כְּמ֣וֹ אַכְזָ֔ב מַ֖יִם לֹ֥א נֶאֱמָֽנוּ
18 B Why is my sorrow perpetual and my strike incurable?
It will not heal. Will it be that you will be for me like a hoax? waters that not are dependable?
3e 4C 16
21
לָכֵ֞ן כֹּֽה־אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֗ה אִם־תָּשׁ֤וּב וַאֲשִֽׁיבְךָ֙ לְפָנַ֣י תַּֽעֲמֹ֔ד וְאִם־תּוֹצִ֥יא יָקָ֛ר מִזּוֹלֵ֖ל כְּפִ֣י תִֽהְיֶ֑ה
יָשֻׁ֤בוּ הֵ֙מָּה֙ אֵלֶ֔יךָ וְאַתָּ֖ה לֹֽא־תָשׁ֥וּב אֲלֵיהֶֽם
19 Therefore thus says Yahweh, If you will turn, then I will return you. Before me you will stand. And if you bring forth what is precious from what is vile, as my mouth you will be.
Let them turn themselves to you, and yourself, you do not turn to them.
3d 4C 33
16
וּנְתַתִּ֜יךָ לָעָ֣ם הַזֶּ֗ה לְחוֹמַ֤ת נְחֹ֙שֶׁת֙ בְּצוּרָ֔ה וְנִלְחֲמ֥וּ אֵלֶ֖יךָ וְלֹא־י֣וּכְלוּ לָ֑ךְ
כִּֽי־אִתְּךָ֥ אֲנִ֛י לְהוֹשִֽׁיעֲךָ֥ וּלְהַצִּילֶ֖ךָ נְאֻם־יְהוָֽה
20 So I will give you to this people for a fortified brass rampart, and they will fight against you, and will not overpower you,
for I am with you to save you and to deliver you, an oracle of Yahweh.
3d 4C 29
19
וְהִצַּלְתִּ֖יךָ מִיַּ֣ד רָעִ֑ים
וּפְדִתִ֖יךָ מִכַּ֥ף עָרִצִֽים
21 And I will deliver you from the hand of evil,
and I will ransom you from the palm of the ruthless.
3e 4B 9
9


No comments:

Post a Comment