Tuesday 28 August 2018

Isaiah 48

Cruising on the Uchuck III
I must continue in random order. Each chapter in a different book provides respite from the prior chapter. By the time you read this, we should be over 90% done in this reading project. Over the next years, if I am able, I will say what the impact is on me of actually reading the entire Hebrew Scripture. (I am sure I had considered that I had already read it several times before I started, but what I did in my early zeal cannot be called reading. And what some people take from such ignorant readings is nothing more than power-seeking. It should not be so among you.)

At the time that this post appears, there will be 66 chapters (excluding the psalms) that will remain to be posted. Hopefully some of them will have been done and scheduled and I will be on holiday again, on a working wooden boat that plies the north western waters of Vancouver Island.

There is a 'he' in this chapter with no antecedent. Israel, Judah, other? It is used in the context of glory. Translations following the Greek may put my name in the place of the first instance (verse 11). What then to do with verse 15 and following?

Isaiah 48 Fn Min Max Syll
שִׁמְעוּ־זֹ֣את בֵּֽית־יַעֲקֹ֗ב הַנִּקְרָאִים֙ בְּשֵׁ֣ם יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל וּמִמֵּ֥י יְהוּדָ֖ה יָצָ֑אוּ
הַֽנִּשְׁבָּעִ֣ים ׀ בְּשֵׁ֣ם יְהוָ֗ה וּבֵאלֹהֵ֤י יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ יַזְכִּ֔ירוּ לֹ֥א בֶאֱמֶ֖ת וְלֹ֥א בִצְדָקָֽה
1 Hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and from the waters of Judah, emerged,
who swear in the name of Yahweh, and in the God of Israel, they remember, not in truth and not in righteousness.
3e 4C 25
27
כִּֽי־מֵעִ֤יר הַקֹּ֙דֶשׁ֙ נִקְרָ֔אוּ וְעַל־אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל נִסְמָ֑כוּ
יְהוָ֥ה צְבָא֖וֹת שְׁמֽוֹ
2 For a holy city, they call themselves, and over the God of Israel, they support themselves.
Yahweh of hosts is his name.
3e 4C 19
7
הָרִֽאשֹׁנוֹת֙ מֵאָ֣ז הִגַּ֔דְתִּי וּמִפִּ֥י יָצְא֖וּ וְאַשְׁמִיעֵ֑ם
פִּתְאֹ֥ם עָשִׂ֖יתִי וַתָּבֹֽאנָה
3 The former things from then I made clear, and from my mouth they emerged, and I broadcast them.
Suddenly I acted, and they are coming.
3e 4B 18
9
מִדַּעְתִּ֕י כִּ֥י קָשֶׁ֖ה אָ֑תָּה
וְגִ֤יד בַּרְזֶל֙ עָרְפֶּ֔ךָ וּמִצְחֲךָ֖ נְחוּשָֽׁה
4 From my knowledge that you are intransigent,
with sinew of iron your scruff, and your forehead brazen,
3e 4C 8
14
וָאַגִּ֤יד לְךָ֙ מֵאָ֔ז בְּטֶ֥רֶם תָּב֖וֹא הִשְׁמַעְתִּ֑יךָ
פֶּן־תֹּאמַר֙ עָצְבִּ֣י עָשָׂ֔ם וּפִסְלִ֥י וְנִסְכִּ֖י צִוָּֽם
5 I told you from then, before it came, I reported to you,
lest you would say, My pained fetish did them, and my graven image, and my molten image commanded them.
3e 4C 16
15
שָׁמַ֤עְתָּֽ חֲזֵה֙ כֻּלָּ֔הּ וְאַתֶּ֖ם הֲל֣וֹא תַגִּ֑ידוּ
הִשְׁמַעְתִּ֤יךָ חֲדָשׁוֹת֙ מֵעַ֔תָּה וּנְצֻר֖וֹת וְלֹ֥א יְדַעְתָּֽם
6 You have heard, Gaze on all of it, and you, will you not make it clear?
I have reported to you what is new from now, and preserved things and you did not know them.
3e 4C 15
18
עַתָּ֤ה נִבְרְאוּ֙ וְלֹ֣א מֵאָ֔ז וְלִפְנֵי־י֖וֹם וְלֹ֣א שְׁמַעְתָּ֑ם
פֶּן־תֹּאמַ֖ר הִנֵּ֥ה יְדַעְתִּֽין
7 Now they have been created, and not from then, facing day, and you did not hear them,
lest you would say, Behold, I knew them.
3e 4C 18
8
גַּ֣ם לֹֽא־שָׁמַ֗עְתָּ גַּ֚ם לֹ֣א יָדַ֔עְתָּ גַּ֕ם מֵאָ֖ז לֹא־פִתְּחָ֣ה אָזְנֶ֑ךָ
כִּ֤י יָדַ֙עְתִּי֙ בָּג֣וֹד תִּבְגּ֔וֹד וּפֹשֵׁ֥עַ מִבֶּ֖טֶן קֹ֥רָא לָֽךְ
8 B Both you have not heard, and you did not know. Even from then, your ear was not opened.
For I know that with treachery you would betray, for transgressor from a belly, it was proclaimed of you.
3e 4C 18
18
לְמַ֤עַן שְׁמִי֙ אַאֲרִ֣יךְ אַפִּ֔י וּתְהִלָּתִ֖י אֶחֱטָם־לָ֑ךְ
לְבִלְתִּ֖י הַכְרִיתֶֽךָ
9 For the sake of my name, I will slow my anger, and for my praise, I will dampen myself for you,
so as not to cut you off.
3e 4C 18
7
הִנֵּ֥ה צְרַפְתִּ֖יךָ וְלֹ֣א בְכָ֑סֶף
בְּחַרְתִּ֖יךָ בְּכ֥וּר עֹֽנִי
10 Behold, I have refined you, but not with silver.
I have chosen you in the forge of affliction.
3e 4B 11
8
לְמַעֲנִ֧י לְמַעֲנִ֛י אֶעֱשֶׂ֖ה כִּ֣י אֵ֣יךְ יֵחָ֑ל
וּכְבוֹדִ֖י לְאַחֵ֥ר לֹֽא־אֶתֵּֽן
11 For my sake, for my sake will I act. For how will he be profaned?
But my glory to another, I will not give.
3c 4B 15
8
שְׁמַ֤ע אֵלַי֙ יַֽעֲקֹ֔ב וְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מְקֹרָאִ֑י
אֲנִי־הוּא֙ אֲנִ֣י רִאשׁ֔וֹן אַ֖ף אֲנִ֥י אַחֲרֽוֹן
12 Hear me, Jacob, and Israel whom I have called.
I am he. I am first. Also I am last.
3e 4C 15
12
אַף־יָדִי֙ יָ֣סְדָה אֶ֔רֶץ וִֽימִינִ֖י טִפְּחָ֣ה שָׁמָ֑יִם
קֹרֵ֥א אֲנִ֛י אֲלֵיהֶ֖ם יַעַמְד֥וּ יַחְדָּֽו
13 Indeed my hand laid the foundation of earth, and my right hand cloaked heaven.
I myself called to them. They stand together.
3d 4B 15
12
הִקָּבְצ֤וּ כֻלְּכֶם֙ וּֽשֲׁמָ֔עוּ מִ֥י בָהֶ֖ם הִגִּ֣יד אֶת־אֵ֑לֶּה
יְהוָ֣ה אֲהֵב֔וֹ יַעֲשֶׂ֤ה חֶפְצוֹ֙ בְּבָבֶ֔ל וּזְרֹע֖וֹ כַּשְׂדִּֽים
14 Collect yourselves, all of you, and hear. Who among them made these clear?
Yahweh has loved him. He will do his delight in Babel, and his arm, the Chaldeans.
3e 4C 17
18
אֲנִ֥י אֲנִ֛י דִּבַּ֖רְתִּי אַף־קְרָאתִ֑יו
הֲבִיאֹתִ֖יו וְהִצְלִ֥יחַ דַּרְכּֽוֹ
15 I myself, I have spoken. Indeed, I called him.
I have brought him, and his way thrives.
3d 4A 11
10
קִרְב֧וּ אֵלַ֣י שִׁמְעוּ־זֹ֗את לֹ֤א מֵרֹאשׁ֙ בַּסֵּ֣תֶר דִּבַּ֔רְתִּי מֵעֵ֥ת הֱיוֹתָ֖הּ שָׁ֣ם אָ֑נִי
וְעַתָּ֗ה אֲדֹנָ֧י יְהוִ֛ה שְׁלָחַ֖נִי וְרוּחֽוֹ
16 Come near me. Hear this. Not from the beginning in secret have I spoken. From the time that has been, there am I.
And now my Lord, Yahweh, has sent me, and his spirit.
3c 4C 24
15
כֹּֽה־אָמַ֧ר יְהוָ֛ה גֹּאַלְךָ֖ קְד֣וֹשׁ יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
אֲנִ֨י יְהוָ֤ה אֱלֹהֶ֙יךָ֙ מְלַמֶּדְךָ֣ לְהוֹעִ֔יל מַדְרִֽיכֲךָ֖ בְּדֶ֥רֶךְ תֵּלֵֽךְ
17 Thus says Yahweh, your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel,
I am Yahweh your God who teaches you to be of use, who directs you in the way you will go.
3c 4C 13
24
ל֥וּא הִקְשַׁ֖בְתָּ לְמִצְוֺתָ֑י
וַיְהִ֤י כַנָּהָר֙ שְׁלוֹמֶ֔ךָ וְצִדְקָתְךָ֖ כְּגַלֵּ֥י הַיָּֽם
18 f Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments.
Then like a river your peace would have been, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.
3e 4C 8
18
וַיְהִ֤י כַחוֹל֙ זַרְעֶ֔ךָ וְצֶאֱצָאֵ֥י מֵעֶ֖יךָ כִּמְעֹתָ֑יו
לֹֽא־יִכָּרֵ֧ת וְֽלֹא־יִשָּׁמֵ֛ד שְׁמ֖וֹ מִלְּפָנָֽי
19 Your seed would be as the sand, and the offspring of your inner parts as its particles.
Not cut off and not exterminated is his name in my presence.
3c 4C 18
12
צְא֣וּ מִבָּבֶל֮ בִּרְח֣וּ מִכַּשְׂדִּים֒ בְּק֣וֹל רִנָּ֗ה הַגִּ֤ידוּ הַשְׁמִ֙יעוּ֙ זֹ֔את הוֹצִיא֖וּהָ עַד־קְצֵ֣ה הָאָ֑רֶץ
אִמְר֕וּ גָּאַ֥ל יְהוָ֖ה עַבְדּ֥וֹ יַעֲקֹֽב
20 Go forth from Babel. Run away from the Chaldeans. With a voice of a loud shout, make clear, broadcast this.
Have it brought forth to the extremity of the earth. Say, Yahweh has redeemed his servant Jacob.
3e 4C 31
11
וְלֹ֣א צָמְא֗וּ בָּחֳרָבוֹת֙ הֽוֹלִיכָ֔ם מַ֥יִם מִצּ֖וּר הִזִּ֣יל לָ֑מוֹ
וַיִּ֨בְקַע־צ֔וּר וַיָּזֻ֖בוּ מָֽיִם
21 And they did not thirst in the deserts where he had them walk. From the rock he made water flow for them,
and he split a rock and water gushed out.
3e 4B 18
10
אֵ֣ין שָׁל֔וֹם אָמַ֥ר יְהוָ֖ה לָרְשָׁעִֽים 22 B There is no peace, says Yahweh, for the wicked. 3e 4B 10


No comments:

Post a Comment